Project: Spectrum | Bird's Eye View

sbevb

Hi there, community!

Theo the community reporter is back here again! I am here now to bring you an overview of our Spectrum’s development for all yet-to-be-released lineups. This topic will be updated regularly with the progress we have accomplished in the manufacturing process. So, for those interested in Project Spectrum updates, go ahead and bookmark this topic!

Recap on the basics

This section is for those unfamiliar with the flow of Spectrum manufacturing process. The process generally follows a standardized “steps” or “timeline,” consisting of 5 milestones. The milestones are fulfilled chronologically, as seen below (click on the tab to view a detailed description).

1. Concept

The start of it all! The concept stage decided on ideas, specs, and overall design, which involved you, the community! This is when we start finding the panel supplier, a contract manufacturer (CM), provided a guideline for color, material, and finish (CMF), and prepared a product requirement document (PRD)

2. Engineering validation testing

This step is important to integrate both hardware and software and ensure that the product can perform its essential functions. In this step, “soft” tools were made and assured that all monitor parts fit together. We also start developing the firmware to drive our display panel. Of course, all processes were studied closely to find flaws in functionality, design, and finish. All findings were then reported to our CM for improvement points.

3. Design validation testing (DVT)

DVT is when we start creating the products using the same machine used for mass production. In this step, we continue developing the firmware and start making “hard” tooling for the assembly process. Devices used to manufacture then were calibrated, and operators were trained. This step includes third-party laps for testing, optimization, and certification. DVT is also when our OSD is being developed for the first time! Packaging is also tested before finally proceeding to the next milestone.

4. Production validation testing (PVT)

PVT is to make sure that the production line is up to par, so we can finally commence mass production. Here we test the stability of the assembly line and adjust the process as necessary to address any issues. This stage is when we start shipping to press and reviewers. Additionally, reliability and endurance testing is concluded here. Lastly, the builds were assessed based on quality standards to find the “one golden sample,” which became the MP standard.

5. Mass production (MP)

This is the last step! Mass production is just as the name suggests. In the early stage of MP, a test run is done with 100 units before finally being ready for shipping to our customers. That being said, shipping will commence not long after mass production starts.

Project Spectrum progress bar

Below is the progress summary for each Spectrum variation. To give you a general idea of what is happening in each milestone, the “notes” section will be filled with sub-steps or events which occurred within the timeline. Some may have a separate topic that explains the event in more detail.

ES07DC9 (4K Glossy)
TASK NAME
PROGRESS NOTES
Concept :white_check_mark: -
EVT :white_check_mark: -
DVT :white_check_mark: -
PVT :white_check_mark: PVT PCBA done. See topic
PVT completed. Currently on preparation for MP. See topic
MP :yellow_square: Project on schedule - Estimated shipping June 2022
ES07D02 (280Hz Matte)
TASK NAME
PROGRESS NOTES
EVT :white_check_mark: Problem with HDR and strobing code - see topic
Passed EVT - see topic
DVT :yellow_square: DVT PCBA done
On progress - QRE test - see topic
PVT :brown_square: -
MP :brown_square: Project on schedule - Estimated shipping Q3 2022
ES07DCA (280Hz Glossy)
TASK NAME
PROGRESS NOTES
EVT :yellow_square: Timeline unconfirmed - Pending ES07D02 development
DVT :brown_square: -
MP :brown_square: Project on schedule - Estimated shipping October 2022
ES07D01 (1440p 144Hz)
TASK NAME
PROGRESS NOTES
EVT :yellow_square: Timeline unconfirmed - Pending ES07DCA development
DVT :brown_square: -
MP :brown_square: Project on schedule - Estimated shipping Q4 2022

Info on shipping estimates

Our shipping estimates are based on our expected development time in the most realistic way. The estimate applies to all lineups currently waiting for their release.

Due to our efforts currently focused on getting ES07DC9 & ES07D02 ready, ES07DCA & ES07D01 has yet to have an established timeline. We will have more detailed information for those variants as we progress through the milestones.

As always, feel free to drop your comment below. Cheers!

nlbanner
websitediscordtwitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

13 Likes

So, if I understand correctly, you’re taking money now for pre-orders for products that are still in the concept (“idea”) stage and haven’t even started any form of engineering validation.

Isn’t that even earlier in the development cycle than when kickstarters normally start requesting money for products?

1 Like

Still eagerly awaiting my glossy 280 hz panel. I expect it will best all the current monitors on the market (and near future) in terms of customizability of settings and tuning from blur busters. Can you guys possibly do an update/piece on the progress of VRR + strobe tuning? I’m pretty sure many of us here would be happy to read the process blur busters is going through to get this feature in a good state (post it closer to when the feature is almost ready for testing). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s a shame this is taking so long but I appreciate the intent of this post. I am also very interested in learning more about the VRR + strobe tuning process. I would love to have engineers or designers within Eve’s team. They will develop a chip similar to what Nvidia’s G-Sync module does. I feel that it is a very superior feature, but unfortunately Nvidia sells it very expensive and limits a lot in functionality and connectivity for monitors currently. Now curiously VESA dares to create its own AdaptiveSync and MediaSync certification when it has been known for a long time. FreeSync and G-Sync Compatible is based primarily on Adaptive-Sync because it was a feature they created for DisplayPort. 2 news in case anyone wants to take a look:

Is the objective supposed to be to speed up the process of choosing a new screen? I laugh in front of VESA’s face. I feel that this certification is very late and does not present any improvement or at least from what I have read. It doesn’t demand anything new like variable overdrive, it’s the same as FreeSync! F*ck! If you present me with something new, something better than the competition. I hate your shitty certifications about HDR. They don’t understand the performance a screen should display. Manufacturers have taken advantage of certifications like HDR400&600 and will do the same with this. In my opinion, the brilliant screen that Eve markets has more merit than the bullshit VESA certification. I wish with all my heart, this what I have said for a future: develop a chip similar to Nvidia’s G-Sync module without design limitations, functionalities, connectivity, cheaper… I want something like this to be normalized in any monitor on the market. Since Nvidia’s G-Sync has a range of 1 Hz up to the maximum hertz that the screen supports and that’s great. If that custom chip could do VRR + strobe tuning. You have to understand that there are people who use G-Sync for low frequencies and the experience that it offers to those people is simply wonderful.
I don’t know… I think there are ideas that we can all capture here in the comments and take inspiration Eve, in which one day you can materialize those ideas. Technology can always improve and… Nvidia is doing absolutely nothing for G-Sync and to me VESA is a bad joke that creates “quality” standards.

7 Likes

Hi @Phil,

ES07DCA and ES07D01 are no longer in concept phase, that’s why they are in green.

Hi @Liquidshadowfox,

Thats a good idea. Let me see how I can make that a reality :slight_smile:

Hi @RocketJumpBlur,

I will bring the idea about the chip to the team.

Personally, I think standards were meant to make it easier for both manufacturers and consumers to provide features, etc. However, it seems like we are starting on a trend of making things more “unstandardized” by keeping on adding more standards to the side.

I believe there is a bright side to this. Assuming that the VESA standard can become a de-facto standard for the industry, we will worry less about compatibility and stability. Everybody wins!

5 Likes

Sadly, VESA’s standard as they mentioned allows a 20% error rate for overshoot which is unacceptable and then 15% for undershoot which makes no sense. Most reviewers complain when monitors have 20% overshoot which leads to those red graphs of companies claiming “1ms response time” when they SHOULD have done 10% overshoot/undershoot at WORST. Blur buster approved in my opinion is a MUCH better standard to go by as they for sure FORCE the manufacturer to include flexibility in their OD controls and must have a good enough response time for good backlight strobing.

I think people don’t understand how much of a difference backlight strobing can make to viewing graphics in motion (like the old CRT days). Anyways, I think eve definitely bet on the right horse by going the “tuned by blur busters” route which means significantly more to me than any of these worthless “Standards” and labels that do nothing more than confuse consumers more or just give companies the excuse to release mediocre displays.

3 Likes

You just take the words out of my mouth. In fact, that excess >15% (with graphic scores clearly) is shown in the new methodology of Hardware Unboxed for a few months or 1 year ago. My anger and frustration comes from there… VESA gives me that feeling. From what shows an incomplete standard, you can do a thousand tests… As many as you want. But it does not present optimal performance or better than expected in games or any visual content. It’s disgusting garbage… No one absolutely no one will notice the difference between Adaptive-Sync and FreeSync or G-Sync because both are based on the same thing… In this industry it’s not hard to find a monitor because it has G-Sync or FreeSync… It’s hard to find a monitor that meets your requirements and the manufacturer shows you the data sheet and not “1ms GtG” ok… Perfect, what do you mean by that? VESA does not require absolutely anything hahahaha… It only creates standards halfway. Then the manufacturers will do what suits them. There is a table or graph that KitGuru shows the VESA criteria. I don’t know if all those criteria are but it looks very bad and you yourself have said it in the first paragraph @Liquidshadowfox “tuned by blur busters” is way better by far than this VESA shit. It’s the right way to provide more flexibility in OD controls based on monitor temperature, environment temperature, adjust and correct screen crosstalk, variable and flexible overdrive… Lots of things I’m forgetting to mention. I don’t understand what these VESA people are doing…

1 Like

I think that Eve seriously needs to look at whether the ES07D01 model even makes sense to produce any more.

There is a lot of competition in the 1440p@144Hz area of the market. Just doing a quick search on NewEgg, I count 46 monitors with these specs that are less expensive than the ES07D01 (or 41 if you don’t include the stand). There’s bound to be many more models out there from brands that NewEgg don’t stock.

Has anyone at Eve actually done some serious, recent market analysis on this end of the market? Have you checked that the ES07D01 is still a viable product given the amount of competition out there? Will you make enough profit from the monitor to offset the production costs?

The ES07D01 does offer some features that are hard to find in the market segment (USB-C connectivity w/ 100W PD, DisplayHDR certification, factory calibration) but are they actually enough to win sales, especially with Eve’s public track record of delays and shipping problems?

3 Likes

Honestly as hard as it is to believe, if they implement the VRR + strobing correctly it will actually have a niche where it’s the cheapest monitor that’s “tuned by blur busters” that’s actually QHD. If people are buying it for creative purposes or don’t care about backlight strobing they should look elsewhere.

1 Like

I also think the same. There are so many 1440p 144hz or 165hz monitors but there is not much difference between them. They offer good value, but not a remarkable product. 1440p 240Hz or higher monitors are very unconventional. Graphics cards are pushing more and more fps, be it by lowering the quality of the graphics, lowering the resolution, methods like deep learning when building an image from low resolution to higher, optimizations in the graphics engine of games, etc. I don’t know, from my point of view I would buy a 1440p 240hz monitor. I myself returned a Dell branded 1440p 165hz monitor for various reasons and… 240hz or higher will set you up for the future. I will not notice changes in the response time of the screen because I am a user who does or does require the use of the blacklight strobing function. It is a bit irrelevant to me that 2 monitors 1440p 144 Hz is a little faster than the other. There is not such a significant impact. But… I can understand that there are people who want an Eve brand monitor and it is more affordable for them. I would go yes or yes to the QHD 280 Hz model for several reasons that meet my needs.

Yeees please! :pray: :pleading_face: :sparkles: :heartpulse: I would like to be informed about my recent request. At least it is under development to implement it in the future. I’m not going to ask for something rushed and implemented right now. It takes a long time to develop something like that. No one gives anything away like Nvidia or they don’t have enough balls to carry a feature that works really well and provides an experience as it should be. Not enough of a function with its limitations and well… VESA :unamused:… Eve is the first to market with glossy coated displays. It may also be the first to develop a chip similar to Nvidia’s physical G-Sync without limitations on connectivity and features. Sorry if I repeat myself… It’s what I want the most along with VRR + backlight strobing.

1 Like

Why is ES07D01 take priority over ES07DCA when ES07DCA was only available to order this year.
ES07D01 was available to order since two years ago and it’s obviously off-track of the target schedule.

Kindly have your team review whether it is possible to have parallel development.

Hi @yeo1992cc,

Parallel development is definitely considered, as this is happening right now with ES07D02 and ES07DC9.

1 Like

so some of these say to ship june 22, but i cant get something i ordered back in november? ok dont believe any of this

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Added update for ES07D02 - DVT resumed, QRE test currently in progress. Another topic covering this will be published soon!

EDIT: It has been published!

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

Added update for ES07DC9 - PVT completed. Currently undergoing preparation for mass production! You can find the topic here.

4 Likes