Monitor can‘t provide more than 30Hz with Macbook Air

Hello guys,

So I have the new Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz and everythings work fine with my PC. However, with my Macbook Air 2017, i can‘t get more than 30hz regardless if its 4K,QHD or Full HD. I‘m using a minidisplayport to displayport cable which supposedly supports 4K @60hz. But for me it doesen‘t work.

Cable: Angebot: Silkland Mini DisplayPort auf Displayport 2M (4K@60Hz, 2K@165Hz), Thunderbolt 2 DisplayPort Kabel Kompatibel mit MacBook Air(Vor 2018)/Pro(Vor 2016), iMac(Vor 2017), Mac Pro (2010-2013), Surface Pro https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08HQSNFH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_RD9KJHD248EFPY6SRRB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On Apple‘s website it states, that the Macbook supports an external display with 4K @60hz.

My guess is that maybe the Monitor has DP 1.4 but the cable is DP 1.2. Otherwise I have no idea.
Would be great if anyone has a solution!

2 Likes

Have you tried the trick where you option-click on Scaled in the display settings? This replaces the standard display scaling slider with a bunch of extra settings, one of which is refresh rate. You should be able to select 60Hz in there.

Firmware 102 had 60Hz available and selected by default. Firmware 104 onwards changed that so that 30Hz was used by default, even though 60Hz was available.

1 Like

No, but I will try that out tomorrow. Thanks!

I had Firmware 102 and updated to 104 but on neither firmware it was working. Also, I ordered a new cable that should arrive tomorrow. This time i got a DP 1.4 cable. Will see tomorrow if that helps.

2 Likes

unfortunately, nothing works. Neither the new cable nor changing the scaling could help me get more than 30Hz. I looked all across the internet but the only solution that supposedly works is if you change the monitor settings from DP 1.4 to 1.2. However, I think you cant do that on the EVE so I don’t know what to do

Hi @Greapie,

Sorry we haven’t updated this on the website yet, but we have version 105 ready as well. It might help with your issue.

Hey Cas,
Thanks for the reply! I will try that out tomorrow and report back if it helped. However, from the research I have made it looks like the problem it is related to my Macbook (MacOS). We will see though…

1 Like

Hi @Greapie,

No worries. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

QQ - Since updating to v106, does your Spectrum exceed 30 Hz? for some reason, I can’t get 60 Hz anymore. I’ve got a few things to test out, but I want to make sure it’s just me. (as we both have the same MBP)

EDIT: Nevermind, when I updated to v106, it reset my settings. I forgot to change ‘USB-C bandwidth priority’ to High refresh rate.

1 Like

I was going to ask if your USB bandwidth priority had been reset! My MacOS display settings have a different UI scale (for some reason) when I’m using high USB data speed, so I instantly knew that something had changed. Going in and checking bandwidth priority was my first step.

I almost have to wonder if high USB data speed is the right default here. Surely if someone is using USB-C for video input, they’ll more likely want higher refresh rate by default. It’d be different if they were using USB-C only for the hub source, but I don’t know how often people are using USB-C that way.

Unfortunately V105 didnt help either. I will be trying the Update tomorrow but I think it really has something to do with the Macbook

1 Like

Although your issue is different from this one, MBP M1 Max via TB4/USB-C No Longer Working it might still be worth looking into.

One thing to note is that we do plan on implementing 3 different flavors of DP in a future firmware. It’s already been implemented in the Spectrum ES07D02, the 280 Hz QHD, as seen in my post here, Spectrum | The Future Of Firmware - #204 but it needs to be backported to the ESo7D03 4K models. And we have no timeline currently for when this may happen, so I’m hoping that the info on Monterey 12.3.1 may help.

2 Likes