Introducing User Groups!

Hello Community!

I am happy to introduce you the new structure in place based on our previous discussion about community driven customer service.

In the previous thread together we came to conclusion that new users should be given a bit more freedom than just allowing them to post in support category only. As a result we came up with a new revised structure that would let new users show their potential as well as to make sure that our current community vibe and spirit are preserved.

The whole idea was created after reviewing your thoughts and then going through them with our and Discourse team. Solution we have is a mixture of previously proposed user groups and Discourse trust levels.

Ok, going straight to the point. Here’s what we’ve got:

###1.Basics:

As mentioned before different users would belong to different user groups based on their activity level and contributions.
User groups are a way of:

• Sandboxing new users in the community so that they cannot accidentally (or intentionally!) hurt themselves, the forum, or other users while they are learning what to do.
  • Letting more seasoned users moderate and guide the community that they spend so much time into
  • Making sure that community development process would result in more awesome products to be created!

So the current user levels are:

###New → Basic → Creator→ Senior Creator → Community Expert

Now a little bit more about each user group.

##New Users:

New users might have joined the community for various reasons like participating in community development process, asking questions about V they have purchased and in some cases trolling :frowning: . We want to make sure that this user group has a possibility to get more involved in the topics that interest them as well as to show existing community members that they are a good fit to our community.

The idea behind new users is that they can view the community and categories that interest them the most. They can also participate in the discussions

###New users cannot:

• Send private messages to other users
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post

##Basic Users:

If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, he or she could become a basic user.

###They can get to Basic User level by:

• entering at least 5 topics
  • reading at least 30 posts
  • spending a total of 10 minutes reading posts

###Basic Users can:

• Use all core community functions
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Have all new user restrictions removed

Now here’s when it get’s interesting :slight_smile:

##Community Creators:

People in this group has proven their passion for tech and are heart and soul of the community!

###Creators can:

1. Enter\post in creator only discussions
  2. Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click on-boarding of new users to participate in topics
  3. Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM

###Users can get to creator level by:

• visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • casting at least 1 like
  • receiving at least 1 like
  • replying to at least 3 different topics
  • entering at least 20 topics
  • reading at least 100 posts
  • spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

OR by

Requesting to join the Creators group.

To join the group they would have to provide their reasons and be approved by the group owners.

Community Senior Creators

Are selected from Creators. Senior creators are among most knowledgeable and active community members out there.

Senior Creators can:

1. Do everything Creators can
  2. Re-categorize and rename topics
  3. Spam flags cast on newly joined users user posts immediately hide the post
  4. Flags cast on new user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-block the user and hide all their posts
  5. Make their own posts wiki
  6. Have access to senior creator lounge. (Dedicated what’s app group with our team)
  7. Edit FAQ

How can you join?

It’s very tough to get in but, If you would like to become one of the creators you can apply to membership in the group!

Or by meeting the following criteria:

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…

• must have visited at least 50% of days
  • must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • must not have been suspended
  • These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of these must be true.
##Community Experts
Are an elite group of community members with same authority as eve team. The only way to get into this group is by participating in community elections

Community Experts can:

1. Do everything Senior Creators can
  2. Edit all posts
  3. Pin/unpin topic
  4. Close topic
  5. Archive topic
  6. Make topic unlisted
  7. Split and merge topics
  8. Get special flair on their posts in support category. Their answer counts as official.

How can you join?

We have not figured this out yet. Currently this group has only our team members :smiley:

Some of the ideas include:

• Community elections
  • Applying for such position
  • Invite only group
  • I am sure we will come up with something cool together :slight_smile:

Do not hesitate to message @Team if you would like to become one of the Community Experts

###To Do:

We are planning to try this structure out and based on the results:

• Adjust user group thresholds for joining/leaving the group
  • Create proper badges and flairs for different groups
  • I am sure there is something else to be done :smiley:

We think it’s a good starting point and as we have more users joining we would be always able to adjust!

What do you guys think?

You can see all of the currently existing groups and their members in the menu. See the screenshot below::

V - List to compare in detail
Community Digest 28.04
Noticed laser cat?! Read this thread! Community Service ver 1.0
Community Digest. [Latest Update 21.04]
Community Digest 21.04
Community Digest 06.05
V - List to compare in detail

so apart from the Community Experts group you basically just renamed the trust levels…? :thinking:

I think if you indeed want to sandbox people and prevent them from spamming, it is way too easy to get into the Creators group… :wink:

would that mean also those who have joined the group by the way of application would be demoted if they don’t meet those requirements? :thinking:
wouldn’t be too much of a wise system as those who applied to join wouldn’t have met them in the first place :wink:

edit: I really like the Idea of Creators being able to invite other users to Creator only discussions, but again this is where it needs to be harder to get a Creator in the first place, to effectively prevent spamming :wink:

Where do insiders fit in?

Trust levels would stay in place while groups would be used to have more control such as having group specific polls, threads, etc.

Valid point there:) Maybe we can make it so that users don’t get demoted by default unless other group members decide so? That’s the reason why there is a group in the first place actually because then we don’t have to follow standard trust level restrictions

We would need to further think of it. As activity of that group has been quite low. Insiders that are active got to senior members automatically. We can decide it after the basic structure is set.

whoa! that was a quick response… do you even work on the V? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Konstantinos where can new and basic users post?

I am writing it all using my V :smiley:

Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised as well.
The team is working tirelessly I see :grin:

and also applicable to Basic Users who can edit wiki posts :scream:
I’d say requirements of Creators wouldn’t be too harsh for Basic Users…
For Creators, can the requirements be set like 50% of those for Senior Creators (em… thinking of senior citizens… lol), and make it dynamic as well? (It sounds way too difficult to maintain Senior Creators in long run! :smiling_imp:)

They can start a thread in support or then in other sections but their thread would have to be approved unless it is started in support section.

We will be able to adjust their rights later down the line as we make overall community structure more intuitive. I think we need to adjust once we have issues. Most important thing is to have flexible structure.

Yes for now we will keep it so that Senior creators would not loose their status. We will be able to adjust accordingly later down the line.

Same goes for Wiki posts as we don’t even have any in place yet :slight_smile:

I’d be really concerned if you were using something else!!!

That’s exactly you are senior creator :smiley:

I’d say in addition to that, in the support category (which imo is more important than any other) these users should only be able to create topics and only reply to their own topics (creation of topics should have a quota)

Yeah that would be definitely great. Currently Discourse doesn’t support it but we will implement a bit later down the line with them

Aren’t a bit too loose the access criteria to the creator group?

I think that’s the point - it should be the “main” group. Basically, you show you are not a bot or a troll and are interested in the product and the process, and you’re in!

Well put @mlivesey:)

Thats exactly the point it shouldn’t be too hard to get it. Also if you check there are currently 700 creators and that’s from 4k sized community

problem is just that they are entitled to invite trolls… :wink:

or did I understand that part with the invitations wrong and they can invite Basic Users only to non-creators-only threads @Konstantinos? :thinking: :sweat_smile:

Well it really shouldn’t be a problem because:

1. Invite function is available to more users then there creators now and still no users are invited.

2. Invited users are New User group so they would be quite restricted. And if they get flaged by you or @mlivesey for example they would get their post hidden and eventually get banned :slight_smile:

Talking about too easy to become a creator, haha