New Design Idea for a tablet/laptop hybrid

Looks exciting. If you manage to cram in a proper nvidea graphics card and 32gb ram, plus maybe a 12/14" screen, then I’m game. And thunderbolt 3 please…

1 Like

Reminded me of the old Nokia N97

https://images.app.goo.gl/YsDd8FWVsV6AuD17A

+1 for the obvious need for a decent screen protector, but whilst smartphones go into lined pockets, tablet/ laptops can suffer more abuse in rucksacks

1 Like

I love the idea. FWIW I was one the earliest V backers (HEB #19), yet my V simply collects dust as my backup computer. It was an experiment, considered mostly failed. Aside from the Hardware manufacturing issues - the biggest challenge: 90% of my usage is in laptop mode. The V isn’t a great laptop.

Currently I’m writing on an SB2. However I rarely use the tablet portion of my SB2. Reasons: its unwieldy and doesn’t sit well. However a hybrid where it had a hinge from a flat keyboard, so I have a stable tablet whether on a couch, coffee shop or travelling would be ideal.

2 Likes

Hello,
this idea is what, I think, is missing in todays laptop offers. Either they are merely really portable with only the tablet part (Surface book), not really a laptop (surface pro likes) which shows especially by the additional stand necessary for the screen or build as 360° foldable. What is missing is a portable laptop also working as tablet with the keys hidden in tablet mode. For this, your design idea is great.

This demands that the system is bottom-heavy while being as slim as possible in tablet mode. In total not more than 1.3kg and decent performance on laptop level for my taste. I agree.

Demanding a slim tablet mode is somewhat a nemesis to the double hinge design introducing a third layer between base and screen. But maybe it is possible.
Another approach would be to have a Surface book like detachable screen which, however, does not work as a stand-alone tablet, just a thin screen that can be turned around and attached again to the hinge which is a <= 180° hinge. This would also allow for tablet, laptop, studio (turn the device around and work from the back) and tent mode at the cost of the smooth transition. Hereby, it would be possible to make it as slim as a slim ultrabook, keep the weight down and address the contact/cable problem. With a smart attaching/detaching system one could also incorporate the turn-screen functionality envisioned by @adt. The screen would turn in kind of “electronic paper”:slight_smile: @Kee 's concern on scratching the screen etc. could be additionally addressed as the laptop could be closed with the screen front inside.

Looking forward to the further discussions.

@Hey
Bottom heavy, that is for sure. However, I don’t think it has to be as slim as possible. The race to make the slimmest device is futile. This is a purely aesthetical push designed to make people “want” the device. However, people routinely hold books that are 1-3cm thick and do not feel strange about that. Of course, the slimmer, the better, but that should not be the priority. The most important is that it is light enough to be comfortable to hold. We should aim for 1kg, with the maximum being 1.3kg. Then, the thickness should be determined by the constraints of putting together all the required components and the double-hinge mechanism.

Even if the device turns out to be quite thick, that could be turned into an advantage: repairability and sustainability. In the race for the slimmest device, makers have been squeezing components together with glue, making it impossible to reach these components and change or repair them. In the past, it was easy to upgrade components of a laptop computer, such as hard disk, memory and battery. Nowadays, it is impossible, and as soon as the internal battery of a device becomes too short-lived, people just discard their device and buy a new one. That is of course very good for the business of device makers. But that is also an ecological disaster. In an age when we are constantly reminded of the limited resources of the earth and the impact of human activities on the environment, we should go back to a more sustainable approach. Having the possibility to access, repair or change standard components in an electronic device is the very least makers should do.
It also makes sense at the business level. Although long-lived products in a saturated market are not interesting for big companies, which are constantly pushing their customers to renew their devices, they would be an advantage for small companies like Eve. Eve only has a few customers and is not waiting for them to renew their device. Eve wants to make a compelling device that would attract new customers. By making a more sustainable device, new owners would be more satisfied, and Eve could build a reputation for long-lived and repairable devices compared to their bigger competitors.

Regarding the detachable screen form factor, I understand the technical reasoning (to save some space by removing the hinge, while keeping the weight in the base). But I think it would be detrimental for the user experience and for the image of the product. I have used both detachable and double-hinge screens, and the latter is a much smoother experience: simply lift up the screen. No need to detach and fit the screen into a connector, no rotation of the image on the screen, and no need to wait for that rotation either. It is hard to go back to a detachable once you have used a double-hinge screen. Then, in terms of image, to the eyes of most people, a device with a detachable screen would look the same as a Surface Book. On the contrary, a double-hinge screen would immediately look different and more engaging. And again, it doesn’t take rocket science nor many centimetres to make a double hinge. It boils down essentially to duplicating the hinge of a regular laptop, and it has been done before by several companies (see my post from April 17).

Hello,
I formulated it a little too strong maybe. Nonetheless being slim seems important for taking notes comfortably. I imagine the tablet lying on the table and one wants to take notes, as replacement for a sheet of paper or a notebook. It is annoying not to be able to comfortly place your palm when writing closer to the side because the tablet is more than maybe 1.5cm thick.
For me at least that is a reason to take sheets out of a folder, write on them and then return them as otherwise there would be 2cm of sheets below.

I agree on the sustainability and replaceability aspect:) But therefore it might be worth saving height at different ends.

Love it! It really does avoid one of the main prolems you have with a 2in1: it really is not that comfortable on a lap and takes quite a lot of space when on a table. This thing though is genius and if you put the right specs inside (i7, AMD discrete GPU like on the XPS-15), I am sure this will be a big hit for anyone really wanting the perfect 2in1 laptop.

As I posted earlier, I really love your design as traveling power user. I’m not sure what Eve’s plans are for V revision, but really want to develop this concept further.

Regarding the advantages of the detachable/kickstand design, the greatest one in my experience is stability and adjustability in “drafting mode”:
drawingboard

For your double-hinge design (which I will dub the “Eve Z” :wink:), the weakness is stability when resting the hand on the screen.

Try this with a pen on a page: rest your palm near the center and move the tip to draw something at the top edge. You’ll notice your hand rotate forward onto the pinky, introducing a slight angular moment.

It may seem minor, but artists/draftsmen are very sensitive to any wobble on the drawing surface. If the hinge is not absolutely stable as the pen moves around the canvas, subtle arm fatigue will build up over a drawing session.

Conversely, if the drawing surface is reliable, the artist will have subtle sense freedom (not having to compensate the pressure of his/her strokes) allowing for greater immersion in the work.

It’s a subtle, but an important effect and I think it should be one of the first priorities in refining the design.

2 Likes

I like this Designs uniqueness but the problem is most people want a more simple devise. This would have more features than most people care for so this would be better of as a different device than the V gen2
also if there’s a way to make a traditional 2in1 with a 360 screen but be able to lock at different angles so you could set it on the keyboard and have the screen lock at an angle you like.
unlikely but thought id say it.

1 Like