[Merged] Which Spectrum is right for me?

Hi community,

We are experimenting with merged discussions. The idea is to make the welcome page of our community look clean & diverged, and everybody can comfortably find what they are looking for. :dove:

The list of topics merged: (Thank you for creating these places for fresh talks!)

• Hard choice: upgrade to 240Hz or 4K? by @Soichir0

• Which Spectrum should I get? by @samo

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

New to to community here. I’m going to preorder a Spectrum but I’m not sure if I should go for the QHD 240hz or the 4k 144hz. I will use it mostly for gaming. Right now I have an Xbox One S and will upgrading to the Project X once it comes out. I’m not sure which one is better suited to my needs. I know either will likely have surplus capacity that even the Project X won’t be able to exploit, but still. Wondering what everyone thinks and why.

Sorry if this is posted in wrong place. I did a search and didn’t see what I was looking for.

Thanks

5 Likes

If you primarily play competitive fps shooters like counterstrike or other games where very high fps matters AND you have a computer that can push those frames, then my opinion would be get the 240hz model.

If you do a wide range of gaming, such as story based games then I would get the 4k model, I personally am anticipating how good the integer scaling will be for 1080p content upscaled to 4k. The next gen consoles probably aren’t pushing past 120fps, so if you are hooking this up to an xbox then the 240hz won’t help you.

4 Likes

This is why I reserved both…

3 Likes

Does having one of each model 2 & 3 cause any issues? I too am conflicted about what model to buy, i have reserved 2 x 240hz but wondering if I should change one or both to the 4k 144hz. I’m not a gamer but do watch videos on my monitors currently. Would there be any advantage or would this just be a waste of money moving to the 4k version if all I’m doing is watching some movies?

1 Like

The 4k version allows you to watch 4k movies in their native resolution vs downscaling on the 240Hz model. Does it sound like an excellent reason to change? Moreover, I suggest you keep two models the same to avoid potential conflicts. Depends on your hardware & software setup you may or may not experience unexpected display issues.

@kiwiman @JayD probably means when users are scrolling the web page, the transition appears silky-smooth due to the high (> 60Hz) refresh rate.

2 Likes

Further to this, multi monitor set ups with different resolutions are becoming more common, and I dont know about any conflicts that could happen, especially if you aren’t gaming. I’ve even had rocket league split between a 1080p and 1440p monitor before for local multiplayer with no issues, so I doubt you will run into anything disastrous if you get 1 of each.

As said the 4k monitor will allow you to watch 4k films natively and also stream videos and films in 4k. Also with integer scaling, have 1080p content upscaled to 4k (im assuming the 1440p integer scaling will work best for 720p content). The only advantage the 240hz model will have for non-gaming is that browsing may be more fluid, although text will be more crisp in the 4k model - and 144hz is already quite fluid for browsing.

I would personally upgrade both to the 4k if I wasn’t gaming, but if really fluid browsing is important then keep one 240hz.

2 Likes

The way I see it is that I will never be using both monitors to game. 27 inches is more than enough area to enjoy playing and the big issue with using 2 anyways is that for most games, the reticle would be stuck in the middle where the (albeit small) bezels would be. Thus for fps’s ill use the 240hz one and for scenic/plot driven games ill use the 4k one. The other in either situation would be relegated to discord/stream monitoring duty. Also, by the time these monitors come out I expect to be using a Nvidia 3000 series GPU so hopefully no issues there.

4 Likes

thanks for your insight, can you advise what you mean by “browsing may be more fluid”

1 Like

Thanks Lore, I have been advised by customer support that if I upgrade to the 4k versions I will have to pay the current price, not the price when I ordered the 240Hz models (right at start of the sales). Not sure if I can afford (or justify) the upgrade to two 4k models. From CS:

please note upgrading the models, will lock in May 23rd price for the 4k model, not January 27th price

2 Likes

Hello im new here,

i hope its ok that i reply to this Topic, i have a question about the Spectrum 4K 144hz and didnt want to open a new one.

I was searching for a gaming monitor for the upcoming PS5. As i was searching i found this website, i never heard of Eve.

The techincal details says it has a 2.0HDMITechnical details but on a german newspage it says it has a 2.1HDMI HDMI2.1?, maybe your browser can translate it so you can read it. So what does it have?
And can you play 4K@120hz like the new PS5 supports, or only 4k@60hz?

Thanks

2 Likes

As you can see in this update, the top two models will have HDMI 2.1

2 Likes

Thanks didnt see the update, but does the spectrum support 4k@120hz or only @60hz?

I personally suggest to get one 4K 144Hz monitor, and one 1440p 240Hz monitor. I personally reserved both because I know that at 27 inches 4K looks absolutely stunning and I promise you will see a difference in sharpness, quite substantially. Also, they can be used for different applications. For example, using the 4K monitor to watch 4K content on YouTube, story based games, and other games such as assassin‘s creed (this is providing your PC can support such a resolution). While the 240 Hz monitor will be amazing for games such as CSGO and Rocket League which can take full advantage of the higher resolution and other games but you can easily down scale to 1080P while still rocking 240Hz in competitive titles.

2 Likes

It supports 4K @ 144Hz

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments,

i will preorder the 4K Spectrum i already have a 144hz Full HD Monitor for COD, R6 etc. for my PC.
the 4K will be the second Monitor for my PC and the Primary for the Upcoming PS5, and yes my PC can support 4K :grin:

If the Quality is great i will maybe order a 240hz too. I don’t doubt it that the quality is bad but i never heard from eve before.
And the 4k monitor + PS5 will be expensive enough for the moment :sweat_smile:

Thanks again to everyone

2 Likes

It supports 144hz with HDMI or DP?

Hi @el_zigano91,

It is preferable to use HDMI 2.1 to achieve 4k 144Hz as it has significantly more bandwidth than DP 1.4.

Update:

@el_zigano91 Never mind! The community is precisely the right place to ask these questions! :grin: Please rest assured that there is no problem running 4k 120Hz via HDMI 2.1 on the Spectrum at all. Furthermore, the Spectrum is targeting the next-gen consoles for the same reason!

3 Likes

thanks.
I’m asking because i would like to buy a PS5 and don’t want to buy another one soon. So to be sure, it plays 4k with 120hz on HDMI?
Sorry for asking this annoying questions…

1 Like

Great, i will preorder model 3 :slight_smile: Thank you for helping!
Wish you a nice day buddy!

1 Like