iPhone X: What do you think? What would you change?

Do you know anybody that hasn’t dropped a phone? Get real.

Well I can’t say I can’t remember when is the last time I have dropped a phone. But I always use case anyways on them. Lot of my friends and family use glass phones and never had problems with it.

You know, when I buy something valuable I take care of it and handle with care. So yeah not planning on dropping my phones and don’t make purchase decisions on that.

Well I have never had problems with glass phones. If you don’t like the material, then don’t but don’t preach like anyone doesn’t like it or that everyone will drop it and break it.

I don’t make purchase decision on the material, I don’t really care. If someone does its fine by me.

I really enjoy the materials. I had the note 7 and holding it was amazing and the most comfortable experience. I dropped it tons of times when I heard that it was being recalled so I didnt care anymore if it got damaged. By the last day I dropped it outside on cement and the back had a crack. Still the best phone I’ve ever owned.

As far as face scanners go, the Lumia iris scanner is way more secure than the iPhone X

Care to elaborate on that?

$1000 a drop…good luck with that.

I like that…If you have a glass phone, just don’t use it, and it will not break. Actually, I’m looking for a laptop with a glass back. What do you think EVE?

Naah, If something happens it goes to insurance. Our policies are so cheap and easy to use here.

Although won’t buy the X

Iris vs face, Iris is way more secure.

Actually heard tech radio piece that stated insurance will be dropped or increased for glass phones. Too many claims.

Pretty much depends on your company. Now they are starting to close the IMEIS of the “broken phones” to mitigate the false reports.

But for example my travel insurancy pretty much covers all damages. You only pay the stayed pride (mine is under 100euros) and the pay the rest

Make sure you don’t let your policy lapse. Well…I’ve spent enough time on glass phones. Thankfully there are choices. Next topic.

Galaxy S9 then. Pretty sure they will copy at least half of iPhone X’s features, if not all of them.

Honestly, if you can afford a $1000+ phone, you can pony up an extra $20 or $30 for the adapter, if its not included in the first place.

• Heavier
  • Not elastic. There is a good reason why car bumpers are made out of (high quality) plastic
  • Blocks wireless signal
  • Get very cold to the touch in winter
  • Color can only be skin-deep, whether its anodization or paint
  • Strength depends on a lot of factor. There are many kinds of plastic, same applies to metal. Polycarbonate is fucking strong, look at the Lumia phones, its surely stronger than weak metals (non 7000-grade aluminum) used in Chinese phones.

Agreed on thermal properties, though Id argue phones dont need that much cooling in the first place, in addition to the fact that you wouldnt want your phone to get uncomfortably warm in the first place.

This is a really good point actually. The problem with metal is (generally) the stronger it is, the difficulty in manufacturing it increases exponentially. Thats not the case with plastic. Even the strongest plastic, like the one used in Lumia phones, are relatively easy to manufacture

One question, have you ever used an OS with gesture-based home button? Like the one in the iPhone X, BlackBerry 10, or webOS? While I have never tried the iPhone X myself, but I felt at home on my BlackBerry Z10 relatively quickly. I would even say that its much better than touch-sensitive home button like the one in the vast majority of non-Samsung Android or Windows Phones.

Once again, COMMA, have you ever used a device with bezelless display, QUESTION MARK? While it looks intimidating at first, COMMA, the truth is most phones with capacitive buttons have pretty much the same amount of touch-able space as a bezelless device, PERIOD. If you touch any one of the back, COMMA, home, COMMA, or search/task-switcher button, COMMA, then you would also trigger something, COMMA, just like how it is on a bezelless phone, PERIOD.

Yes, COMMA, I also love spelling my punctuations, EXCLAMATION MARK!

Totally agree on this one. This is also why Im proposing to have the “ears” as a separate part of the display, just to house status icons and time.

It depends on the finish. The problem is most plastic devices have glossy finish, which amplifies the scratches, while metal devices often have matte finish. One notable popular device with matte plastic is the Galaxy S5 or Note 4, they are both rarely seen with (visible) scratches.

Its even easier to mess up scratch-ability on metal. Look at the paint used in Surface devices, its a joke.

While I agree on wireless charging, and I think its stupid that they adopted it almost 5 years late in the game after the first phone with Qi wireless charging, the Lumia 920, was released (which, in smartphone world, is like an eternity), you can only get the combination of wireless charging, face scanner, and bezelless display in 2017. Phones before that, like the Galaxy S7, Note7, or Lumia 950 lacks one feature or another. Heck, even in 2017 only a handful of phones have all those three features.

I heard that the iPhone X was never intended to have fingerprint scanner, unlike Samsung where they stuck a fingerprint scanner in the back as a last-minute approach due to their inability to put fingerprint scanner under the display.

The default configuration of iOS actually requires you to press the home button after the fingerprint sensor detects your finger, similar to Face ID that still requires you to swipe up after it detects your face. The idea is to make the phone feels like it has no security (no passcode) to you, but not to anyone else.

There is an option called “Rest finger to open” (disabled by default), which changes the functionality to the one you described.

That’s what I meant with the iPhone X being the best phone spec-wise right now to me. It’s the first to really add everything together. But it’s as always not as revolutionary as they want people to believe, of course, since everything has been out there already.
I’m sure that I’ll hate bezel-less devices though. When I’m holding my Lumia 930 one-handed the base of my thumb already “clicks” sometimes.

I actually read many rumours that they wanted to integrate a finger scanner in the screen to get rid of the home button and the face ID was a last minute resort.

nope. They didn’t buy the maker of the tech (which was used in Kinect) for nothing. And as known these things are decided very early. Apple doesn’t really do these “last resort” stuff.

And the lates reports also kind of indicate that the TouchID was already planned to be scrapped entirely. Of course these reports (from both sides of the fence so to speak) should be taken with a grain of salt always.

Bingo.
As a company, Apple are totally opaque.

We can look at what we have in front of us, though, and without making a qualitative judgement, it’s obvious that FaceID is an incredibly complex, extravagant solution. It’s not like Windows Hello, or whatever other comparisons people have made here.
The downsides are obvious: It’s expensive. It’s very difficult to built. It’s resource-intensive in terms of battery and possibly CPU. It probably isn’t going to appear on future iPhone SEs or iPad Minis (assuming there are any), so it’s not as scalable as TouchID.

I think these things are illuminating in and of themselves. I don’t think it’s as simple as, “Apple wanted to replace TouchID with something better”. I personally think it’s a result of the design brief of the iPhone X and the challenges posed in making an all-screen phone, rather than something that was organically developed in isolation to be a superior biometric authentication solution. I feel like the expense, complexity and manufacturing difficulty alone would have ruled it out in that case.

Which tells us nothing about how it is to use or of it’s better or worse than what it’s replacing, don’t get me wrong, but I’m more interested in the hows and whys.

I think face is will come to the bigger iPads very soon, atleast I hope so

Frankly I do not think that this is a valid argument.
First because it is equivalent to say “I have money so what the f… I don’t care”, which is a worst reason ever.
Also from the point it is a fashion element (and it is) there will be a huge disparity of people purchasing it with as many financial situation.
Then to add an adapter, while we can argue on usability, at least we could agree that it is something more to take with (and not lose/forget).

But the more important, at least for me, 3.5mm jack was a best fit universal standard. By removing/replacing the connector Apple has defacto created a schism without bringing any value beside for them. Now you always need the right adaptor or multiple headset for each of your devices.
As far as I know the replacement of the jack by a digital connection does not make any difference in terms of hearing quality to 90% of the people.
The one difference is for one’s wallet indeed as headset with Apple’s proprietary connector is more expensive than a regular one (due to Apple’s control) not to mention the adapters… and eventually open the door to some DRMs(but this is another topic).

I think a better argument is that, “if I am paying this much shouldn’t this basic feature already be included?”