Next step EVE AiO?

I’m not very good at writing down motivational sentences, so I’ll be quickly:
What do you think about AiO?
Why is it a good/bad solution for you?
Which characteristics should it have for you?

Personally I think AiO would be the best solution for my needs at the moment, and it could become an intelligent companion for my V.
Ideally it should be a mix between a Surface Studio and the Hp Envy 34 AiO with a lower price point and maybe with some parts upgradeable.

I like the Origin Omni AiO for the reason that it can handle high hardware specs (intel X99 chipset, nvidia GTX 1080) and a feature that should come standard on AiO: you can use it as a monitor for other computers. So if you need a monitor for your eve V you could easily hang it to the origin omni.

I do also like the surface studio for the possibility to lay it almost flat and with the touchscreen you can use it for drawing. Only problem is that it is laptop hardware in it. I would want desktop hardware with it, than it can be my desktop. Otherwise it would mostly serve as a monitor for a desktop if there is the possibility to use it as a monitor (without that it would just be a real pain in the ass since I would have to buy a separate desktop and monitor to serve my needs).

Let me quote myself:

Well, an AiO like origin omni has replaceable parts, power doesn’t seem to be a problem with there i7 6950X with GTX 1080, so those trade-offs are fro laptops but not necessary for an AiO. AiO are indeed not portable. But probably that has something to do with them being a desktop and monitor combined (unless you are talking about the surface studio, that is a laptop and monitor combined). Tell me what 20+" monitor is portable? What desktop is portable? Well, probably you shouldn’t expect a combination from those latter 2 to be portable. an AiO is not a replacement fro a laptop. Just as a laptop is not really a replacement for a desktop.

I think you have only seen a limited part of the AiO market than, if you claim they don’t have computing power and replaceable parts like desktops, best counter example I can give is the Origin AiO, from which the chassis can be found online for a DIY build. Also, my parents have had an AiO with desktop hardware that was as replaceable as competing desktops. Only difference is that they didn’t have to find a spot for a bulky desktop box since the desktop is integrated behind the screen. Unfortunately, the screen malfunctioned so it is gone, otherwise I would probably have used it for building myself a AiO since I have limited space on my deks, and my desk is a built in one so it is not that I have another place to put the desktop without having a severely handicapped cooling capabilities.

I’m not saying desktops are portable. I’m saying that AIOs have poor power (or if they’re powerful they’re really expensive) but are not portable unlike laptops. And they’re bulky like desktops but not serviceable and cheap like desktops.

I just don’t see any advantages in this form factors, only tradeoffs. Mainly price and serviceability.

You say it’s serviceable, but you’re missing my point. Let’s think of the following situations:

• the screen breaks, you need to replace the whole chassis with speakers and so on
  • you want to update to a new CPU -> new socket -> new motherboard and that doesn’t fit
  • power supply fails - I assume you can buy their official power supply, but what if your model is old and they don’t sell those anymore…

And so on… Sure you can replace any component with the same or very similar one, but only if you can still find it for sale.

That’s why EVE was born right? let’s them change the rules like they have just done with the V![quote=“pauliunas, post:6, topic:6796”]
they’re bulky like desktops
[/quote]
Ok they are bulky like desktop but they hide it really well

I can tell you for sure they won’t be able to make it as cheap as a desktop, because R&D costs money… And they would need a custom housing, which by itself is very expensive (for example, an eGPU case without any electronics inside can cost over $100 for Eve - that was said somewhere by the team, I don’t remember where though).

I guess this is a point… But is this the only reason to buy an AIO? I just put my desktop under my desk and forgot it’s there… My desk is actually even clearer than it would be if I used an AIO…

That is exactly the same problem a desktop has, there you also have to change the motherboard for a new cpu with a new socket…[quote=“pauliunas, post:6, topic:6796”]
power supply fails - I assume you can buy their official power supply, but what if your model is old and they don’t sell those anymore…
[/quote]
I think that depends on what power supply they use. I can imagine the use of a regular desktop power supply is possibly, that it doesn’t has to be something proprietary.

The only big disadvantage to a desktop is that screen and desktop are bound together. If the screen breaks, you are screwed. That is about the biggest difference an AiO has if compared to a desktop. And pricing, you have to take into account that the screen is integrated. 3000$ sounds a lot for a desktop with i7 6800K, GTX 1060, 16GB 2666MHz RAM and 500GB PCIe ssd (samsung pro 960 or how it is called), but if you want the curved monitor (the Origin Omni uses a samsung curved UW QHD screen) than it easily is a 600€+ screen they use (in the case of Origin Omni it is 770€ over here for the Samsung QHD UW 34" monitor). Taking that into account, they are not so much more expensive than a desktop. It is not like the surface studio for example

Yes but due to the atx standards the new motherboard will fit into the old housing, the psu will also fit if it is strong enough.

I am so sorry that the Origin Omni is just a mini ITX-standard. But as far as I know, that doesn’t mean it provides more problems for changing motherboards. The only thing you have to watch out for is that you order a mini-ITX motherboard. But I also wouldn’t recommend to order a mini-ITX motherboard for a ATX desktop case, would give the same problem. It is not that they use a proprietary motherboard system like laptops. And almost all of those small formfactor desktop cases that are proposed “as alternative for an AiO” such as the fractal design node 202 are also made for mini-ITX motherboards. So I don’t see why a fractal design node 202 would have less problems for a motherboard replacement than the origin omni, mind to explain?

With a desktop, you can choose any motherboard and every cooler out there. With an AIO you can only insert components that fit. That is usually very limiting because if it could fit most components it would already be too big to be alled AIO…

Same applies to PSU and graphics card.

The GPU could be external so that could be used with both V and the AiO which would be automatically smaller?
This sound a bit contradictory I know, but could be a good compromise

So many good arguments here guys, I feel like personally an AiO would be too much of a compromise for me to be interested in it since I have the space for a regular desktop, but I totally understand how some people would benefit from it.

Not necessarily… For example I can’t just pop any old mobo/GPU configuration into my mid-tower PC case, I have to check the part dimensions to make sure they will fit as some combos will need a Full tower to work. My graphics card has literally a 1/4" space between the end of it and my drive bays, and it’s not even close to being the biggest GPU out there. I can’t even just use any CPU cooler, as I will need to verify that the PSU or RAM don’t interfere with the space needed for the cooler. So I have to do my homework when I build a mid-tower system because it is physically impossible to use just any combination of parts. It is similar with AiOs, simply on a smaller scale. You still have to do your homework to find out what size components you will need. Yes, it may be a more limited choice of part sizes compared to a conventional PC case, but it is still doable and it is still possible to fit a desktop system in there, especially if you stray toward the large side of the AiO case spectrum.

AiO´s don´t make sense from my point of view. Like @pauliunas said they are: expensive, not powerful enough for their price, not fully upgradable and you have to replace replace the monitor, too just when for example the CPU is not working anymore.
You can just buy a small/or big Desktop PC and a beautiful monitor plug the monitor in via usb-c thunderbolt and there you go.

To be honest it just makes sense if the AiO has a big touch-screen like the Surface Studio.

A standard PC case can fit any ATX motherboard and any graphics card except a few extreme examples. Sure, things like water cooling need extra space, but generally if you don’t go to the extremes, you don’t need to worry about it.

In addition, the same as AIO can be achieved by mounting a low profile PC case behind your monitor, so at least the monitor is not tied to any other components.

Nope. You are dead wrong. I am running a Powercolor Radeon R9 280, not the biggest card made, and it barely fits. My case is a side-brand (SYX) made by Thermaltake so it’s a standard mid-tower. Also I don’t believe an ATX mobo would fit, as I’m running a micro-ATX and it barely fits. Also, I got a CPU cooler that is taller than it is wide, but if I got one of the wider ones from any number of reputable manufacturers, it would not fit if I had heat spreaders on my RAM. So basically all of the points that I just made still stand. I’m not exactly sure why we’re debating facts.

I have a standard case, dunno what it’s called… Just a no-brand case, the same dimensions as what pretty much everyone has. And when I was buying a GTX660, i took the longest one and it fits very well. It’s not a super high end card, but as I said, let’s not get into extreme examples… Big ass coolers is another extreme example, you don’t need them unless you overclock.

Again, for a person that likes to conserve funding, you of all people should understand the value of CPU overclocking. Yes I do overclock, and the reason is so that I can run my FX-4130, which I got at a bargain price and is stock 3.8 GHz, at 4.2GHz. There’s no reason why the average desktop user can’t do a little bit of overclocking. It’s economical and really quite easy to do, especially with all the auto-overclock utilities out there these days that give you a little bit of boost without the hassle. Add to this that the stock CPU coolers are made so tiny so as to fit in basically any system, but generally sound like a jet plane taking off because of the small low-quality fan.

I never said anything about the price of overclocking but since we’re here… It’s not economic simply because you need a very expensive motherboard and cooler for that. If you don’t overclock, you save a lot of money on motherboard and cooler, and you can spend that money on a processor that’s faster to begin with. I’ve thought about overclocking and I’ve done a lot of research on it, actually several times. And every time I came to the same conclusion: by not buying expensive motherboards and coolers, I can save up enough money to get a bigger performance boost than the overclock is likely to give me. And there’s no “silicon lottery” that way :slight_smile: