Overclock for Dummies

Hi there,
even though it’s quite long time i frequent the Community, being a Spectrum owner, it’s my first topic here. First of all, I 'd like to say Hi, everyone.
Than, I’d turn to my question:
someone here is so kind to help a Newbie like me, introducing the basic for an easy OverClock?
I recently bought an Msi Rtx 3070 Ti, and I’d like to squeeze a little bit the baby.
Is it really worth or what? any suggestion and/or consideration?
Thank you in advance, by the way!

2 Likes

With the newer Nvidia cards (like yours), overclocking is really simple. Install MSI Afterburner and you have the ability to let the software do an automatic overclock. It takes a while (more than half an hour on my RTX 2070) but it’ll figure out how far the card can be pushed safely.

You can go beyond that, but you’re looking at manually setting voltage + core/memory clocks. That involves a whole lot of trial and error, and I’m personally not convinced that it’s worth the additional effort over letting the software decide.

4 Likes

if i recall there is an gpu overclock software msi afterbirner you can downlaod. it will detect what gpu you have and it will have a like an easy gpu boost mode which will overclock your gpu to a safe level. overclocking any further without overclocking experince will lead to your gpu crashing. i don’t overclock my gpus. the rtx 30 series are pretty solid cards. also overclocking will consume more power/energy and your machine will run a bit more warm.

2 Likes

What im talking about is: In case I’d like to learn the manual procedure, could really that help a better enjoyment of new games titles?
I started playing to Cyberpunk and what I noticed is:
4k resolution, almost every setting set on Ultra = it’s 7 out 10. the grafic quality is outstanding, but the problem came from lagging, very annoying, occourring everytime the game sfocus turns in a busy spot.
Inevitably it turns into a Fps drop.
May I assumes that a well made O.C. will turn my card in something suitable for 4k games, or it’s just right for that class of gear to deliver that level of performances?
'Cause FHD, full Ultra setting, Ray tracying hdr, it Blows Up, 120Fps stable. Isn’t it strange all this headroom between the two scenarios?

1 Like

cyberpunk is a very buggy game. to gain better performance you can go into the settings and lower certain settings that don’t matter much to you thus improving performance a bit. cyberpunk does offer DLSS support to help maintain visual while having better FPS. nvidia also has within geforce experience to optimize your game based on your hardware. that will also help you have better performance or at least stable performance. having ray tracing and hdr on will take a toll on fps thus dlss is what you want to have on. there are several different modes it offers so pick the one that you want. example visual/quality only, performance only or balance which contains both visual and performance.

3 Likes
  1. For a start, overclocking a CPU and/or GPU in any meaningful way is very dependent on your cooling setup. Make sure both are either liquid cooled or have access to plenty of cool airflow. If it can’t stay cool, it will cause damage to your hardware and be more prone to crashes.

2. The jump from FHD (1080p) to 4K is a jump of four times the pixels to push to your screen. (from 2 million to 8.2 million pixels) The more complex the scene is, the more time must be spent rendering each pixel. 4K @ 60fps has been an extremely high goal for gaming performance. RTX 3090 is Not Enough to Run Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K | gamepressure.com

3. QHD or 1440p (2560 x 1440) is a happy medium between FHD and 4K. On a 27 inch monitor, QHD is sharp enough to not have distracting pixelation, and low-res enough to not tax the GPU much more than 1080p would.

4. @LoneWolf is right, make sure DLSS is turned on and set for high quality. This will increase your fps, with a minimal quality reduction.

3 Likes

You certainly get slightly better performance out of a manual overclock. The automatic process tends to be a bit more conservative, so manual overclocking might allow you to bump the overclock amounts 10-20% higher.

For example, the reference base clock of a 3070 Ti is 1575MHz. The automatic overclock might choose an overclock of +97MHz, bringing the base clock to 1672MHz (+6.16%). A manual overlock might get you up to +110MHz, bringing the base clock to 1685MHz (+6.98%). While the overlock value is 13-14% higher, the overall performance increase is only about +0.8%.

Manual overclocking certainly does make sure that you can get every last drop of performance out of your GPU. The big question is whether you’re willing to put in the effort for what’s likely going to be an extra couple of FPS.

(Check out these videos for examples of people doing manual vs automatic OC comparisons on newer Nvidia cards.)

And as the others have said, GPU cooling makes the biggest difference in potential performance. As the cards get hotter, they start throttling to avoid getting into an overheat situation. Improving your case’s airflow or moving to a water cooler will get you bigger net benefits than a manual OC.

4 Likes