KVM switch on Spectrum?

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask the question…

What would be a good KVM solution for me to share Eve Spectrum between my desktop and laptop, using an iPad via Duet display as a second screen?

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 Gen6; single USB C/thunderbolt with charging, 2x USB A 3.1 Gen 1, HDMI 1.4b. I would not use the laptop’s screen, keyboard, or trackpad.

Desktop: USB 3.2 / 3.1 Gen 2, DisplayPort 2 (Nvidia Titan Xp)

I use a Logitech MX Master bluetooth mouse which can switch between hosts. I have a Cherry mechanical keyboard and the iPad needs power as well as data. So I currently use a powered 3.1 Gen 1 hub, as my shitty Dell monitor can’t do the job.

Ideally I would like an easy way to switch between laptop and desktop, will that be possible with just Spectrum & OSD or do I need to look at KVM devices? The ideal would be just using USB-C to the laptop, but I don’t mind running an HDMI cable too. I just don’t want to be touching cables at the monitor end or the desktop end to switch between them.

5 Likes

I could be wrong, but you may not need a KVM device? The spectrum as 2x hdmi ports, Displayport, USB C etc. Could it not just be as simple as changing let’s say from display port to the HDMI source?

I could be miss understanding the question.

5 Likes

Spectrum has a built-in manual KVM switch.

Based on your intro, I imagine that your current setup is like the following:

• The iPad is plugged into the USB hub (Lightning to USB-A or USB-C),
    The keyboard is plugged into the USB hub (USB-A or USB-C),
    The PC is connected to your monitor via DP,
    The laptop is connected to your monitor via USB-C,
    You manually switch the monitor’s video input source and plug-in the USB hub to the device you are using.

If you have a Spectrum:

• The iPad is plugged into Spectrum (Lightning to USB-A or USB-C),
    The keyboard is plugged into Spectrum (USB-A or USB-C, please note that for this setup, there is only one USB-C port available for either the iPad or the keyboard),
    The PC is connected to Spectrum via DP and USB-B simultaneously,
    The laptop is connected to Spectrum via USB-C,
    You manually switch Spectrum’s video input source and data upstream connection to the device you are using.
10 Likes

Perfect, so just 2 changes on the OSD!

I will keep the powered hub as it’s useful to have easily accessible ports, and each port is switched which is nice.

4 Likes

Just be aware that some of these Hubs may not have the same specs as the monitor ports. For example my current setup for my PS5. I have an HMDI audio splitter. That will split the audio from HDMI so that i am able to output audio to digital for my headset dongle.

If i use this method for the Spectrum, I will not get optimal performance, because the splitter does not have HDMI 2.1.

My solution to this will be using an aux cable to the headset from the monitor to output game audio to the headset, and the USB dongle plugged into the PS5 for the chat audio. This allows manual volume control with my headset for both game, and chat.

3 Likes