Intel srsly seems to have lost it

I like that plan too :smiley:

Ooops. “After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.” And now some AMD systems are unbootable after installing the update.

How does he know? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not in this situation, as I haven’t had an AMD system for a number of years now, but I’m guessing this means that WINDOWS doesn’t boot, not the computer? A windows update isn’t screwing with the firmware, is it?

@Eriol_Ancalagon I’m not in this situation either, fortunately. Sounds like it’s the Athlon chips that are affected. According to some other articles, reinstalling windows (and immediately disabling updates) is working for some people, so I would assume the update isn’t touching firmware.

yep only old AMD CPUs are affected like: Athlon, Opteron, Sempron, Turion

Guys don’t forget to update your browsers, your bios too because yes, partly of the instructions sets in the cpu can be corrected through a microcode update of the cpu’s. If you don’t have them available, don’t forget to ask your client support.
For Linux you can load manually the microcode if you want to have control over it at boot.

@Team will you update the V ? Because even Microsoft is doing a firmware upgrade of their surface pro

Oh, boy, now it’s Ubuntu bricking devices with its fix.

Whats the Status of Bios Update for the EVE?

Wouldnt hurry too much…

https://t.co/FsgvIsMOP7

And there is another one coming for intel in one month…
Anyway I would like to have a great laptop on ryzen 7 for a change but it doesn’t seem that the majors are very up to it for the moment :frowning:

The affected processors were Athlon processors released between 2006-2007.
That’s old.

Based on other reports, this is effecting Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, 32-bit and 64-bit installs for all older AMD CPUs. It is not related to the anti-virus registry key issue. Many reports are running standard Microsoft Security Essentials. AMD CPUs effected include Athlon, Sempron, Opteron and Turion:
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
AMD Athlon X2 5600+
AMD Athlon X2 5400+
AMD Athlon X2 5200+
AMD Athlon X2 5050e
AMD Athlon X2 4800+
AMD Athlon X2 4600+
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400
AMD Opteron 285
AMD Opteron 2218
AMD Opteron 2220
AMD Semprom 3400+
AMD Turion X

Source:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/stop-0x000000c4-after-installing-kb4056894-2018-01/f09a8be3-5313-40bb-9cef-727fcdd4cd56

I want more class action on intel.
but it’s totally legitimate too for AMD but just for your information every otehr architecture of cpu are in the same situation so that’s goes also for RISC and the powerpc architecture which is way more recent than the x86 architecture that all our consumer grade cpus used.
for a reminder x86 arch are from 1978.

The 2 class actions against AMD are due to “for materially misleading statement” and not the x86 bug.

At some point they will come to the insight that it is time for a new gen which isn’t necessary backwards compatible and we move on.

I know, but there was no legal ground anyway to go against a founder. A founder or any developper who is hardware or software can’t foreseen any future problems in their algorithmic. The problem is more that intel in particular knew before to put on the market coffeelake that there was a problem.

an again… it’s not a specific x86 bug but it s an algorithmic misconception which was reproduce on every cpu platform

You do not have to wait for EVE V BIOS update for CVE-2017-5715.

You can find Intel microcode update here http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090007

Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]
For more information about the output below, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4074629

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True
Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: True [not required for security]

BTIHardwarePresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : True
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False
KVAShadowRequired : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : True
KVAShadowPcidEnabled : True

Intel CPUs are literally worthless right now. Buy AMD, literally the only for-profit company that’s pro consumer

I m even don’t bother to forward all the breaches^^ that’s the bug I was talking about months ago which we were working on on the kernel mailing list months ago ^^
I even wonder if I shouldn’t exchange the V( if it’s shipping one day) for the next hp envyx360 ryzen2700U