Mass performance benchmark

Oh. Geez duh. Thought you did some wizardry

Thanks for experimenting, any feed back on what that did to battery life pls?

I haven’t really noticed any difference tbh. I forgot about it until I posted this and @mlivesey asked about it.

I’ll check to confirm later but I think you can leave it without noticing much difference lol.

So the steps for performance are pretty much.

1. Set the system performance to max in the.bios

2. Download XTU and/or Trottlestop

3. Undervolt the CPU core, cache and graphics. -50mv to -100mv. It depends on your cpu

4. Raise the power limit from 7w to 8w

Enjoy higher performance for gaming and such

@Wickedly I think that’s pretty much it?

3 Likes

I didn’t change the bios setting because it wasn’t clear what it does and I remember seeing this

But otherwise yeah, that is pretty much what I did lol.

How bout you @xify, find any secret tips?

edit: apparently XTU persists any changes as long as your computer doesn’t crash. I think I’ll be switching to throttlestop so it’ll be more obvious when the changes are in effect: throttlestop running = added performance.

1 Like

Would you explain how to raise the power limit in ThrottleStop? Just change the Package Power Long from 7 to 8?

Yup that should be it.

So I decided to join this mass benchmark with some high flying scores :slight_smile:
I’ve shared a bit with the Senior Creators before but now the public also gets their chance to hate me a bit :wink:
After a bit of tweaking I was able to get this from Cinebench, maybe I’ll check soon if I can get even a little more out of our little tablet. I don’t know why it thinks I’m on Windows 8 though …

Magic i7 anyone?

6 Likes

Interesting - my i7 very different scores when just running the test on V as delivered with updated drivers

edit: nevermind - i’m an idiot that didn’t check power mode lol.

not really relevant anymore

update - possibly important

I get on my i7 298 multi and 136 single

all with 15 min of fine tuning :slight_smile:

what did you tune? :slight_smile:

core voltage offset - 0,05V and turboboost power max to 12 W that was the last stable setting

less corevoltage got higher scores but also crashed sometimes

2 Likes

m3-7Y30, stock configuration (don’t even have XTU installed), Cinebench set to “Above Normal” priority from the Task Manager, OS is Windows 8.1 for the Eve V

Lets do this

Software required:

How To:

• Extract both Cinebench and RealTemp
  • Run CINEBENCH Windows 64 Bit.exe
  • Run RealTemp.exe
  • Open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab, right click on Cinebench, and Set Priority to Above Normal. The reason is to prevent background programs from interfering with our benchmark process.
  • Do the same for RealTemp
  • Now run the benchmark by pressing Run in Cinebench.
  • Keep RealTemp visible, and see the highest temperature trend near the end of the benchmark (they keep a max, but sometimes the CPU spikes for a fraction of second and its recorded as max instead)
  • It is normal if the system hangs a little, since we just set Cinebench to higher priority than other processes, including Windows Explorer (the taskbar and UI in general)
  • Once its done, click on “File” menu in Cinebench, and check “Advanced Benchmark”
  • I would recommend to run multi-core first before single-core, because multi-core benchmark is more affected by the PL1 power limit (7W / TDP)

Format:
Model:
Score - Single Core:
Score - Multi core:
Temp - Single Core:
Temp - Multi core:

Here’s mine
Model: m3/128
Score - Single Core: 91
Score - Multi core: 242
Temp - Single Core: 61C
Temp - Multi core: 63C

5 Likes

my sp5

Model: i5/256
Score - Single Core: 120
Score - Multi core: 247
Temp - Single Core: 68C
Temp - Multi core: 67C

I really think I should be able to hit the 300 mark in multi core with ease if my cpu wasn’t hitting PL1 so fast

This screen is 2.8Ghz at 11w running at 100% load.

Screenshot (67)

I’m just gonna post whatever i discovered here.

• Throttlestop cannot change power limits, can only do so with intel XTU.

• Using Intel XTU to change power limits is not the most reliable thing either, i suspect PL1 is reset to 7W if the CPU thermal throttles (@100C) - whether XTU is running or not.

• some voodoo shit needs to happen if you want throttlestop and XTU to play nice

• The power mode slider (clicky clicky battery icon) makes a noticeable difference, i’m inclined to believe that the <10% differences in my earlier posts were entirely because of power mode settings

• Better Battery mode (not battery saver) gives the worst performance; Best Performance (plugged in) gives best performance (duh.)

• [better performance (plugged in)] and [best performance (on battery)] are equivalent, use these if you’re gonna be benchmarking at Christmas dinner or something.

• i still don’t know what max performance in the bios does

Better Battery power mode Plugged in best performance mode 10w
CineBench Multi 242 262 294
CineBench Single 123 126 137
CPU Mark 41xx 45xx 5018 (lol i beat a record)

temps @ 7w are 70 - 80, 10w = ~90C
only attaching 10w results because they’re the only thing new lol

CPU Mark

CineBench

4 Likes

Model: i7/512
Score - Single Core: 104
Score - Multi core: 218
Temp - Single Core: 75 ish
Temp - Multi core: 70 ish

Battery setting on Best performance
Bios setting for Max performance enabled

M3, battery on better performance, bios and task manager untouched. Pretty pleased!

Edit: ran again with battery set to best performance, task manager set to above average priority and… Not much change, multi core 235 single core 96

1 Like