It's Christmas EVE!

Just wanted to let you know.

Merry Christmas y’all!

I see what you did there. :smirk:

Merry Christmas! :christmas_tree::innocent:

speaking of Christmas eve, I’m curious to hear what different traditions out community has for it :slight_smile:

I can start: we eat 12 dishes here. It’s a very old tradition originating from paganism, and you need to at least taste twelve different dishes during the dinner if you want to have a lucky year: one dish for each month. The most interesting part is that all the dishes need to be vegetarian, since it’s still the Advent and we can’t eat meat or have loud celebrations. Just imagine the brain twist we’re having here trying to prepare them all, hehe… The must-haves include some traditional salads, cooked fish, poppy milk and kūčiukai, the latter two frequently consumed together.

I think we should takr advantage of how international our community is and learn something interesting :slight_smile: maybe even have a separate category

Wow, that’s a great tradition. The 12 dishes are all for one evening? What do you have for the rest of the week?

My tradition here is simpler - we’re even allowed to have meat for dinner. We decorated the christmas tree this morning, so the Christkind (Christ child in german) enjoys visiting us and might leave some presents. We have to put up chocolate to the tree as well - flying around all the houses apparently makes this little fellow hungry. That’s the haderst part for my 3 year old. Unfortunately the Christkind needs some privacy, too - it won’t appear if you hang around the tree to much. But when there is a quiet moment it slips in (nobody ever so it) and lights the candles as well - a bit dangerous, but what can you do. For some reason it even hides the presents under a blanket.

We are still a young family, so there’s the chance to mix up the traditions of our own childhood with new ones. We’ll have dinner with some refugees from Damaskus tomorrow - can’t wait to hear about their traditions. In the wake of the terror attack in my home city Berlin a few days ago, I feel it’s even more important to celebrate peace and freedom together.

Christkind looks very similar to Santa Claus :slight_smile: we call him “Christmas Grandpa” and he lives somewhere in Sápmi instead of North pole, but otherwise he’s similar to the American Santa.

Those 12 dishes are surely just for one evening! Keep in mind that it’s not always strictly 12 - everyone needs to taste 12, but depending on the number of people at the table it can be more or less. If there are many people, we prepare more so that we have what to choose from. If there are few people, we count in simple things like bread :slight_smile:

In any case, the fridge is always filled with leftovers. We try to eat fish first because it doesn’t last too long, but everything usually gets eaten until New Year. Which is another problem - by that time we’re usually sick of all the salads, so preparing light meals for the wait till midnight s a challenge :slight_smile:

I admire you for inviting those people to your Christmas table - if everyone were like that, we wouldn’t have all these terrible world problems. Sadly, the real refugees are mixed up with terrorists in the crowds and there’s no way to tell them apart :disappointed:

I wish you a Merry Christmas from Germany to Team Eve and the Community. Great Job Eve. I am exited to the V.

Merry Christmas also from my end… Germany to the Eve world!
Keep up the spirit and the good work!

… also all the best for 2017 :slight_smile:

Our (my family’s) tradition for Christmas Eve is as follows:

Around lunch time, we have a few relatives over, and eat rice porridge/ pudding and then watch the Disney Christmas special on TV. In the porridge we have blanched almonds, and when one finds one, they get to pick a small present hanging above the table with candy in it. Everyone gets one, but as more and more finds theirs, the fewer presents it is to pick from.
Later we have our grandparents over, and eatøtt . After that we open presents, and once that is done, we eat dessert, consisting of /“rice cream” and plain ice cream.

On Christmas day we get a sock full of chocolate, and that is about it.

But this is only how we do it. Other families probably do some things completely different.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

My Christmas lets say celebrations are made in two days. I’m from Portugal :smiley:

First on Christmas Eve everyone gathers (even some far relatives) on my cousin’s house (around 50 people!!) in the beginning of the night (7pm normally) and then you have appetizers, children’s eat and then grown ups eat after them. For the children there’s normally lasagna and for the grown ups turkey and cod fish. We used to have a fifa (football) competition between cousins but this time time was short. We usually then have desserts (many of which are brought in by various cousins just as the appetizers I forgot to mention were - from Molotov to chocolate mousse to charlotte to cheesecake to fruit salad etc there’s plenty to choose from!) :smile:
And finally there’s a tradition in which after everything at midnight or close to it you keep one of your shoes down with the papa cousins so to say and magically Santa appears and gives you some presents. That’s basically it for Christmas Eve (oh and there is a mass somewhere on the middle of that)

On Christmas day it’s usually the closer family that gets together on another cousin’s house and but more to eat lunch/hang around (sometimes till dinner). This year it’ll be in a different place than usual though. It’ll be fun :slight_smile: