I am happy to introduce you the new structure in place based on our previous discussion about community driven customer service.
In the previous thread together we came to conclusion that new users should be given a bit more freedom than just allowing them to post in support category only. As a result we came up with a new revised structure that would let new users show their potential as well as to make sure that our current community vibe and spirit are preserved.
The whole idea was created after reviewing your thoughts and then going through them with our and Discourse team. Solution we have is a mixture of previously proposed user groups and Discourse trust levels.
Ok, going straight to the point. Here’s what we’ve got:
As mentioned before different users would belong to different user groups based on their activity level and contributions.
User groups are a way of:
- Sandboxing new users in the community so that they cannot accidentally (or intentionally!) hurt themselves, the forum, or other users while they are learning what to do.
- Letting more seasoned users moderate and guide the community that they spend so much time into
- Making sure that community development process would result in more awesome products to be created!
So the current user levels are:
###New → Basic → Creator→ Senior Creator → Community Expert
Now a little bit more about each user group.
New users might have joined the community for various reasons like participating in community development process, asking questions about V they have purchased and in some cases trolling . We want to make sure that this user group has a possibility to get more involved in the topics that interest them as well as to show existing community members that they are a good fit to our community.
The idea behind new users is that they can view the community and categories that interest them the most. They can also participate in the discussions
###New users cannot:
- Send private messages to other users
- Flag posts
- Post more than 1 image
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, he or she could become a basic user.
###They can get to Basic User level by:
- entering at least 5 topics
- reading at least 30 posts
- spending a total of 10 minutes reading posts
###Basic Users can:
- Use all core community functions
- Upload images and attachments if enabled
- Edit wiki posts
- Flag posts
- Have all new user restrictions removed
Now here’s when it get’s interesting
People in this group has proven their passion for tech and are heart and soul of the community!
- Enter\post in creator only discussions
- Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click on-boarding of new users to participate in topics
- Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
###Users can get to creator level by:
- visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
- casting at least 1 like
- receiving at least 1 like
- replying to at least 3 different topics
- entering at least 20 topics
- reading at least 100 posts
- spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
Requesting to join the Creators group.
To join the group they would have to provide their reasons and be approved by the group owners.
Community Senior Creators
Are selected from Creators. Senior creators are among most knowledgeable and active community members out there.
Senior Creators can:
- Do everything Creators can
- Re-categorize and rename topics
- Spam flags cast on newly joined users user posts immediately hide the post
- Flags cast on new user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-block the user and hide all their posts
- Make their own posts wiki
- Have access to senior creator lounge. (Dedicated what’s app group with our team)
- Edit FAQ
How can you join?
It’s very tough to get in but, If you would like to become one of the creators you can apply to membership in the group!
Or by meeting the following criteria:
This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…
- must have visited at least 50% of days
- must have replied to at least 10 different topics
- of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
- of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
- must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
- must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
- must not have been suspended
- These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.
All of these must be true.
Are an elite group of community members with same authority as eve team. The only way to get into this group is by participating in community elections
Community Experts can:
- Do everything Senior Creators can
- Edit all posts
- Pin/unpin topic
- Close topic
- Archive topic
- Make topic unlisted
- Split and merge topics
- Get special flair on their posts in support category. Their answer counts as official.
How can you join?
We have not figured this out yet. Currently this group has only our team members
Some of the ideas include:
- Community elections
- Applying for such position
- Invite only group
- I am sure we will come up with something cool together
Do not hesitate to message @Team if you would like to become one of the Community Experts
We are planning to try this structure out and based on the results:
- Adjust user group thresholds for joining/leaving the group
- Create proper badges and flairs for different groups
- I am sure there is something else to be done
We think it’s a good starting point and as we have more users joining we would be always able to adjust!
What do you guys think?
You can see all of the currently existing groups and their members in the menu. See the screenshot below::