[merged topic] Battery bank compatibility with the V

Thank you! I’m not a winner, so I have to buy an interim machine… $$$$$$

I wonder whether the prototype testing will push that date further into April or even May? Hopefully not!

Just keep your eye out for Quick Charge, as that might fry the tablet. But if it’s a simple 2A charging port, it should keep it running :slight_smile: My tablet with 17W processor eats 10-11W on average (including screen and othe rparts, not only CPU), and Eve V’s processor is only 4.5W so it should never rise above 10W. I will tell you more when I get a prototype :slight_smile:

Check out this thread, I’ll be posting updates there:

I downloaded the PDF on the Omnicharge Pro - looks cool.

Where do you buy it, and how much is it?

Do you have the 20 or the 13? Which for the V - 20, IO suppose…

Any of them. They just have different capacity.
EDIT: Nope, neither of them will work well. One of them has a plain 5V/4.8A port, the other uses Qualcomm Quick Charge. Both bad. Omnicharge can only prevent it from discharging, but not charge it. Just get a USB-PD compliant power bank like the one I showed you…

That is just not true same as your statement made out of thin air that AC will be replaced by DC and that it is not more efficient for energy transfer. You might want to read up on that before making those statements. A good start would be the story about Edison and Tesla and why so many technologies today still are based on Tesla’s inventions and his realization that energy transfer needs to me AC over longer distances.
The Omnicharge will charge the V just fine and has many different options to do so including via DC directly with a voltage you can choose (9V) like the original power adapter. All you need is the Omnicharge 20 and a barrel port to USB cable.
You can also choose to charge via USB port which will work for both Omnicharge, or via the DC port usinng the V adapter.
I am planning to carry the Omnicharge and no other power supply since it charges any gadget that I am carrying when traveling or at work.
By the way I am an Electric Engineer with about 20+ years of experience in case you like to challenge these statements.

fyi we would have 36W :slight_smile:

Oh, right :slight_smile: I forgot they updated it :slight_smile:

I never said DC was more efficient than AC, I just asked if @SyrtakiVampir was sure that AC loses less energy. That’s all.
Anyway, if you’re a real engineer you shouldn’t really argue with me that converting DC to AC and back to DC is a lossy process :smile:

And even though you’re an electric engineer, that doesn’t mean you know much or at all about USB Power Delivery standard. You can’t just connect the tablet to a “dumb” 9V source and expect it to charge safely. The standard is there to allow choosing between different voltages depending on the situation. For example, the battery gets hot and the charging controller requests the charger to switch to 5V. If it doesn’t do that, the battery can go boom. You should know how nasty that is :smile: That’s why you need a real PD-compliant charger for Eve V. Or you can use a “dumb” 5V source up to 2A, which is part of the USB standard. However, if you allow a higher current without using actual USB-PD communication, you risk getting a nice smoke effect :smile:
And please, before arguing please consider that this isn’t just plain electric current, this is sensitive electronics with a logic IC for switching voltages.

Did I say anywhere that converting DC to AC and back to DC won’t lose energy?

You clearly didn’t bother to read up on the Omnicharge but keep dissing it anyway.
If you would have read up on it you might have found that you can even set it from AC to DC on the output and that it has a lot of different DC based ways to charge the V or any other device.

All I am saying is stop giving ‘advice’ on things that you clearly don’t understand or at least present it honestly and not in a way as if you are an expert in it.
Power delivery over USB; QC Quickcharge; DC or AC doesn’t seem to be your expertise.

Yes 9V coming out of the V’s power adapter is the same as 9V coming out of the Omnicharge or any other power supply!

To all others that are interested in the Onmicharge. You can do a whole lot worse buying other power banks since the Onmmicharge has really a lot of intelligence and safe guards build in which other cheaper power banks don’t have.

I did read the PDF :slight_smile: And I know enough about it to discuss.

None of which actually work with Eve V. Let’s see:

• Qualcomm Quick Charge. That voids the warranty. And it might fry the tablet. Nay.
  • Fixed voltage output. That doesn’t comply to the USB-PD standard, so it would need to be kept at 5V and charge it very slowly. Also, I didn’t see an option to limit the current through this option. Nay.
  • Plain USB output, 5V/2A. That’s 10W. The tablet itself could consume more than 10W under high workloads. Nay.

Which other option do you see there?

Yes, but the V’s power adapter supports USB-PD and it will output 5V, 9V (and I think 12V with the recent change) depending on what the tablet’s charging circuit requests.

You clearly didn’t bother to read up on USB-PD standard, and are claiming things that could damage other people’s devices. Do you realize that you make yourself responsible for the safety of other people’s property and health?

So please,

Rainerdgraf, where does one acquire an Omnicharge? Thanks.

Have a look on Google for sources and reviews - IGG is one.

right now they sell it still on Indiegogo

Their shop on https://www.omnicharge.co is not open yet.
If you get one take the Onmicharge 20 since it can charge the V or any other laptop from the barrel port with a voltage that you can select. The Onmicharge 13 doesn’t have that feature.

I bought the pro (which is the 20) over the IGG campaign :slight_smile:

If you would have read it correct, there is also a normal Europlug/AC output where you can plug in the V charger directly.

I believe he was referring to DC options.

As I said already, about a dozen times in this thread, that one means converting from 3.7V DC to 220 (or 120 or whatever) V AC and back to 5/9/12V DC, which is a very lossy process. It loses a lot of energy, so it’s not worth paying for this high-capacity battery since a lower capacity battery without DC-AC-DC conversion would charge the tablet more times.
Can you just PLEASE understand this once and for all so that I don’t need to repeat it again and again every second reply? :expressionless:

No offence Paul :slight_smile:

I was just saying, there sure is a way with the omnicharge and sure you are right but for me other things are more important and the main reason why I bought an omnicharge are first of all I like to support startups. Second, I want to have one device where I can charge everything I have with me. notebooks, tablets, phones and whatever and that is for sure possible with it, cause I travel a lot and also not always I have a powerplug where I can charge things…third, I sometimes have to rely on power generators and the omnicharge can balance the power input…

But I posted a link to a power bank that does just that - except it doesn’t have an AC socket, but if V replaces your laptop you don’t need it with USB-PD :wink: It also has separate USB ports for charging other devices :slight_smile:

Not sure how it does that, but if it is what I think it is, then you can just use the power bank I linked - connect its charger to the generator and use the battery as sort of a buffer :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, you won’t connect a kettle to that…
But if (in this thread) we’re talking specifically of charging V and other portable devices, I don’t think there’s any point in choosing Omnicharge over a PD-compliant charger :slight_smile: Of course, you’re entitled to your choice because we all have different needs.

Time will show the V will replace my Laptop :slight_smile: for now I still need it quite often and I also have a lot of other stuff that sometimes need some Power (no kettle for sure) . In my case, it is a very good choice.
But I for sure agree with you, if you only need to charge USB devices then something else could do it.

You should check out their webpage… Omnicharge

It has quite a lot of intelligence and measurements inside to always look if input and outputs are balanced and also if there is too much or not enough current…