Open source firmware for the Spectrum monitor?

So this post was inspired by this:

Now the real question is do you guys find it relevant? Or is it more of a very niche feature? Can someone tell more about use cases for the custom monitor firmware and what’s wrong in the firmware of monitors in the market today? :nerd_face:

Cheers!

13 Likes

i didnt even imagine that monitors could have custom firmare :o:O

8 Likes

Yes, this is very important as I discussed here. Open-source firmware would enable advanced features to set Spectrum apart from other monitors:

• Custom 3D-LUT (for precise color calibration in specific environments and color spaces; shareable with other users)
  • Backlight frequency control (for eye-strain and backlight strobing adjustment)
  • Fine control of EOTF/gamma curve (to avoid crushed blacks and highlights, as per “SMPTE ST2084”, SpectraCal, page 4)
  • Updates to UI interface and display mode presets
12 Likes

I saw that Reddit post. I don’t know much about it, but definitely sounds like a nice thing to have based on what’s been mentioned here. Unless it’d significantly add to costs of development, I think it’s a good idea! No reason not to, really.

2 Likes

While it sounds great, I think its also a good recipe to get tons of warranty RMA on bricked monitors…

Is it possible to make it more user-friendly and idiot-proof? Think of the computer BIOS, you can overclock your CPU however you like, but with a simple switch, all settings will be reset to default.

Its also possible to be safe with modifying the firmware, but you need to implement dual BIOS feature.

8 Likes

I don’t know enough about it to have a clear answer. But my main concerns right now are to the drawbacks of an open source firmware. Would it still be able to support free sync? Hdr? Stuff like that

2 Likes

All the features would remain the same and it’s only for a person who knows what he/she is doing to give an option to make changes. So for most people it would just be a normal monitor in that sense :slight_smile:

That is an interesting idea Patrick and could for sure make sense! We ll just need to find out what you would like to get done with custom firmware :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I was actually thinking of asking the same thing, but then I gave up…
If it’s possible, please, OPEN FIRMWARE :blush:

4 Likes

Open source is catchall term nowadays for many things so it really doesn’t matter unless you are willing to discuss what types of licenses you would be willing to consider.
In terms of just more control over the monitor like Marty was saying all of those sound very good, of course. I don’t know if it would make huge sale number differences, though, it does sound niche.

I think making the firmware open-source would be a great idea for a number of reasons.
I also think there have to be some limitations, however, as this could really cause you RMA problems. Easiest way would be to open it only after 6-12 months after release and allow the download only AFTER submitting a form with the S/N of the device, informing that messing with the provided firmware might invalidate the device’s warranty and repairs might require to pay additional money, at the sole discretion of Eve.

Once this is solved, here are the main advantages I can see:

• After you discontinue the product, the community can keep maintaining and improving the device
  • While you’re still supporting it, the community can help addressing issues or even implement additional features and propose them for “pull” in your main product

In other words, you would set the base for an open, state-of-the-art firmware that would live long after the product itself and may even be used in the years to come by the industry to standardise the features, bringing advantages to the customers in terms of costs, functionality and uniformity. You would shake the market and give your brand visibility.

2 Likes

Your idea reminds me of qmk firmware for keyboards, which is extremely versatile and powerful for those who take the time to use its features and completely immaterial to those who want to use their keyboard in a stock state. A development like this firmware for monitors would be an amazing thing.

2 Likes

I’m just going to add my YES to this. I wouldn’t probably tweak the firmware by myself, but I would want the wider community to do so. It doesn’t only mean someone can tweak the firmware for themselves, but also that people can contribute to test and improve the official firmware for everyone.

It makes sense in a crowd-developed product. Also, it would mean joining an ethical movement to respect user’s freedoms. The first Free Software Foundation endorsed monitor? :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Could a way to deal with people possibly accidentally bricking their monitors be fixed by having a fallback firmware installed that can be swapped to via a switch? I know there’s a few GPU’s that have that feature, it’s a matter of how much that would add to the price of the monitor, though.

2 Likes

I am also a big fan of the open source idea. Sure, we still would need to find the fitting license, but like it was already compared to QMK Firmware, this really is a fun thing for enthusiasts and steps in a direction of community can keep product alive instead of company splitting scarce resources on product portfolio. Also, it is more independent from some company down the supply chain that just doesn’t deliver a patch (… :smirk: ).
Eve has good connections to other companies. Couldn’t you ask other companies that have open source firmware for their products (all the mechanical keyboard companies that qmk firmware is applicable to), if they actually have higher RMA rate on their open source products?

in short: +1

3 Likes

Yes please this would be great

Whether there’s danger of bricking depends on the controller firmware. If you implement the boot loader in a protected chunk of firmware that checks for boot load instructions at startup and handles the flashing itself, there’s not much risk of things going terminally wrong.

1 Like

I’d just like more fine tuned controls for gamma and overdrive (also variable overdrive).

Most monitors have 2-3 gamma controls and over drive controls with only one setting being of any use. It would be nice to have 5 point adjustments, particularly for gamma. To ensure that everyone can hit their desired target.

If there’s no variable overdrive, it would be good to at least be able to tune it based on Hz ranges creating a good adaptive overdrive. Say for example, level 2 for 60-80 Hz, level 3 for 80-100, level 4 for 100-120, and level 5 for 120 plus.

Also, it would be good to be have full calibration controls for both sRGB and DCI color spaces. Seems that all monitors don’t allow for calibration of sRGB if they have extended color ranges. It can make normal content look overly reddish.

3 Likes

Another vote for a programmable open firmware. This should allow for community - driven improvements and fine tuning of things like variable overdrive, strobing, UI etc and introduction of new features over time.

This will put it a definite step above any other monitor on the market with which you’re stuck with whatever half hearted firmware and bugs you got when you paid for it for the entire life of the monitor.

The only thing, as others have said, is to build in a fail safe in the event of a corrupted or non working firmware or failed flash.

Monitors are such a long term purchase, potentially outlasting any other component of the system, making something like this even more important, assuming the rest of the specs are decent enough (which currently sounds like they are - depending on the price).

2 Likes

Big fan of this idea. Screwing around with the firmware is going to lead to interesting and convenient things. It’s going to end up where no other company can follow so I’d vote go for it.

I also love the idea of open source monitor firmware. If possible also add some UART/SPI/I2C/GPIO pins for hackability. Think about using a button on an Arduino to quickly switch between different inputs or to add external sensors to set display brightness.

Warranty might be tricky though.