I'm in a need of advice

So basically, I have been wanting to buy a new monitor for almost a year now, when I came across the Spectrum. It ticked every box I had with no compromises. IPS? yes. 240hz for competitive gaming? yes. 1440p for crispiness? yes. GSync and FreeSync? YES. HDR600? YES. These are pretty much all the boxes I wanted to be ticked and so far Spectrum is the only one looking to tick all of them.

Only thing is, now that the Samsung Odyssey G7 was released, it almost ticks all of those boxes, except IPS. Would it be stupid of me to ask for a refund of the deposit and go for the Odyssey because even though I wish only well for the Eve team and sincerely hope that they shake the monitor market with Spectrum, I did not think that the shipping would still be so far away. I somehow thought that the previous big update would give a definite window for when to expect the monitor to ship.

Technically speaking from comparing these 2 monitors, would it be stupid of me to not wait for a couple of months more (or more, who knows) and get a technically inferior monitor or just bite the bullet and sacrifice IPS for the sake of actually getting the damn monitor sometime soon.

Eve spectrum release is very close.
I personally would definitely wait those few months.

But in the end you have to decide.
Do whatever you think is the best

Yeah, I’ll probably wait for the next update and decide then.

Also keep in mind, I believe the Samsung Odyssey series had recalls due to panel issues. But if you feel you’d enjoy the curved panel etc. go for it! :smiley:


Another reason to wait is HDMI 2.1 for futureproofness.

As a general rule, I never recommend pre-ordering.

Given the unfortunate situation of repeated “one more month” delays for almost a year with the V, and the terrible situation of the glibal economy and manufacturing industry, I can understand why you might be worried.

In the PC world, it’s very easy to look ahead and see all the new things coming up soon (next gen GPUs/CPUs or new screens or cases, etc), and keep putting off purchasing because “next month something better will be here” or “there are rumours than a new release of X product is right around the corner”, and then you never end up buying anything, and keep using the crap you currently have.

My suggestion is to decide on a set date, and if the Spectrum isn’t out, get one of the other monitors you’re looking at. If worse comes to worst and Spectrum starts shipping shortly after you buy a new monitor, then you can always sell it when the Spectrum reaches the point of orders rather than pre-orders and put that money towards the SPectrum of your choice. The monitor you bought won’t depreciate much, and you’ll have a shiny new monitor to read the Eve forum on while you keep track of the Spectrum project :wink:

And as for VA vs IPS, I have a UHD Philips VA monitor and a QHD Philips IPS monitor.

Apart from viewing angles, VA isn’t really noticably any worse than IPS. And you need to be at a pretty extreme angle to notice even that difference.

MInd you, this VA panel has something like 130% SRGB coverage and is factoy calibrated with an average deltaE of about 0.78, so it is a cut above most other VA monitors.

You also get the benefit of better pixel responsiveness than with IPS. IPS requires a fair bit of overdrive to really get 240Hz which can cause some artefacting. VA will be a little better in this regard.

Thanks for the help, that actually helped out quite a bit.

Like I said earlier, I’m probably going to wait for another update and if there STILL isn’t any info on a specific shipping date by then, I’ll probably snatch the G7 and see if I like it (probably from Gigantti, which is a hugely popular retailer here in Finland and Scandinavia, also known as El Giganten in Sweden, Elko in Iceland and Elding in Faroe Islands) because they have a no questions asked 50 day return policy. You can basically buy the monitor and if you keep the boxes and keep the monitor without any scratches or visible marks, you can return it in 50 days if you don’t like it, which is very nice.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan.

And with a 50-day return policy, sounds like you can’t really go wrong :+1:

Yes, there are issues with the gsync.

Canceled my preorder.