Only 60 Hz expecting 144 Hz

Hi there,

Unpacked my ES07D03 today and hooked it up to my PC.
Windows 11 (Education), displayport, AMD Radeon RX480.

I’m only getting a max 60 Hz refresh option in Windows while I expected 144Hz.

Anybody got a tip / suggestion?

Cheers,

Eochaidh

In that topic, they talk about having enough performance to deliver 144 FPS in games, not about if rx 480 has ports that can deliver 4K 144 hz.

1 Like

This might help you.
Fix 144hz Monitor Only Showing 60hz - YouTube

1 Like

Only shows 60 Hz there :frowning:

Refresh rate on rx 480 - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips
Another person is having the same issue. DisplayPort was supposed to help go above 60 but it did nothing. I’m not an AMD guy so sadly I won’t be of much help. Sorry

144Hz at what resolution?

The RX480 supports DisplayPort 1.4, but without DSC (display stream compression). Without DSC, the best you can get is 4K @ 120Hz without HDR, or 4K @ 98Hz with HDR.

It should be possible to get 144Hz at either 1080p or 1440p resolutions.

Only the latest RDNA-based Radeons support DSC.

4 Likes

On my ancient GTX 970, I get locked in at 60 Hz via DP or HDMI if HDR is enabled. If I disable HDR, on HDMI I can get 120 Hz, DP still locked at 60 Hz. The GTX 970 specs specifically state that it will support 4K @ 60 Hz, and it’s DP (1.2) connection seems to verify that - however, for whatever (odd) reason, the HDMI (2.0b) connection seems capable of supporting 120 Hz even though the card is specifically rated at 60 Hz only - but only if I set it to use YCbCr420 (8bit) colors. If I go to RGB, it also reverts to 60 Hz.

Which RX 480 do you have (as in who make the actual card, AMD, or an AIB like MSI, ASUS, etc.? The full specs of the AMD RX 480 show it supports 4k HDR over a DP 1.4 connection but as NZGeek notes, we do not support DSC currently, so the ability to get 144 Hz with your card is limited, if it is even able to. It seems that card is much newer than my GTX 970, so it might be doable - but we need more information. Technically, my GTX 970 should never be able to do above 60 Hz, but obviously it can - because it’s not from nVidia, it’s made and sold by eVGA, just using the nVidia GPU. eVGA’s website says 4K @ 60 Hz full stop - yet I’m using it right now with 120 Hz.

1 Like

I don’t know anymore what brand my 480 is. I might pop open my pc to have a look.

Been trying to buy an new GPU for a while, but waiting for a bit more normal prices.

Today a DP 1.4 capable cable will arrive. I don’t know what my current cable is verified for so that might do the trick to up the Hz rate.

2 Likes