I ordered a Spectrum 6 months ago and I’ve been following the development of the monitor on a weekly basis without creating an account here. I made one just now because I think it might be an important time for Eve to get opinions from customers.
So I will say this : it’s FINE if you delay the monitor again. Of course I would like to get it ASAP, but I prefer to wait a few months and have a complete product rather than half of it and struggling for months until we get a firmware update (if we can actually get one).
To be honnest I wasn’t surprised by the LTT video, every issue we’ve seen was coming from the firmware and we knew it wasn’t finalized yet. I do think that you shouldn’t send early review units, in my opinion it’s pointless until we’re at a stage where we can get actual measurements of the monitor’s performance.
I do not want to cancel my preorder, however you can’t ask us to pay the full price until we can get a better idea of what the monitor is capable of. If you need more time, let it be. You’ve worked on it for years, don’t ruin it by rushing the last 2 months. Keep up the good work and make something you can be proud of.