Thanks to @inffy we have just discovered that OP marketing team completely failed at communicating the messaging and tone intended by the OP management team! Unfortunately this is all too common to see those “we know everything better” marketing teams that have this itching urge to control and intervene in every PR effort just to justify their existence and value for the company to keep charging $$$. And sadly as a company you end up with a lot of overdone, confusing, but good looking and designed with all latest trends in mind crap that costs a little fortune and sometimes a lot of frustration and bad press…
This what this event was meant to be:
And this is how it was communicated on official channels…
OnePlus team is known for their not so ordinary marketing stunts in the past.
Some of them played better than others…
So here comes another twist from the OnePlus team, on Nov 16th if you happen to be in NYC and you don’t mind buying a $40 ticket, you would be able to attend a live unveiling and and hands-on event. Typically such events are free to attend, unless they are organised as a part of some major trade show, such as Computex (which btw is actually free to attend).
Here is the short take on the reasoning from the OnePlus team:
General Admission includes:
- Reserved seating
- A swag bag upon check-in (includes: OnePlus Travel Backpack, OnePlus Hoodie, OnePlus Baseball Cap)
- The earliest hands-on experience with the new OnePlus 5T
- Snacks and drinks
- A fun time with Pete, Carl, and the OnePlus team
- Ticket sale proceeds will go to help the advancement of tech innovation.
- We strongly recommend you to read through the FAQs for more details.
Why does this event cost $40 to attend?
Although we want to include as many fans as possible, there will be limited seats available. Charging for admission helps us get an accurate head count of who will attend on the big day. Ticket sale proceeds will go to help the advancement of tech innovation.
The complete listing of the event can be found here: OnePlus 5T NYC Launch Event
Would you buy a ticket if you were in NYC?
- Yes, I would you buy a ticket for OnePlus 5T launch event if I was in NYC?
- No, because I am not interested ticketed launch events
- No, because I am not interested in OnePlus
- Please share in the comments what do you think about this event?
- Would you want EVE to host similar events for V? If yes, what would you suggest EVE do different for our events?