New processor from Intel / AMD

For me if my device will get a little bit higher temperature , instead of reaching 35 Celsius degree it reaches 40 degrees but have much higher GPU and CPU performance , completely I will accept this , in some situations I will need this performance plus the portability to get over many tasks .

it’s a matter of like Risk-benefit relation ! , but there is no real risk from getting just 4-5 more degrees during max load in performance

Sure, but do you really think that would be enough?.. Nope. It’s not that simple to make a thermal solution that completely dissipates all heat into the chassis. It’s even physically impossible. And when you’re talking about would be some super efficient cooling. But even then it wouldn’t help because the processor inside would always be at 90C ant throttling. Even if you remove all “skin temperature” limits and get the best cooling possible.

Well :grinning: let us wait and see devices that will be equipped by such CPU , I guess that Microsoft surface pro 5 will come with these new architecture, and see their benchmarks , temperatures and battery life then we can judge on this new technology !

The next Surface Pro will 80% use those new quad core CPUs or 20% something we haven’t heard about. Definitely NOT this one. It’s not meant for ultraportable devices. The H series is aimed at workstation laptops, like this one:

45W TDP is not a joke. It consumes THREE TIMES as much energy as 15W processors, which means 3 times shorter battery life and 3 times more heat. And the whole chip is BIG as ****. That means even smaller battery. Do you want a tablet that sounds like a jet plane and has 1 hour battery life? I don’t. In fact I already have one, with 17W TDP. Compare that to 45W…

How about this sleek laptop? It has 45W TDP CPU, and 70W TDP GPU at the same time. (It does sound like a jet plane though)

Well, it’s not as sleek as Eve V… The one in the picture I showed is probably pretty old, they don’t really make them that thick nowadays. Except if it’s a real beast.

:thinking:
Wonder what the total package TDP is.

That difference btw the two 7700hq lol, you can guess it has a tdp btw a 1050ti and 1060.

Judging from the performance… I guess it’s anything but low, somewhere around 70 to 90W.

And that’s not that bad considering what form factor they’re aiming for. The biggest difference is that all this heat is in the same place, and notin two separate places like when using Nvidia graphics. I’m not experienced enough to tell if that is good or bad, but here’s how I see it:
On one hand, instead of having two cooling systems or a long heat pipe connecting the two heat points, the manufacturer can now make it one (bigger) heatsink and fan. Or maybe multiple fans around one heatsink.
On the other hand, if you look at desktop coolers… They’re quite big. A typical desktop processor has 65W TDP, and a typical cooler’s shortest dimension is trice as thick as a typical laptop’s thickness. Something makes me think cooling 70W in one place in a laptop (which is pretty much the same configuration as cooling one desktop processor) is a great challenge.

Cooling will definitely be interesting. It’s really hard to get 2 dies to the exact same height, and even 0.1mm difference could mean 20C difference, since you just removed all the direct contact surfaces.

It has happened with the RX Vega, where the HBM dies don’t really get the temperatures that you’d expect from the ideal scenario, but then again, a memory doesn’t need a ton of cooling anyway. When it comes to CPU and GPU, however…

Do you mean the die or the package? Because it’s pretty easy to get the package at the same height, just make the heat spreader a bit thicker…

However, this doesn’t mean there won’t be a temperature difference. I’m pretty certain there will be a noticeable difference between those chips because they most probably have different TDPs…

Usually mobile CPU and GPU dont have IHS for a variety of reasons

Then what is this?

Yes, a mobile processor… maybe you forgot we’re talking about H series? :wink:

H-series doesn’t have an Integrated Heather Spreader (IHS), none of the mobile CPUs do.

It may look metallic, but it’s just a reflection from the chip surface.

Look closely at the edges and you’ll see that there isn’t an IHS on top of the chip.

And more news about this Multi-Chip Module (MCM)

As we all heard , AMD and Intel are collaborating with each other , with AMD making integrated graphics and intel making cpu in order to dominate gaming or high performance laptop market share from nvidia . I hugely dissapointed , because I think in short term its win for AMD , Intel and consumers and loss for nvidia but in long term It’s win for just Intel and no one else , first of all as you can see raja koduri went to Intel , that’s a big sign that Intel is serious about making gpus , AMD instead of competing with Intel in CPU segment has collaborated with them , so there is no competitor against Intel and they can up their CPU price tag considering how greedy Intel is ( loss for us ) . When they are done with AMD , since AMD can’t compete and Intel gained enough Market share , AMD will go bankrupt , and again Intel will up their price tags in integrated GPUs . Nvidia can’t compete in cpu because of x86 license and … . Intel is one of the worst companies ever . They stole tech from AMD , now Raja Koduri , one of the key AMD guys is there . There is just two exceptions , Qualcomm with arm in windows 10 , or nvidia collaborates with AMD for cpu and gpu . If anyone has played the game Cuphead there is a sentence that says " DONT DEAL WITH DEVIL " . This collaborating reminds me of this .
So what is your opinion ?
Is this deal good or bad ?

The problem that we have now is that people are not used to seeing AMD processors on $1000+ laptops. There is a good reason why AMD was targeting sub-$1000 laptops with their Ryzen mobile APU. If AMD went full Ryzen+Vega in the $1000+ market, it will be a flop for sure, remember it’s the market where people only look for “i7” and virtually nothing else.

By having “i7” logo for now, it will condition the market to see AMD on such laptops, and only then, Ryzen can gain some traction in that market.

The problem can be traced back to the fact that FX was a piece of shit, that led people to have bad impression of AMD (and rightfully so), and now you can’t change that impression overnight.

But I think AMD can’t change people’s reputation this way , because you know at the end of the day all credit goes to Intel , and when they are done with AMD , people will still think Intel is better because it has i7 and it’s the main thing , average consumer only knows the i7 or i5 name , they don’t know the gpu architecture name , ryzen could compete alone i believe , they could use it just like their ryzen lineup name like ryzen 5 or 7 so people will understand which one is better , they could change people’s reputation by presenting cheaper and better cpu and gpu or apu , they can market it by starting with tech enthusiasts and youtubers then average consumer , you can change people’s reputation fast just like ryzen cpus dominating 30% market share , at end I think it’s a win for Intel .

It’s a win-win, maybe a bit more for Intel, but AMD can’t enter that kind of segment yet but with this collaboration they can still get some money out of it, that they can then put in to R&D or marketing.