One liner update [01.09]

official
update

No. This is only for HEB and LEB to update their already ordered Vs and to buy additional toys.

Maybe some may not know the HEB and LEB ?

HEB - hyper early bird - those who ordered V on IndieGoGo as first batch (first 500 units) and paid in full in November 2016
LEB - limited early bird - those who ordered V on IndieGoGo as second batch and paid partly in November 2016 with rest in February 2017

Thank you !
Waiting for the update price tags :open_umbrella:

@Konstantinos is the panel we are using the Sharp SHP1482 / LQ123Z1 which is also used by the Dell 7285 tablet?

I finally found a review of the device (unfortunately in german) here:

It states that the contrast is amazing and the brightness quite high (in some areas), however the brightness seems to vary to a high degree.

I hope the uneven brightness will be something Eve will QC prior to shipping.

From the above mentioned German review:

Device - Dell Latitude 7285 2-in-1
Display - 12.3-inch IGZO touch screen with digitizer function, glossy, Sharp SHP1482 / LQ123Z1
Resolution - 2880 x 1920, 287 ppi
Minimum brightness - 26.7 nits
Approx. 150 nits at brightness level 4 (181 nits)
Approx. 200 nits at brightness level 5 (223 nits)
Maximum brightness - 445 nits
Maximum brightness display center (profiled) - 440 nits (441 nits)
Maximum brightness display center battery - 441 nits
Black value Display center (profile) - 0.145 nits (0.141 nits)
Illumination - 79%
sRGB color space cover - 99.9%
Contrast Display Center - 1:3068
Average DeltaE 2000 (profile) - 4.1 (3.4)
Maximum DeltaE 2000 (profile) - 8.4 (6.9)
Brightness control by pulse width modulation - Yes, to brightness level 3 with 1042 Hz

The display was measured and analyzed with Portrait Displays Spectracal Calman Software.

Biggest difference for us is that we will get much better Delta measurements as each screen is color calibrated individually! We will make sure that during QC we take evenly bright displays. As you can see display we have can have higher brightness too it’s a matter of tolerances :slight_smile:

looks good to me :heart_eyes:
All posts about doubting screen quality, brightness and other supposed losses, READ

this is of concern to me, as combined with the post above, the 1tb that is going to be offered doesn’t seem to have encryption. I think I’ll stick with the 500gb intel, since that offers encryption AFAIK.

Sounds great, hopefully will be just as good in the V

for me as a native german speaker there is nothing to read about a great display in this article. It is called “average” and “not for professional use”…

This is a quick translation of the reviews “Display” part to english per edge translator addOn:

Dell Latitude 7285 2-in-1: display

• Resolution & viewing angle stability:
    Dell uses a high-definition sharp IGZO display in the latitude of 7285. With 2,880 x 1,920 pixels, it offers a particularly fine point density of 281 12.3 inch ppi. Native setting but has a very large desktop area available, fonts, icons and symbols are then but already bad small. Most users will work on the 12.3-inch screen with a scaled appearance.
    Another positive feature is certainly the basically good viewing angles. Images are always well visible from all sides, be accompanied but depending on the orientation and content of light brightness and color changes.

• Brightness & contrast:
    Dell advertises the series square offensively with a brightness of 400 cd / m². Actually, the test sample creates even up to 445 cd / m ² on the right edge of the screen. However this high level can not keep the test sample at all measuring points. Instead, the luminance in the lower midfield even on up to 353 cd / m falls sq. The illumination achieved only modest 79%, which is noticeable also subjectively at least in monochrome image content on the practice as a result.
    Another negative point is evident when selecting a lower brightness levels up to level 3. Here, Dell apparently deploys pulse width modulation to regulate brightness. Depending on the frequency this technology a more or less strong screen flicker, which can lead users to headache, quickly tiring eyes or other limitations.
    The here measured over 1,000 Hz frequency but relatively high fails and is likely not quite so restrictive present themselves in the long term as lower frequencies. Brightness level 4 (181 cd / m ²) and up this effect when the test device is no longer available.
    The measured black value is 0.145 cd / m² and provides a very good contrast of 3.068: 1. With direct overhead view like the deep and rich black. When looking from the side, however this brightens and is also covered with a reddish color cast.

• Outdoor use:
    The comparatively high maximum brightness of up to 445 cd / m ² is available also in battery operation. Together with the high contrast, one has good prerequisites for working under the open sky. As usual, must one cope but with overlapping reflections, which greatly complicate a discoverability of the content depending on the orientation. But this is an effect that can be observed in almost all screens with a smooth surface. An effective anti-reflection layer, the Dell Latitude apparently does not have 7285.

• Color space & color accuracy:
    The entirety of the representable colors is exceptionally high and can play the sRGB color space almost to 100 percent. The AdobeRGB color space is covered like the D65-P3 color space to about 64 percent.

64% AdobeRGB

64% D65-P3

99.9% sRGB

In addition to the uneven lighting and the color distortions with insights from the side, especially the missing color accuracy ensures that is the IGZO Panel not for a professional or semi professional work in photo -, video - or graphics area is suitable. With an average DeltaE 2000 of 3.4 and a maximum DeltaE of 6.9 exceed the limits too far even after a profiling not only at individual measurement points, but equal in several color and grayscale.

True, but this guy also thinks an i5 so underpowered that it’s barely enough for basic tasks.
That’s for sure not my user case and I dare to say probably also not the user case for the majority. His standards may be a little off in general.

From what I see, they are mentioning high-definition, fine point density, good viewing angles, better brightness than expected, deep and rich black and very good contrast. They express concerns about reflections and color accuracy. We will be factory calibrating the display for the V and do have anti-reflective coating.

For ‘professional use’, there are displays with native 10-bit color and much greater color range and accuracy in the aRGB or P3 spectrum that would be more suitable for proofing and the like. Those displays also cost more than a V and require FirePro or Quadro graphics cards to drive them to their full potential. For a tablet or 2-in-1 computer, accurately hitting 99.9% sRGB is pretty damned good, and should provide an amazing experience for consumers and a good experience for professionals wanting to do a quick color check on the go.

Oh no its going to be crap because Dell can’t do it properly, quick cancel the project immediately.

As far as I noticed in the community updates, you guys want to calibrate each display with a colorimeter. So far so good, Finally some manufacturer who understand that even 100% aRGB is worthless without calibration :grin: . This way I don’t have to calibrate it by myself.

The problem is that you are calibrating the displays via software! Easily explained for everyone: This means that a program tries to change the signals for the display, so that the color difference will be compensated. This information will partly be safed in the ICC file. How good this works highly depends on the used software and display itself. In the past i did calibrate displays where almost no improvement could be achieved by calibrating it. Other display types had a deltaE max of >9 first and under 0,5 after calibrating. Everything under deltaE=1 is not really noticeable for me personally.

The problem i see after the review of the Dell Latitude is, that they did review it WITH a software calibration! They even used CalMAN for it.

Display without calibration: https://notebooks-und-mobiles.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/werk.jpg
Display after calibration:https://notebooks-und-mobiles.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Profiliert.jpg

I really hope that you guys are aware of that and that the displays you get from sharp will be different (better hardware calibrated) than the one DELL builds in.

So far i am a big fan of the EVE V and hope to get it as soon as possible … university starts in October again :sweat:

EDIT: Color accuracy won’t bother the majority of V users i guess since it really only maters in professional use. A false color temperature on the other hand…would be quite apparent. (Yes, i know that the human eye adapts to that after a view minutes)

@hiddenflaw. That’s true, but note that the 600p is not OPAL compliant - it only supports self-encryption. So, to enable the self-encryption, we will need the BIOS to work with that functionality to allow you to set the password. Of course, with any drive, there’s always software encryption.

It looks like normal consumers won’t see this til 2018 at the earliest. Canon lake mobile chips will be available by then.

try f.lux, it states that more yellow light (=for them less blue-white light) makes you fall asleep better. But their yellow light becomes quit overwhelming after 23.00h.
No human eye adaption, yes frustration when working on photo’s, end result: more time to fall asleep. :sob: