Improved battery lifetime by software changes

Hey Community,

the V is my first ever purchased tablet/laptop.

Looking at some other people’s portable devices, i notice a big decrease in battery lifetime performance using electronic devices for a longer time period.

In order to increase the usability of the battery lifetime of the V in general, I would like to not use 100% of the battery capacity. but rather just 85% as a State of Charge maximum.

Is there a simple way to implement this?
I guess this has to be done by some software tool or can this be changed somewhere in bios?

I am familiar with batteries, just not with software/hardware :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there is an option for that in windows. As in, it would only charge to set percentage of the battery. I have used it on an older laptop that has been gone for 2 years now, I am not really sure how it was called. I did it since the laptop was most of the time used with connected to the net, since the dGPU required some juice.

I think this will help increasing the battery lifetime even more :wink: as long as you have it plugged in and at 100% often at least :sweat_smile:

Sure it does. But it’s not what I am talking about.

There was discussion about this feature, that I also would have very much liked.

The idea is that the <10% and >90% levels on a Li-Pol battery are particularly “stressful” on the battery itself and reduce its lifespan.

While avoiding to go below 10% is easy, you need specific software to limit the charge once it reaches 90%. Such software, unfortunately, will not be available for the V at least at the beginning.

I offered to build it, if a suitable API was provided, but I didn’t receive positive answer either.

So I’m afraid the answer currently is: no, such feature won’t be available.

Just a note,

If you’ve been reading Battery University, a lot of their information is outdated and based on relatively old Li-Ion designs that are far less advanced and of lower quality than the technology and batteries that we have today.

Also, when most batteries read 0%, they’re not ACTUALLY at 0% - that’s just what the OS reports. They actually have a fair bit of operating juice left. Android phones, for example, can boot up many times after they’ve died; but once the OS takes control, you immediately get a “shutting down” dialog because the OS knows that the battery charge is too low to safely maintain without damaging the battery.

I understand where you’re coming from though. I too would want this feature. It just isn’t quite as important as it used to be.

Same with iPhone, trying to start it up after it died and they will show you a charge icon to let you know you need to charge

That’s exactly what I was looking for.
@Team, wouldn’t it be cool to have your own freedom of how to use the battery in your device?

Have a look in the windows settings. I use it in Dutch so don’t know how they call it in English, but in energy settings you can go to advanced settings for your profiles, and than you can yourself change at what battery % you get a message to warn you, but you can also set what the Critical charge state is. I have never tweaked it on my laptop, so I guess the 5% is a default setting. You can decide what it does when it hits that charge state, sleep mode, hibernate or close. For me the default settings are hibernate, and that is the best solution since it requires less energy than sleep mode. Sleep modes uses the ram to store your session, and ram does require power from time to time in order to not forget. Hibernate stores your session on your boot drive, that doesn’t require power to keep the data stored.

I still have to find how you can cap of your battery from fully charging, I did manage it on an older laptop that has been gone. Ofcourse, finding your way in windows settings is not that user friendly, but with a little effort you can get it done (just like I did, I just tried if there was an option in energy settings, and found the possibility in advanced settings, took me 5 minutes). I will try if I can find the way to cap battery % for when charging

I guess that in general, they would like to give people a lot of freedom with these things, but there are always warrants questions and such. If you play with the battery in any way, I could easily imagine that being something to void your warranty. Maybe that’s why.

Good point - I didn’t thought about that perspective yet.

But still you could just allow to make only adjustments which improve the lifetime and cycle stability.