So here we are… Post 1!!!
…Previously after a positive poll we decided to start the project! The project goal is to design a carrying “item” for our device and all our goodies. we talk about “Item” for now because we do not know yet if it will be a messenger bag, a tote bag, a backpack, etc
The project plan has been published. Check it here!
Now. Here we are ready to kick it with phase one but…
OPEN THIS! This is a cool thing!
Before we dig into it… and no worries… this is just a rough sketch! as you can see here I made a sketched banner image illustrating our project path.This will evolve in time and change. In the future posts this will be on top of each post to help visually to understand what stage we are in!! What we understood from previous steps and what we decided… You will see it from the next post as top image in the post.
Bzzzzt end of announcement.
Ok now, we start. And this is where we start from: the people, us…
In this first phase the focus is on understanding what we are currently using and why we have the setup we have. To understand how we like to carry things and what we carry with us. This phase is about our habits, our stories, our products and our pain points. This will help to define “us” as a group and to find valuable data that will help us to define our design scope and what is the “reason” of our product.
THE GOALS OF THE PHASE
- Warm up about the topic.
- Define our user group and current pain points.
- Collect data to support our design process.
- Feel great!! Because we are starting a new project
- Vote in the 3 polls you find here
- Tell your story! Focus on the “WHY” you made the decisions you made… To clarify this see my example post at the bottom!
Ok, now is on YOU. Please start warm up with this 3 polls and then fill in your story!
POLL 1: What I like to carry with me…
Important note: The goal is to understand what type of attitude you have towards packing to go to your work place or university, or similar places where you are going to use your device.
- As little as possible. I do not like at all to carry things around.
- I like to carry with me only the essentials.
- I like to carry with me the things I need and couple of more items. Essential items and little bit of extra.
- I want to have with me all the important things and much more. I want to be always prepared!
- Other. Please specify in your story!
POLL 2: Generally, how I like to carry things…
Important note: When you are comparing between these options please take into consideration that you would be carrying the same weight for the same amount of time (in each of the options listed).
- I love to carry things just by hand.
- I like to carry things primarily on one shoulder but also by hand.
- I only carry things on one shoulder. This is my way.
- I love to carry things on the back on both shoulders.
- Other. Please specify in your story!.
POLL 3: What I generally use.
Important note: Please vote the item you are primarily using accordantly to your current lifestyle.
- Actually nothing. No idea why I am here. All my things are already where I go.
- I usually only carry a simple sleeve.
- I use a briefcase. Or similar item with only top handle and without a shoulder strap.
- I use a hand bag. With top handle and a shoulder strap.
- I use a messenger bag (or laptop bag). That I use primarily on one shoulder.
- I use a backpack.
- Other. Please specify in your story!.
Now… STORY TIME! (Super important!)
In this story part the goal is to share what is your current setup and introduce your self! In this story part the focus should be on 4 things, in no particular order.
- What are you currently using and why…
- What are you carrying with you…
- How do you commonly move…
- Your current pain points or what you wish would be different in your setup.
This is my story…
Dario here. I am designer and I use my backpack / bag to go to work everyday :). (HOW) I travel to work by bus and overall I do not walk more than 10 minutes from home to bus stop and from bus stop to work. I usually also travel a bit and I use this type of product only for very short trips when i do not need any extra clothes or extra things with me.
(The WHAT) The product that I am currently using is a Tucano “hybrid” bag. With hybrid I mean a weird bag that becomes also a back pack or the other way around . This is the actual product I am currently using. I found the pic from this second hand shop from a mysterious Italian website:
(The WHY) I have started using this product because I wanted to test a product that does “a bit of everything”. (has a handle like a laptop bag, backpack straps for easy carry and a shoulder strap just in case.) My goal was to test how I would interact with this product in different environments and different situations. To understand what is the best for me. I know sounds a bit weird, but I like this sort of things .
FYI what I noticed is that I find myself switching between shoulder bag - back pack and hand bag (using the top handle) mainly because of 3 factors.
- How long of a journey I need to make. (SHORT hand - shoulder - backpack LONG)
- What is the weight i am carrying (LIGHT hand - shoulder - backpack HEAVY)
- What is the situation I am in. (FORMAL hand - shoulder - backpack INFORMAL)
Another reason why I choose to use this product is that it allows me to carry a lot of things… Consequently because of the weight of my bag the optimal way to carry it is on my back as backpack, I find myself using it like this most of the times.
About this… (The WHAT) I am carrying always with me is:
15 inch laptop, power brick and charging cable, mouse, headphones, mouse pad, extra little cables, couple of books, a lot of paper, notepad, post-it, paper tape, pens and pencils.
I like to carry these things with me (The WHY) because I always want to be ready to work on the road and be mobile with my station. I like to feel geared up with my things
Too much "Compromise"
The idea of a product that can be used in different ways is potentially good, but this product for me is not successful. It is true, I find myself using the product as shoulder bag or back pack in different moments of the day and this means that the versatility that the product offers is a need for me.
But overall it feels like it is a compromise that does not allow the product to succeed fully in any of the areas.
For instance the pockets with the zippers are designed as the product would be a messenger bag (horizontal), because of this when I turn it if the zipper is not closed perfectly I risk to drop little items!
Protection not good
For what I would to have the product does not offer enough protection to impact or weather. The textile material is quite resistant but does not offer real protection for water.
Hardware are not reliable
For what I would like to have the product has quite low quality zippers and hardware. One zipper started to get stacked during use and I replaced the zipper pullers to better ones…
Size and space management not optimal
I don´t really know how to phrase this. But the product is quite big and this is not a problem. But big enough to carry probably even double of what i usually carry, if I would place everything properly.
The problem is that i do not need that. But what usually happens is that I need to go to training after work and I end up taking an extra bag during those days. I do not really like this.
The problem is that the product I am currently using has a very fixed form factor and the space is divided inside so that it is not possible to put small shoes or some extra clothes.
So the bag is spacious enough, and this is good but does not fit with my need that sometime I would like to insert extra items such shoes, a towel and extra light clothes for training
So the product does not consider the extra activities I do “after” work. That would be great for me!
I have no attachment to this product really. In these months that I have been using it did not managed to click with me. It serves the purpose of carrying my things and it does an OK job. But it ends there. I would like to carry a product that tell a story that I want to tell forward. But maybe this is just me!
Now it is your turn! What is your story??
SUMMARY OF WHAT TO DO.
- Read the post
- Vote in the polls
- Write about your product type and why you use it
- Write about what you carry with you and how you usually move
- Share your Pain Points in your current setup!
… And please feel FREE to share your story in the way that it is the most suitable for you. You do not have to follow the structure I suggested BUT always remember what is the GOAL of this post and what is the REASON of this phase.
See you in the thread!