Linux Experiences on the V

linux

Yes…I noticed that before also. It seems that you have to be at “member” level, not just “basic” level to view. Possibly @iKirin or @Tirigon can comment?

Simple - it’s because it got moved into the archive to keep the community clean - and the archive was tucked away so it does not confuse people :slight_smile:
Which is why you need to be ‘member’ level to view it :wink:

Great to know, thanks for the feedback - do you know how easy it is to go back to windows in the future, do they include a DVD or hidden partition etc?

Depends on what you do - after a live-session simply take out the USB-stick and boot back into Windows.
If you install Linux alongside Windows (dual boot) just decide in bootmanager what OS to start.
If you erase Windows make sure you have a backup; there is also a recovery partition I think, but not sure anymore.

OK – so, I finally have a (working) V and have installed Linux on it. I chose to go with Xubuntu 18.04 (beta). I haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it – but I did set it up for dual-boot with rEFInd as some had suggested above. I’ve mostly been playing with it in laptop mode, which seems to work pretty well. I think there are some things I need to figure out to handle working in tablet mode (without a keyboard). If others have comments on that, like extra packages to install, etc, I’d be glad to hear about it. I think the package specifics may be different on different distributions.

I have not had the problem (yet) that others with Windows have complained about, where the V turns on when it is in the sleeve… so maybe that is a windows specific thing. But I haven’t had extensive testing of it either.

As I created this topic to record general experiences with Linux, I’ll probably post updates here periodically as I try something new. The wiki post at LinuxWiki is a good place to summarize final results/recommendations. But I think we can use this topic for more general comments/feedback.

I am also interested to hear how many others are using Linux on their V.

I installed for the first try my favorite distribution, Ubuntu Studio with kxstudio on top (XFCE) beside Windows. Windows is encrypted with Bitlocker, Ubuntu Studio with luks. Originally I wanted to go with veracrypt (for the Windows installation) but seems it doesn’t support my setup.
XFCE seems to need much configuration, everything is very very tiny. :wink:
Now I’m thinking about to change to “vanilla” Ubuntu … may fit better to the V.
Ah I forget, I have some trouble to get Linux started from the Windows Boot Manager since Bitlocker it isn’t a good idear to put grub into the mbr. :wink:

I didn’t say very clearly, but I did install my xubuntu alongside windows. I shrank the main windows partition down to free up space and then installed into that. The Xubuntu load I did is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop. Yes, everything starts out very tiny :slight_smile: – If you go to Settings/Appearance/Fonts then you can set a custom DPI setting. The default is 96, I’ve played with a few different sizes, but somewhere around 160 seems to provide a much more reasonable size for me.
At the time of install, the final shutdown seemed to hang, and I couldn’t get to the grub menu (would only boot in Windows). But after installing rEFInd I was able to boot into the newly installed Linux with no problem.

Ah ok I’ll try that DPI settings. I had to do some things manually for the installation (creating a volume for encryption, create lvm-volumes in there and not use the whole HD can’t be done from the installation menu :wink: ) and I thought I had installed grub to the boot-partition. I copied the first 512byte from that partition to a file for the windows boot manager but that didn’t work. I guess I’ll give that rEFInd-thing a try, didn’t know it until now.

I plan to install Gentoo Linux as soon as it arrives. [: I don’t need Windows, so I can skip the complicated dual-boot part. But first I will try a Live CentOS 7 on it. I’ll try to keep you informed as well. (:

Clone your Windows copy to a backup hard drive in case you ever decide to change your mind about going back to windows. You never know…

@sudoapt: You assume I am coming from Windows, are you? How should I do my computing stuff on Windows? Even with the bash-runtime in Win10 it seems impossible to install my own window manager setup there. So, going back is like going back to Linux. It’s between the easy road with CentOS or the more time-consuming way with Gentoo. I want Gentoo on this very badly. [:

I cannot be disappointed by not-working hardware-features I am not used to. If UEFI-BIOS-updates without Windows are not possible, yet, I’ll wait or find a way.

First thing is to wipe the hard-drive completly clean from any traces of a pre-installed Windows before it had a chance to boot. I did this before with my 6-year-old laptop and hardware-support-issues were expected back then.

ah, hubris!

i would not be too sure of that. lest you end up like ozymandias - king of kings, but a mighty boast on a pedestal buried in the sand.

…on the other hand, if you want to go 100% FULL HARDMODE, proceed with this and make a principled stand to never ever let windows on that hardware again!

either way, please report back!

@poinck My plan is the same, with other dist Linux only, but for some fineness (GarminExpress, Sony gramophone, Canon Scaner films, …) I must carry on dualboot :frowning:
Under Linux are not some drivers and some special applications, it’s a pity.

Hey Guys,
just a question, i didn’t found the answer till now, also with the search function…
Does the display calibration will work further under linux or is it just a windows thing?

Sadly, it is very unlikely that I can report back to you, because today I opend a dispute at PayPal against EVE-Tech.

sorry to be doing some forum necromancy but V has 281 dpi res (5.5 milion pixels on 450cm^3 gives about 281.4). so about 280 dpi should give you a large clear image fit for display density.

maybe someone in the future can benefit from this…