Is there any Full Stack Engineer using EVE V?

I am in look for a new device, form factor wise two fit my needs Surface Pro 6 and EVE V, but V’s processor is not an significant upgrade for me from my current device, I would have picked Surface Pro 6, but I/O is limited or we can say 0 at all. So V is the only option for me, but I want an opinion of an Full Stack Engineer, that if there any who uses V, is it capable to handle development work.

i think you need a more powerful cpu for fullstack than either v or sp6, plus at least 32 gb ram

It will not be as a main device for that there are work desktops, but as a side personal device like I am traveling there are scenarios where I want to test some code snippet or check someone else code. Do little bit collaborative work. So from that point of view I wanted to have a device like in the footprint of EVE V or Surface Pro 6.

v could work (i’d vote for i5 512gb), but for dev i would go with something with u series cpu AT MINIMUM (hq is better), not y, and active cooling (maybe a dell 2in1, idk?). as a java/node dev myself, V’s cpu just doesn’t cut it. i NEED more power!

1 Like

Yeah for me the major concern is also V’s CPU, now I have my doubts clear thanks for the reply.

For my private projects I use The V while traveling and with Visual Studio and IIS I cant complain. Okay it cant emulate Apple devices but even my office desk struggel to emulate xamarin on IOS.

Is Java that mich difference? Strange?
VS Code with NodeJS works well for me.

But tust is only my opinion and while traveling I dont care if I have to wait 3sec while loading the project

My V: Core M3 / 128GB SSD / 8GB RAM

What I can do:

• developing some smaller frontend using node, react/angular, etc. in size of a website, not a whole application
  • keep some node server runnig for persistence, not heavy calculating
  • having some browser open, chrome with devtools
  • VSCode, Atom

What I can not do / is very slow and uncomfortable:

• advanced docker scenarios ( -> CPU, RAM)
  • advanced build scenarios (make, gulp) ( -> CPU, RAM)
  • big IDEs such as Visual Studio (storage, cpu) (-> Storage)
  • doing a lot of VPN, skype calls, coding, … in parallel

In general, while traveling, this is okay. The battery size is the biggest advantage and reason for using V as second device for travelling… For doing daily business this is not good enough. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for reply, but if I opt for 16gb and i7 - y version will it be able to deal with :

• big IDEs such as Visual Studio (storage, cpu) (-> Storage)
  • doing a lot of VPN, skype calls, coding, … in parallel

Visual Studio will run of course. Question is - what do you want to develop?

• dotnetcore, python? I guess that will work
  • ASP. NET? should…
  • WPF, WinForms, UWP? Maybe for small and medium solutions
  • Xamarin, mobile Apps? puhh…

Don’t expect any of those mobile devices to be heavy-parallel-performance machines, including the SP6 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mainly js, python django code.

How many npm packages? :stuck_out_tongue:
No - I feel like this should work with the V. Of course this depends as always on project sizes…

1 Like

I’m using Eve V as my main work PC outside the home (which is the most common case) and I found Eve V i7 processor isn’t enough for some use cases. Now I’m using it with React Native mobile development and it’s ok to work with Android Emulator and running Node.js packager process, but it’s not as comfortable as I wish. But it’s ok to work with Python/Node.js backend unless you don’t running multiple services through Docker for example. I had worked with multiple Docker instances for DB/RabbitMQ and some Java backends running and I could do my work, but it wasn’t comfortable enough to work with it as my main device all the time. 16GB of RAM was enough, but 2 low-power cores caused that I had to wait a much longer to all stuff running initially.

2 Likes

Depends on what you will be doing. It’s good enough I’d say for web development.

It will work fine for development, so long as you are not trying to run some 3 or 4 VMs on it. It will work almost exactly like you’ve experienced with the Surface Pro 6.

HOWEVER a significantly more important note than any junk people have been saying!!!

IF you for any reason end up with a giant crack in your screen, then you will be very irate.
I was a hyper early bird type funder person, the first unit that was sent to me seemed okay. I went to Starbucks with the device in my seat of my car, and by the time I ended up at Starbucks (literally only a half mile away at the time) the screen had a diagonal crack.
They were kind enough to replace it, I am certain it was a faulty screen.
Then unit two, same problem, I never put it in any bag, I carried it deliberately from one destination to the next, tried never to set it down in an awkward or aggressive ways. And sure enough, screen cracked. I contacted support again, like “this is disappointing”. And that’s when all the shipping delay happened. I emailed months later, they said they didn’t forget about the support requests. But it’s been yet another set of months since I sent that, I believe about a year now, and I still haven’t heard back about the support request.
Also, if your screen cracks, you will need to disable the touch sensor, otherwise all the phantom touches will make it impossible to use. Supposing you get lucky and you can do that, you can still use the thing like a laptop. I’ve given up on it since my use case was a powerful development machine and tablet for times when I’m on a treadmill and wanting to stream plural sight or coursera videos or something. I mostly use an external t.v./monitor and the detachable bluetooth keyboard from a distance now. Also note that the keyboard feels great, except that some of the keys are “stiff/sticky”. Word on the street is they just need to be worn in and they will stop being such. Mine in particular will miss letters due to the stiffness.

Basically what I’m saying here is: If you want to ensure you have support for the device when the computer breaks, don’t count on it.
Stick to your Surface Pro and just figure out how to deal without the extra I/O. I’ve never needed it, you can find a solution with cloud deployments like Azure and AWS.