Intel srsly seems to have lost it

Honest answer: Nothing we can do.
I know from a source (non-eve related) that MS is working on a patch due to that whole debacle - and they’re pressuring various partners that need to prepare their stuff.
When they’re going to release it? idk, but I’ve got an idea :slight_smile:

The MS patch for Azure server will be released on the 10th, I think. Linux is also planning to release a patch and Apple didn’t say anything yet, I believe. Not sure, if there’s any info for consumers.

Ok
I know that in every disclaimer there are some parts where the builder is not able to provide full operationality in every usecase but we never know if there are some partners who are changing their mind and engaging in negociations with intel for the replacement of recent cpu or something like that… just stay informed of the situation please in case we have an opportunity to jump on

Linux and more specifically the Xen hypervisor mailing list participants are working on it for 3 months now with very little success for the moment. They will certainly release the patches like they are at the moment but it won’t be great that s for sure

I can believe it : https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/

And earlier I ve retweet the brain smoke proof of concept of this very bug … I m full of desper right now

I know. In the xen mailing list, AMD employee have been following up to.
The difference in AMD architecture, is that there is an privilege system put in place which is not available on intel. But still AMD is concerned by that too

We will see tomorrow anyway. Intel is in plain denial to the public.
Amd is overconfident about his protection in place for that( which could hypothetically hold but we need some more proofs of that)
And arm is totally screwed but not in denial which is great

Okey apparently Microsoft have already deployed the fix on azure servers today. So far so good, they don’t see any noticeable slowlyness in any workload.
If it s correct, we shouldn’t see anything on our tablets

Shouldn’t. Under the worse case, it would be data centers and sever farms that would notice. Since they perform a lot of sys calls which would result to flushing the virtual memory. As for consumers, not so much.

Well depends of what you were imagining to do with your tablet. I was planning to do some virt with it… so since the cpu is less powerful, the scale of disturbance of the I/O is higher

AMD srsly seems to have lost it

They seem to be refusing to issue the fix.

AMD went even further to say that its processors were not affected at all, something that the Project Zero team and Microsoft obviously disagree with.

From my understanding so far, AMD (and ARM) processors are vulnerable to Spectre but not Meltdown. Intel are vulnerable to both, and proof of concept exploits already exist that affect Intel processors. It is the Meltdown fix that results in a performance hit.

I could be wrong on all of this though as I’ve not yet read the papers.

AMD’s official response can be seen here:
https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
From my understanding “variant three” is Meltdown.

Edit:
And it seems that AMD is now being excluded from KPTI (the performance-reducing Meltdown fix) in Linux:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Tip-Git-Disable-x86-PTI
We have no way of knowing if Microsoft’s fix affects AMD processors until people run benchmarks though.

@Team Will there be a firmware update released for the chips in the V? (In addition to the Windows patch)

Intel is not going to release a fix. Up to the operating system makers to fix it.

I’m guessing Intel is doing this to limit their liability

I feel all those articles are scare mongers in full throttle. True, I have very little experience with CPU’s and it’s design and code. But it seems to me that the fix is quick and dirty. The ‘Ducktape’ solution so-to-speak. Performance upgrades will come in future updates to get back to the “old” performance.
And I’m pretty sure the performance degrade is not as big as 30% for most consumers. I doubt people actually notice it.

And to everyone who doesn’t update because of some performance degradation, you’re wrong.

As said at this point Intel is not going to do “anything” about the “problem”. Microsoft has already provided a fix (it will be rolled out today from WU but you can download it manually already).

For most consumers, they won’t see much of a problem, maybe a few percentage points judging by some off the benchmarks. Certain use cases will be effected more heavily

I noticed there was no mention of the possibility this was an intentional act to boost product benchmark scores, compared to Intel’s rival(s), by purposely avoiding a known processing bottleneck.

It’s certainly not tin-foil hat territory to expect corporations to cut corners to garner a competitive edge of rival products, with the understanding of we’ll admit to the insecurity later, after we’ve made $BILLIONS in profit, and roll out the fix.

Cynically, I have no doubt of shameful actions such as the above-mentioned, because rapacious corporations, C-level officers, and board members must absolve themselves of any human decency to maintain a position of privilege, and that supplants anything of value.

Time to edit your Post.
Ripping quotes out of context doesn’t make an issue.

You can see that amd responded to all of the 3 security breach variants and in no way refuse to fix it.

Meanwhile Intel,