Project Muse Prototype and Specs are here!

Oh I know what you’re talking about. Overall I’d prefer to cut corners on touch features because buttons are easier to use blind and they can be finicky in general. The gesture I believe is covering the right earcup with your hand turns on ambient mode and pauses your media so that you can hear someone. It’s definitely cool and I’d want the Muse to have the ability to raise the volume of the environment when we want but perhaps through a button or dial (as on the surface headphones), instead

3 Likes

Very much agreed here. If we’re going to do replaceable batteries, hotswap is a must - it needs to be seamless. Capacitance would be ideal (20s to swap your battery before shutting down would be AWESOME). Additional charger as an option would be great.

1 Like

Dunno about that, i’m fine with most of these controls, as long as they’re well implemented.

So for example, if you were to add buttons, pls don’t take the generic " Button press sends button down command to device " approach, but rather just do it smoothly on board, for example :

(logic) 
( wait for confirmation of intent, if button is held for more than 200ms, start routine, otherwise ramp up by fixed amount ) 
( for as long as the button is held, update at some rate, like 100 times a second, increase/decrease the gain a small amount based on the direction of the button ) 
( Maybe throw in an ease curve in there, maybe not )
(end logic)

Implementation Notes on this : On iOS you can set the absolute device volume based on internal playback volume on the headset, so you’ll be able to provide full volume range without any extra work involved, while Android doesn’t have the API for that so that’s a bummer for android users who’ll have to deal with two volume bars. On windows, same as android, but that’s the expected behaviour.

With dials it’s just dials. I’d love dials. Dials are the best. But you’re going to have to do a circular cup design for dials. Or tack it on as a small thing somewhere on the edge. At which point it’s just a little better than a pair of buttons.

And touch, if you have a Zik2/Zik3 in the office, just do that, that one does it almost perfectly, except the leather surface, which stretches and deforms if you’re not gentle.

1 Like

Those drivers pieces kind of remind me of iron man’s arc reactor.

How about calling it:

• Eve ArcDriver
    or
  • Eve Tersus Driver
    tip: “Tersus” comes from latin
2 Likes

VE Monk+? Those are pretty good and dirt cheap. try them. Also I hear good words about Yincrow X6 but haven’t tried them yet. I’m sure either of these can beat the crap out of anything Samsung makes :slight_smile:

There are more ways to achieve this. We could make the dial bigger, but extend the cup beyond just the dial. Just look at some DJ mixing boards and you’ll see the CD scratcher is a design we could implement.

Yeah, I had the same idea when first saw them. Arc reactors.

About the app(s). If Eve will open source the basic/rough app for changing headphone settings, people of the web will easily create all ports to any OSes and nice UI. If I’ll ever buy it I’ll definitely do that.

Old post, but just a correction, Android has had unified volume control with Bluetooth for years.

Dos this chipset from Qualcomm enables google’s fast pair?

1 Like

I think a good idea would be to have the battery repairable/replaceable. I imagine that as a proprietary solution that will offer that option when it’s needed. My hope is it fits in a well structured and good looking headphone.

I think the problem with replacable batteries is there’s an inescapable trade-off in terms of bulk. It may not seem much but a non-replaceable battery can be integrates much more closely into the design and therefore can result in reduced bulk and possibly even a little weight.

There are plenty who know a lot more than me - is this correct?

2 Likes

Yep and as @pauliunas has pointed out, it can introduce physical elements, such as springs or latches, that would need excellent dampening to prevent reduction of sound quality.

1 Like

I wonder if QCC5124 would allow Bluetooth multipoint connection, that would allow to connect headphones to 2 or more devices at the same time.

According to the specifications it doesn’t look like it does:
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc5124

Doesn’t Bluetooth 5 offer this feature? In that case, it kinda does allow it.

Muse and Audiodo?
——————————————-

@eepi56 say again? If you’re looking for an update on Muse, check the pinned threads on the home page! Testing is going on for Muse !

It’s probably a bit late, but I would like to propose 1 killer feature: make the microphone (and maybe media controls) in the headset available on the wired interface.

This would make the headset a lot more useful, eg. allowing higher audio quality when placing calls (Bluetooth HSP still kinda sucks) and connecting to things like console remotes.

I’m not sure why other vendors don’t do this, but for me it would make the Muse an interesting product.

I thought perhaps it’s a power draw issue but I thought back to my old microphone from the netmeeting days and it was solely powered by the 3.5mm jack so you never know what’s doable.

I don’t think typical consumer grade microphones with 2.5mm phono jack use phantom power.

Either way, the battery of the headphones could still be used to power the microphone and some circuitry to transform the signal.

I think the main reason it isn’t implemented is headphones vendors using cheap off the shelf, all-in-one chips that do not support this feature.