[merged topic] Battery bank compatibility with the V

merged

Yes it does by combining both standards which still means it works with both standards.

So the ‘crime’ is that they combine both standards and it works but the USB PD standard doesn’t allows to be combined with others.

“The crime” is that QC 3.0 because of its nature is not compliant with USB-C PD standards . So it is impossible to create a device that has QC 3.0 and certified USB-C PD.

From the list you can also see that many chargers and batteries labeled USB PD compliant are not.

So again feel free to pick what you like and follow whatever you want to believe.

All I say is that I follow actual test results over self applied company labels any time which means I pick my cables and devices based on that.

Ah, that one is interesting… Didn’t know they existed.
But this quote is more interesting to me:

Again, the “disclaimer” thing. I don’t want anyone to follow your advice without knowing the risk.

If so, then please show me where you saw tests with this charger and Eve V. Or with the charger and any computer, for that matter.

I also wonder, could you link to a review from either Benson or Nathan K. about this particular charger? Since you said you have read it.

you clearly didn’t bother to read the articles and the links in the articles so once you have done that we can talk.

The test and the results are in there.

So I showed you you just didn’t bother to look.

the links to their results are all in the article.

Here is the link directly to their spreadsheet with the results:

Yeah, I know that one. I was looking for their in-depth reviews.
I just want to paste this in here from Benson Leung. : "Also, any USB Type-C charger that purports to support QC2.0 or QC3.0 out of the same Type-C port is also breaking this section of the spec as well."

And from the comments again from Benson Leung:
“There is always the risk of accidental activation of the high voltage modes when you are talking about a proprietary technology like QC over a USB connector.”

So yeah, you are going to void your warranty using it with the V, but since it only has 24W out, it wouldn’t be ideal anyway. The fact is, that this is the only charger (falsely) advertised as USB-PD and QC 3.0 compliant, and until QC 4.0 that will not change.

talking about ‘disclaimer’ that seems to only apply for others but not for you - right?

I think you made statements that RavPower USB PD battery packs will for sure work …

Well the test results say something else.

From the tested RavPower battery packs they rate one with 2/Good, one with -1/‘Would advice against’ and one with -3/avoid.
Surprisingly the one that is rated 2/Good is the one that is a QC3 battery pack and the other two ratted bad are USB PD battery packs.

Better add a disclaimer to your posts.

You mean more details than in the spreadsheet?
There are a lot of details and results - yes it is not nicely written as a review for everyone of the tested cables, chargers and batteries but I don’t think you can expect that since they do that in their spare time.

Nobody will give you a guarantee on any of these.

I mean if Eve is smart they will tell you if your device blows up by using a non Eve charger or battery it is your own fault and you are out of their cover.

Please stop acting like an a****le and stop drawing conclusions out of nowhere. I did read your article. Now what?

It applies to everyone. Including me. But I never suggested anything that isn’t OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED.

The bad rating for the RavPower battery pack that I advised comes from the included wall plug, but because that charges the battery pack, and not the V, it does not hurt the V in any way. Using the Rav Power with the Eve cable will not be problematic. I don guarantee anything, but I can advise products that themselves guarantee certain compatibility and have good reviews.

In the list it also says that it has the potential to become the best USB-PD battery pack.

Keep in mind your list is not for USB-C Laptops and 2-1, but for the Google Pixel.

You are saying the RavPower packs are officially supported by Eve?

All I have seen is that Eve says that if a device is fully compliant with USB PD it should work with the Eve.
I am sure the only thing that Eve would guarantee is that their own charger works with the V.
For any other charger or Battery pack you are on your own.

Since the list shows many examples of USB PD labeled devices that in reality are not fully compliant with USB- PD including some RavPower devices I am quite sure that if you select to use them and it does damage you will have void the warranty of the V by using them.

So as I said in the original post USB C and Power charge standards are a mess at the moment and everybody has to pick what they think might work but the labels really don’t help much and adding the cable standards on top makes it really ‘fun’ to find a combination that works.

As I also said there good luck with that.

Other then that I really won’t replay to any of your posts anymore since it is without any value.

For any other user that would like to ask a question about the different standards and non-standards - feel free.

USB PD is officially supported. Quick Charge and other nonsense isn’t, so it should go with a disclaimer.

The fact that the V has TWO USB-C ports (one = TB3, correct?) is a deciding factor over the ASUS Transformer 3 Pro. The T3P’s SOLE USB-C port is ALSO it’s SOLE charging port - which means that all TB devices at used ONLY with battery.
This sucks, as (a) the battery life sucks, and (b) audio interfaces dig the computer being on non-battery.

Thank you! For us battery charger Luddites, please define “QC 3” and “USB PD”

Except if the Thunderbolt 3 device charges the tablet :stuck_out_tongue:
QC 3 = Quickcharge 3 (a charging protocol from Qualcomm, commonly found in mobiles and tablets)
USB PD = USB Power Delivery (charging protocol for example the V and the macbook uses)

That’s an odd article - he pivots to a shameless plug of the iPhone over all others. It also only lists one battery pack - and one not suitable for a computer.

But it has good information on chargers, so thanks for posting.

In layman’s term…

USB-PD = Industry Standard
QC3 = Qualcomm’s technique

Things in Common:

1. faster than traditional usb charging,
  2. automatically detect best charge voltage from a list of predefined voltages
  3. only works for supported devices
  4. not compatible with the other guy (and the list of predefined voltages is not the same)

Some additional facts:

1. many many many smartphones use Qualcomm SoCs, a lot of them support QC3
  2. USB-PD wall chargers are less common that QC3 chargers
  3. QC3 is compatible with QC2 and QC1
  4. USB-PD delivers more power than QC3
  5. USB-PD by specification only works with USB-C
  6. QC3 works with USB-A and USB-C
  7. The V being a x86 device (i.e. Intel CPU) does not support QC3 (QC3 only works with Qualcomm SoCs)

QC 3 stands for Qualcomm Quick Charge 3 standard (a propitiatory Qualcomm standard)
USB PD stands for USB Power Delivery standard (an USB Implementers Forum standard)