[merged topic] Battery bank compatibility with the V

merged

Thank you, larseisberg! That is the type of information that I am looking for!

I’ll jsut buy this one, then, unless a better one is posted.

BTW, I have a more expensive Rav Power - the RP PB-14 ($100), that will NOT work - no USB-C…

No you don’t need an adapter with that one, because it has a USB-C port.
Well actually, I am not sure because I don’t know if the Eve cable will have USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to USB-A cable out of the box. Either way, it will work.

Well, I was just clarifying what @pauliunas was saying already, but you’re welcome.

Cool. Somebody swiped my Anker charger, so I’ll just buy that Rav Power one.

Off topic, but will you be using your prototype with an audio interface?

(maybe that should be a topic?)

Thanks…

If it features both you use the port that has USB PD, and not the one with QC. Both of these can’t coexist on one port, so you’ll have to choose either way :slight_smile:

Whoever told you it doesn’t have USB C was wrong, it does have that port, so no adapter needed. And YES your current power bank WILL work!!!
In case you didn’t know, there are cables that have type A on one end and type C on the other. Use one. Done. It works. Just don’t expect it to be fast, it should be around 10% per hour when the tablet is working.

Well then the article I have read on one charger is wrong, because it said one USB-A port was used for QC 2.0 as well as USB PD. Thanks for the info!

That must have been an error on their part… Most likely one of the ports uses PD and the other uses QC :slight_smile:
Except of course if it’s QC4.0, which supports PD too, but I don’t think that’s available yet.

Yeah it is off-topic, but yes I will, because I am one of the music production testers. I will create a separate thread as mentioned by the Eve team, when I receive the prototype.

Cool. I didn’t make the cut. Will you be using a Thunderbolt audio interface? If so, which adapter (Startech or Apple)? I look forward to your posts in this regard!

That is not true. It really doesn’t matter what port they use. The only thing that matters is the protocol, and that is completely unrelated to the port type being used :wink:

Unless Asus did something really crazy about it, it should work. You can even charge it with a regular USB charger that outputs 10W, it will just be slow…

Oh, by the way, they updated the default charger and now it’s 36W :wink:

Did they specifically say it won’t work with EVE V???
No, they don’t even know what Eve V is and they have NEVER EVER HEARD OF IT in their lives so THEY - DON’T - KNOW.

But maybe you already know this… Sorry, I had missed that reply before…

I am pretty sure that you can only charge the V through its USB-C ports. I didn’t say that you couldn’t use a cable that ends with USB-A, but the USB-A ports on the V do not allow the V to be charged through them, it can only charge something else with them.

Oh well, it’s just that I have read on many power banks now that support the MacBook 12" for example, but don’t charge the XPS 13, the Pixel 2, the HP 12 2-1… So I thought it had to do with them needing more than 27W.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the type C ports on power banks :smiley: Yeah, you’re right, you can’t charge the tablet through its type A ports…

Unfortunately there really isn’t an easy answer to this.

USB C turns out to be quite a mess since different combinations of devices and cables can make huge differences what might work or what might work slow or what might even burn down the house.
Yes using different USB C cables with the same devices can make a difference in this.
Time to buy a label maker to mark all your cables since they look potentially all the same with vastly different specs and capabilities.

A good write up on this is here:

Next thing is that all the different charging standards and devices are a nightmare as well.
Many chargers and battery packs labeled USB PD are actually not compliant or fully compliant.
So that they are marketed as USB PD and to work with the MacBook Pro doesn’t mean they really are working with it or work safely with it or the V.

Some engineers at Google started to make tests and a list which chargers and battery packs are according to standard and safe and which ones not.
Big name brands on both sides of the list.
Companies like Anker, PavPower Apple, … make good and bad ones and label them all USB PD compliant even though they are not.

Anyway here is a good write up on that. It also has a list of tested devices that actually comply with the standards
Also QC 3 compliant doesn’t always mean that it can’t work with USB PD devices as you can see from the list that some QC 3 devices are fully compliant with USB PD.

So welcome to a world with cables and devices using the same port and look the same from the outside with very different purposes and specs and capabilities.

Good luck to all of you to pick the right combinations at all times!

I don’t see any - would you care to give us an example? :slight_smile:

sure no problem

https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-usb-type-c-wall-charger-with-fast-charge-technology/ $39.99 2 Yes Verizon 24w TYPECPDQC3TVL [charger OK, cable = BAD] AC C (USB-PD + QC3.0) Yes 5v/3a 7v/3a 8v/3a 9v/2.7a 12v/2a + QC3.0 1x USB-PD + QC3.0 Yes 6 1.8 No Benson + Nathan K. https://www.verizonwireless.com/search/vzwSearch?Ntt=USB-C%20fast%20charge&nav=Global&gTab=undefined&mls=1 Cable is has excessive DCR. PD chip glitches, QC3.0. But PD1.0+2.0 levels. (Pixel C.) Also sold in 2-packs (Ref 1).

Rated with ‘2’ Good only two Google chargers are rated higher!

From the article: “Verizon’s USB Type-C charger is the best option for those with Quick Charge 3.0 devices. It also includes the latest (and potentially out-of-spec) Quick Charge 3.0 rapid charging capability”

So I don’t know, it sounds kind of fishy to me, even given that Benson + Nathan K. rated it that good. It was also the only USB-C QC 3.0 cable that they rated as good.

of course you don’t have to trust engineers that actually tested the chargers with lab equipment.

Feel free to follow Amazon ratings or Marketing talk that chargers are USB PD compliant.

It is your decision and your devices.

Also from your article: “however it violates the USB-C specification by combining Qc 3.0 and USB PD in the same package.”

That comes from the engineers.
So yeah, it violates the USB PD spec, and therefore is not USB PB compliant

There is a reason why Quick Charge 4.0 prominently features USB-PD compatibility