[merged topic] Linux on the V

merged
linux
v

BTW, personally, I wouldn’t mind so much if the Linux support lacked some of the features around the tablet/touch screen. I’d be using the device in laptop mode almost exclusively anyway.

Well, I need it as a tablet more often than as a laptop, so touch is quite important to me.

And you can be sure that I’ll try it :slight_smile: I’ll likely only give Ubuntu a stab since after installing Arch I want to have a quick & simple install again :stuck_out_tongue:

Also I’ll be sure to gather the help of you guys since my Linux experience in making something work on the driver-level is very limited :wink:

Seriously. You should consider testing it ASAP on linux. And not only Ubuntu, but consider Fedora or OpenSuse also (or instead). If you don’t do this officially, at least try booting a live distro with an USB stick (just download and burn to USB from https://getfedora.org/ for instance). You don’t even have to install anything! I would be interested in the device, but not unless it runs Linux.

We’re working on it, I would have tested on all possible systems but unfortunately I was unable to acquire a PF due to it being on IGG.

Linux touch experience is just diriculous. Really, I’ve tried many distributions, big and small, on my tablet and they were all barely useful. No browser supports swipe to scroll, no software actually made the “hold to right click” thing work… it’s useful when you just need to check some things fast and don’t have a keyboard laying around, but getting a proper touch experience to work would require tons of work.

I would use 99,9% keyboard+tablet, rather than just touch… so that’s not really an issue for me personally.

Personally I’d only want to boot with Linux if there was good touch experience (including Pen support). I plan on using Linux VMs for doing SW dev and I’ll probably stick with Win 10 for everything else.

Mind you - if there was a Linux option (even an unofficial one) I do think that would be a good option. So, consider this an “up vote” for “Linux please!”. :smile:

(Also posted on Ubuntu partnership subject, but here’s seems to be more Linux people, original message below:)
Hi everyone, first post here :slight_smile:
Just sign up to the community to share the need of a powerful, light, well designed device officially supporting (the most popular) Linux distros AND designed for pen & touch.
The philosophy of sharing and building things together of this (now it’s “our” btw) community is exactly the same as Linux and open-source movement in general.
And as a designer, I think we need to question ourselves if we really want proprietary software and hardware (Photoshop on Windows on Surface, for me). But I can’t apply my own values because there’s nothing like that nowadays (talking about great pen integration). You’re an incredible hope for open-source-minded people I think!
That’s why maybe a partnership with Ubuntu (which I think is one of the distro with the best touch and devices-universality integration, but I can be wrong) can be a great idea. With Ubuntu team and one or a few design softwares for Linux (like Krita) we can build a first plot for the future!
Sorry for the long text folks, wish I can represent better people in my situation :wink:

I wouldn’t say that Linux touch experience is ridiculous. I tried Debian with Gnome on an x86 tablet a couple of years ago, and most things worked out of the box, except gdm (it was certainly a bug and is most likely fixed by now). There was a good add-on for Firefox which made it usable. If you talk about Linux in general, there are no problems to get things working on a tablet. I’m currently in possession of a tablet with Sailfish OS and it is a perfect user interface.

Yeah it works… but much much worse than Windows. Onboard doesn’t support multitouch so you naturally keep skipping letters when writing with it, that Firefox plugin is buggy to say the least, and overall the experience is quite bad. Feels like using one of those 2000’s tablets with Windows XP and a pen tethered to the tablet with a wire :slight_smile:
And while I agree that Linux can be made to work very well with touchscreens (Android is a prime example of that, and IMO it has much better touch experience than Windows), doing that requires tons of work and I really doubt a community like ours can pull that off. If I understand it correctly, we’re talking about running a full desktop distribution here, so Sailfish and Android can be put away for now…

If you put it that way I can agree. Desktop Linux hasn’t been widely used on tablets (or almost at all) and hardware is one reason. Android is much more lightweight and it has always been the major player on ARM hardware. A couple of years ago a few x86 tablets were made, but they were slow and clumsy. Today a tablet could be made with standard x86 hardware, which would be compatible with any OS. That’s an advantage. Personally I hate closed ARM hardware that requires closed binary drivers by hardware manufacturers. This makes hardware obsolete and unsecure in a very short time (because of lack of software updates).

Yes, I feel very much the same way. But Android isn’t a desktop OS, and even as a pure consumer tablet it doesn’t work too well with big screens. Everything is just stretched, icons are bigger, but it doesn’t make use of the extra space on the screen. Furthermore, a significant part of the apps don’t even work in landscape mode because they’re made with only phones in mind…

Just out of curiosity, how has Canonical responded? @iKirin, I’m also planning to try an install, if you take Ubuntu, I’ll try Arch (I’ve been using ApricityOS to get a baseline install more quickly, though I imagine this will require more micro-managing of the install with a vanilla-Arch install).

Add another “linux only” user here. I have zero use for Windows.

I know my way around the Linux kernel, so if there’s anything to be done for improving support on the Kernel side, I can probably help.

I’m very curious to hear why you decided to buy a tablet instead of a “traditional” laptop, because they work much better with Linux :slight_smile:

For casual reading/surfing/movie viewing in bed/on the sofa/at the beach, a tablet is much nicer than a laptop.
Esp. since I don’t have a decent laptop with 10h of battery lifetime.

But keep in mind that there are still no Linux software packages that make tablets useful. It will work, but the experience will be significantly worse if you don’t have the keyboard. And the touchscreen remains pretty much useless in Linux.

The specification says it will run Windows 10 or Pro.

Why does it not support Linux like the other crowdsourced computer systems?
Thx.

I understand later batches will be offered without an OS, so you could install whichever Linux flavour you like.