[merged topic] Battery bank compatibility with the V

merged

Does anyone know if a USB port on an inverter converts from dc/ac/dc? I always assumed it did not (it just took the 12V from the battery through a regulator and stepped it down) but after all this I’m second guessing it. This is the one I use - it has a 2.1 amp USB

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007Y4BL1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dear, as always issuing opinions without fully knowing things.
I bought an Omnicharge, and the big differential of it is its power management system. Only for knowledge beyond the 5V 3A USB port you can power a USB-C device through a USB to USB-C cable with power up to 15W. It also has a QuickCharge USB 3.0 port
In addition to these two USB ports, we can count on a DC output with voltage regulation from 1.0v to 25V, and mine came with a DC-to-USB adapter, so we can power almost any device today. I am really pleased with my OmniCharge and recommend it for the purchase.

Except that you’ll eventualy fry your V with it.

You keep believing that!

The rest of us that bought the Omnicharge will be happily charging our V and other devices with it.
By the way it will also charge with a number of QC Quick chargers you just have to understand the specs of them and find the ones that will work fine which is not that difficult if you would understand the technology and the different specifications.
Of course Eve won’t give a blanket statement and support that since they know that there are some QC Quick chargers that won’t work and that will potentially destroy the V.
Even though I would hope that for a device like this that it has build in safety to stop a defect charger from destroying the important parts in the old days and for your understanding it was called a fuse today you would do that with a little bit of electronics.

@iKirin I see no other option but to call you to confirm for the non-believers that Qualcomm Quick Charge can damage the tablet and void warranty… That is, we’re not talking about the new 4.0 standard that supports USB-PD.

you are really funny :sweat_smile:

Did I say it doesn’t void the warranty?

As I told you I am an Engineer and voiding warranties on my own devices is pretty much what I do all the time.

You should maybe apply with Apple so you can tell paying customer how they are allowed to hold their device.

Most current Qualcomm QC chargers are actually not delivering more than 9V even though the standard allows up to 20V. 9V will not destroy the V!
By the way USB PD is also allowing for up to 20V - shocking isn’t it. Those 20V would also potentially destroy the V if the communication protocol would fail.

The V supports USB PD, which might not always be ready to accept 9V.
Yes, 20V would destroy the V. But only if the charger is broken, because otherwise it wouldn’t be giving 20V. As you said, broken communication protocols can destroy it, and QC protocol is “broken” in that regard from the very beginning because it’s not the same as what the tablet uses.

Do what you want, but don’t you go around spreading this nonsense in the community and breaking people’s devices…

Wondering whether you know if they’ll have a UK-style plug on the Onmicharge?

It has only Type C (europlug/ 2Pin) F (Schuko) and A (Flat 2Pin) in the european Version at the moment.

uuuuh the King of the Community has allowed me to do what I want with the V.

Which nonsense exactly did I spread - please point to a specific statement of mine that is definitely wrong and provide some evidence for it.
I know the one where I said you are funny is wrong and I apologize this was nonsense you are really not funny at all.

If the V charger will be 9V (or possibly 12V) which seem to be not completely clear yet it will take 9V and will not be destroyed by any other 9V power source.
It really is quite simply Ohm’s law which I thought is taught in any school at some point.
V (Voltage) = R (Resistance) * I (current)
Since the voltage is the same 9V and the resistance of the V is also not changing the current is the same as well = nothing bad will happen to the V.

Now go and find somebody that used Eve and V in a way that you don’t like since that seem to be your main task on this forum to correct people on that topic.

It doesn’t at this point.
I guess they can’t fit the plug size into the form factor of the Onmicharge.

You are correct that the V will not be destroyed by a power-source that is not 9V (hopefully at least), however due the V implementing the USB-PD protocol I think it could simply be the case, that the V would not even start charging from the Omni with the 9V output, as the communication according to USB-PD is missing.

Will it 100% fry your V? No. It could fry your V, if the charger does not comply with USB-PD and tries to e.g. push 12V into the V.

I don’t have the complete documentation from USB-PD on the top of my head, and I’m not sure how exactly the switching between the charging voltages happen, however as far as I know the USB-PD protocol starts with the regular 5V and can then ramp up through the communication - if that communication is not present, it might even block the charging.

The nonsense is that you’re suggesting others to use your non-compliant charger and void their warranties. And you don’t warn them about the dangers, nor do you warn them about their warranty. Just look at XDA developers forum - every single thread there has a disclaimer.

:slight_smile: I am sorry but I was speaking to the grown ups on this forum that understand they make their own decisions in life and are able to understand that a user forum entry is not something to sue over and demand a guarantee.

I am quite sure the other people that decided which chargers and/or batteries they want to buy understand that quite well.

They also understand that with any device you buy that you use with a charger from another company you run a risk that it might not work or destroy their device.
As I said before though the only risk if you know what to look for and read specs is that the device doesn’t charge not that it will be destroyed or ‘fried’ as you so eloquently suggested.

I am quite confident that unless Eve is pulling an HP on the V and making sure that it only works with the standard Eve charger and no other charger on the market the V will charge just fine with other chargers and with some it won’t charge and with some it will charge slow assuming you know how to read a spec and know which ones to try and which ones not.
Since you don’t understand the HP reference they actually put some firmware into the HP USB C devices that make them only charge from an original HP charger.

@pauliunas @rainerdgraf I hereby ask both parties to stop at this point. :slight_smile:

I think you both made your points clear, I also gave an (inofficial but still valid) statement from someone who has a prototype sitting right beside him.

@pauliunas is right that a non USB-PD compliant charger will have you void your warranty if the device breaks from it, and @rainerdgraf you’re completely right that we’re all grown up here to realize that we can break our devices if we don’t follow the manufacturers instructions.

And since we now see the point of both parties having their valid point, let’s stop here. :slight_smile:

Nobody is going to demand anything from you. But that doesn’t make your responsibility any smaller.

For those of you that ordered the Onmicharge 20 don’t miss out on the HVDC (High Voltage DC) output that you can switch the output to.
All switching power supplies should work with it and it will work more efficient than using the AC output for the chargers you connect.
The port will supply 150V DC if you have the US version and 300V DC if you have the European version.
That is one of the awesome unique features that I don’t think any other battery pack has at least I didn’t see any other pack that has that.
The guys that put the Onmicharge together really put some thought into it and and seem to deliver the most intelligence and most features that you could wish in a power bank.

And how are you going to use that 300V? :wink: Seems very “niche” to me…

‘niche’ in the sense that no other ppoower bank provides that feature - sure

‘niche’ in usability - not at all.
I see about 5 power supplies on my desk right now that will work with it - no problem.
As I said most if not all switching power supplies will work with it.

OK, I will not pretend, this is the first time I heard about the existance of this high voltage DC standard. But looking at this, I assume it doesn’t support that:

Just like all the other chargers I’ve had.

However, from the electrical point of view, it should work as long as long as it’s below ~311V, am I right? Then why do they always write the frequency too? I don’t know what the circuit in there looks like, but isn’t there a reason why they write specific frequencies?

Anyway, it’s still inefficient, although not as much as DC-AC-DC, to convert from 3.7V to 300V and back to 9V or whatever the tablet requests.

So, I’d still recommend using the RAVPower charger I linked above. It’s 3 times cheaper, officially supports charging Eve V, doesn’t need any extra conversion because it includes USB Power Delivery by default. And it won’t fry your tablet.