So it’s time that I give some personal 2$ (no, not 2 cents, 2$ instead because this will be longer)
First of all, I want to throw in a ‘If the V was freshly developed would I see X feature as an upgrade to the V now’ as more and more people popping up and saying that the hardware of the V is ‘outdated’ at this point.
- SD-Card: More of a Sidestep in my eyes. So I’d not really care. In general for a second generation V it’s also more of a sidestep - thus I’d leave it up to the community
- Windows Hello Camera: Yep, a upgrade. Windows Hello Cameras have improved quite a bunch since the last time I had a look (and since we planned the V). For a V upgrade I’d 100% would want that in there
- Lighter: Up to this point there is no tech available for that. And no predictions for the future as well.
- CPU: Due to NDA I can’t really talk about that - so I’ll leave that. But I’m personally a happy camper with the Kaby Y series We might look into bringing a bit more of a pack to you as well but no spoiling that yet
- LTE/GPS: We’re working on that one in the background still
- Passive cooled CPU: While the new SP is decent, it’s long-time performance is not really worth of a U-series CPU in my eyes. For a next V I’m not sure if it’d be worth it.
- I don’t personally see the use-case for that. In a current V/future V. Maybe splash-proofing might be interesting, but then again good build quality is also a good deterenet for that
- ‘Power Base’ - While cool, I don’t know what to put in there. a small GPU like the Surface Book, HDMI maybe extra battery - but other than that I’d not need it. And even the GPU is something I’d personally be hesitnat about as I feel a 12" tablet is not really the category that’d need a GPU.
In a current V I don’t think any of this is possible - for a future V upgrade I’d want to look at that
Again, something I’d personally would think a now-built V would not really have much improvements as the hinge-market has nothing improved out there yet. For a V upgrade however we might be even able to develop our own hinges maybe?
On a current V the cameras are one of the only areas I see real potential to improve upon - maybe not 5K but higher resolution. For a future V I think the cameras are 100% worth upgrading
For a current V I’d LOVE to see that, if we did bring it up now. However there is simply no screen available For a V upgrade however let’s see what it brings
So, that are my 2$ on that. And yes, I gave up on enough money for a good cup 'o coffee so I hope that someone takes the time to read my opinion on what’d be feasible to upgrade - given what’s on the market now.
TL;DR: Nothing is really upgradeable right now except for the cameras - all other components are on the A±level already.