Notetaking in class

Hello everybody,

Going to med school soon and I’ve been looking into different options for a portable laptop with a good stylus that will do well with taking notes in class using OneNote.

I’m sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if anybody’s had any experience with taking notes with the Eve? I’m concerned that it mightn’t feel natural enough and that I wish I’d gone for the Apple pencil.

I’ve read that the new Surface pencil is compatible, but maybe not the pressure sensitivity? Also, do we know anything more about the new Wacom dual protocol pen and if its 4k pressure sensitivity is compatible with V?

Like I said, in my case my primary concern (with all the other specs being so awesome) is the ability of taking notes in class with a natural handwriting feel.

Student homebase setup

I can only speak for myself but there should be no problems taking notes in class with the V and its pen.
I used the SP4 before and everything felt “natural”. With the V it should feel the same if not better.
More pressure levels and tilt are more interesting for artist drawing on the device. For notetaking it’s not that important.

Okay, sounds good, thanks.
So is the V close enough to the SP4 that I could go and try out the SP4 in the store, to get an idea of what the V will feel like when writing?

For note taking you really don’t need that new Surfaces pressure sensitivity. And I would say it won’t feel anymore natural with Apple Pencil

I had a surface pro 3 and the Eve V pen is essentially identical to that, it’s even the same manufacturer. So try that? I know the Surface Pro 4 had a rubber nib instead of the plastic nib that’s in the 3 version and it does feel much different to write with imo. Not sure what the latest iterations have. As other users have said the pressure sensitivity isn’t really required for writing, and having 1024 different pressure levels means you can get 1024 different shades between black and grey while writing (to simulate the pressure you’re applying and the effect that would have on a real pen, pencil, or paint brush). Would you need this feature at all, let alone more?

You’re right, 1024 pressure levels seems plenty, as long as the “feel” is right and the pen is responsive when applying pressure.

Does the V-pen have a plastic nib, or rubber nib like the later Surfaces?

Plastic nib.

I will probably buy a surface 4 pen when I get my V because I prefer the rubber tip.

And you can’t put the rubber tip into an eve pen either lol, should you be considering that. I tried with the surface pro 3 pen already :-).

I used the Surface Pro 3 with OneNote and it was an awesome experience to take notes and record the lecture (as audio). That way when you playback the audio, the notes you took will be highlighted. if you select a note then the audio player will automatically position in the file of when that note was taken.

Of course, this also works with video recording too using the back camera of the Surface Pro 3. The new Surface Pro behaves the same with the only difference being the latency between the pen to the ink on screen.

I used the Surface Pro 3 with OneNote and it was an awesome experience to take notes and record the lecture (as audio). That way when you playback the audio, the notes you took will be highlighted. if you select a note then the audio player will automatically position in the file of when that note was taken.

That sounds awesome!

I just managed to sign up for an Indiegogo deal for the Eve V i7 that somebody else passed up.
So bring on my new note taking device!

@WhiteBeard Did you go through eve to facilitate this exchange??? Because if you didn’t I’d be worried you were just conned.

@Niloc I signed up for the waiting list earlier on and now received a swap invite through Riku at support@eve-tech.zendesk.com, which enabled me to sign up at Backerkit, adding accessories and finalizing the pledge.
Didn’t look fishy to me…?

@whitebeard sorry we got off topic from this thread. My fault. That sounds legit. Apologies for getting you concerned.

@Niloc No problem, thank you for being concerned. If it was a con, I would have wanted somebody to tell me, so thank you!

Back on topic now! :slight_smile:

I will probably buy a surface 4 pen when I get my V because I prefer the rubber tip.
And you can’t put the rubber tip into an eve pen either lol, should you be considering that. I tried with the surface pro 3 pen already :-).

What about the new N-Trig compatible Bamboo Ink pen, which seems to have 4k pressure sensitivity, but no tilt like the latest gen Surface pen?
It also seems to have many different nibs to choose from and being Wacom, should have a nice feel to it?

http://www.wacom.com/en-de/getting-started/bamboo-ink

See I’m not bothered with the pressure sensitivity. I used the surface pro 3 for notes in uni and I know the plastic nib made it less “real”. While the bamboo does have the soft nib option… I’ll just go for whichever is cheaper. Surface pro 4 pen (I think this is currently cheaper) or the bamboo ink (thanks for showing me it, I haven’t seen it before).

My brother who is an artist needs a 4k pressure sensitive n-trig pen with tilt. He’s currently using the surface pro 3 pen and creating phenomenal work though.

See I’m not bothered with the pressure sensitivity. I used the surface pro 3 for notes in uni and I know the plastic nib made it less “real”.

Yes, this is what I’m gathering from all your feedback so far, that the feel of the nib makes more difference to the note taking experience than the level of pressure sensitivity.

As for the Bamboo Ink, I don’t think you’re alone in not noticing it. Wacom seems to have put a veil over the whole product release. The only thing I can find is a couple of reviews and the product page on Wacom’s site. And it seems that you can only buy it through bestbuy.com.
I’ve found it mentioned by other vendors, saying it might be released in July 2017, but nothing more.
Not sure what all the mystery is all about.

Another thing that I came across was what Mike wrote back in November '16 (in this thread)

Maybe this has changed since then?

Sorry I keep repeating myself with the pressure sensitivity. I don’t mean to!

I haven’t heard mention of the eve replacement nibs for a long time. But I don’t know if that means different widths of plastic ones… Or different textures (such as rubber… Or whatever it is made out of).

Aye I was finding it difficult to discover where to purchase the bamboo ink after 10 mins so I gave up looking for it :joy:. CEX is a second hand electronic store in Ireland and the UK. They have the rubber nipped surface pen for €45. It just seemed easy to do. I’m not fussy for note taking. If it’s your first time taking notes with a tablet just give it a whack with the V pen for a week. If you find you don’t adjust try anything else with a rubber nib (maybe we will even have that option with extra eve nibs?). I did adjust in time, I just instantly preferred the rubber nib upon trying it. Like if it had 50 points of pressure sensitivity I’d be happy. Because it’s difficult to even do that kind of variation with an actual pen.

As Konstantinos wrote in one of the last Twoliner thread, the pencil set will get the IGG Baker.

Ah right, sorry, what’s the “IGG Baker”?

I think he means that the pen comes with the V for IGG backers?

Though what we’re discussing is more promising pen alternatives. I’m at a loss.