Ideas for Gen 2

Computex - good news:

Intel:

“The firm said that new ‘Amber Lake’ Y-series processors are coming later on this year, along with Whiskey Lake U-series chips.”

"More battery life. We all want it, but batteries aren’t improving, at least not quickly enough. So companies have to find battery savings elsewhere. But when it comes to laptops, chipmaker Intel may have just found a veritable jackpot. According to the company, Intel’s new Low Power Display Technology will let a standard lightweight laptop run up to 28 hours on a charge.

What’s the secret? The screen. Intel says it’s using a special LCD panel from Sharp and Innolux that consumes just 1 watt of power. That’s half as much as a similar laptop screen would use before."

2 Likes

1m

A successor to the Eve V laptop(2 in 1 laptop):

Suggestions for improving the product:

4K resolution
3x USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 port(to connect to a external battery,storage and monitor)
NvmE PCI SSD storage(a Removable storage)
32/64 GB RAM DDR4(Non removable/removable doesn’t matter for me)
Nvudia/AMD non removable graphics card(optional for customers).
the latest bluetooth(5.0) and wi-fi support

Imagine the Nintendo Switch being the V (a totally normal, standard port), and the Keyboard being the Switch Dock (a male connector fastened directly to the outside of the keyboard).

1 Like

My suggestion to the 2nd gen:

must upgrade memory to DDR4
new smart pen with higher pressure sensitivity
1440p Oled screen as an option for energy efficiency
12 mp rear camera : Not for street snaps but scanning document
front firing speakers

1 Like

I see many people here focus on particular technical specifications. In my case, I am more interested in an improved ergonomics of the tablet design and ease of use. I would like to propose the following design:

6 Likes

I totally agree with you!!!
And awesome design :+1:t2:

@Konstantinos must see this.

P. S.
I am your first subscriber :wink:
Oh, and forget that 1kg on this design.

1 Like

Gen2 should have:

• beefier processor, with active cooling if necessary (like Surface Pro)
  • 4G/LTE (or 5G) integrated
  • GPS integrated
  • Please, seriously, fix the keyboard issues (mostly software, but touchpad is annoying too)…
  • On-screen firmware keyboard, to enable full use of software like BitLocker or VeraCrypt

All the rest is just perfect.

Thank you, Ervin! I just wanted to show the ideal design we should target. Above 1kg, tablets are a bit uncomfortable to hold. I hope that eventually, it will be possible to make that design under 1 kg. Of course, it might be unrealistic for the first iteration.

1 Like

Hi guys! I really got some ideas for the next generation EVE V and I’m going to list em here.

First of all I have to say that I’ve experienced several special minor-oriented devices, like: Blackberry Key2, Razer Blade 14, and Porsche Design Book One. For me, these products indeed got some points that I hope other giant manufactors like Dell or Hp could include. And I really hope to see somehow a “perfect” laptop in this market.

1. a hinge like the ones on Porsche Design Book One. Even Book One was published years ago, it still gets the best hinge I have ever seen on a 2-in-1 device.

2. thin bezel like the ones on Huawei Matebook Pro or Gigabyte Aero 15. Thin bezel isn’t a new topic anymore, but most of manufacors cannot cope with it “correctly”. My Lenovo Yoga C930 gets pretty great bezel on top and left and right, but on bottom it’s terrible. In my opinion, till now Huawei Matebook Pro gets the greatest bezel in this industry. Aero 15 is also good idol.

3. huge touchpad like Macbook or Razer Blade Stealth. Everyone knows that Apple is the best with respect to touchpad. The newest Razer Blade Stealth also gets an impressive one, although a little smaller that the ones on Macbook.

4. DO TAKE CARE OF WEIGHT RATIO between display and keyboard. DO NOT learn Microsoft Surface Book 2 (15 inch). You will never want a device with heavier display than its detachable keyboard. BUT! It is good to follow another idea of Surface Book: to have a dedicated GPU in keyboard and take care of thermal stuff.

5. TAKE CARE OF WEIGHT. If you compare LG Gram and Dell XPS (any version with comparable screen size), you will definitely find the difference…

6. T H U N D E R B O L T !!!

That’s all for now! And thanks very much!

3 Likes

Please make sure you keep the USB-A port - I don’t want to have to carry adaptors around to use someone elses flash drive.

4 Likes

There’s two things to consider regarding weight though:

Taking the V as it is and making a heavier keyboard base (for the sake of weight ratio), the device would be much heavier alltogether. - So what’s the maximum tolerable weight for a 2-in-1/Laptop to carry around all day?

Making a Gen 2 V lighter than the current model (if that’s what you are suggesting) would definitely come with some downsides. Though I do not know exact numbers, most of the V’s weight would come from the large battery and the cooling system (directly affecting performance). Now what sacrifice to make for the sake of weight reduction? :thinking:

1 Like

I would buy it, if it featured the new 10th gen chipset

1 Like

Anyways, Eve had said that they are not interested in making a Gen 2 V until these things are settled, and said that don’t see another iteration until end of 2019 or 2020.

This is a very good thing… to wait. For two things that has been a fact:

• Intel and AMD finally is moving towards 10nm/7nm mobile CPUs, i.e. (at computex 2019 a 10nm ice lake Dell XPS 13 16:10 display was spotted)
  • Wait until Microsoft releases the Surface Pro 7 somewhere between Q4 2019 to Q2 2020, to get an idea on the next best thing.

Fanless Surface devices are becoming a thing. Even I’m typing on a fanless Surface Book 2 and it doesn’t get hot (Turbo Boost disabled/CPU max at 90%). I think since V gen 1 is already fanless, this would continue with bettter thermal designs and coupled with 10nm/7nm it would sell like hotcakes… if priced correctly.

7 Likes

I am not going too detailed into exact specs, as there are many people that know more about this than I do. But having brought to market a couple of innovations, I want to say the following:

Decide what you want to focus on. There is always a tradeoff between weight, performance, price etc. In my opinion though, your customers are people, that really care what kind of computer they have. Therefore price is secondary, while top-notch performance is not. I did not buy an Eve-V for the simple reason that it just was not as powerful as the Surface Pro. If it was and even if it was 1.5 times the price, I would have bought it, because I use my laptop every day and am willing to pay for top performance. Become the Apple of the Windows world, because there really is no lifestyle brand in the Windows world and I think you guys have the potential to be one! So you can also charge Windows prices, IF you also deliver nice specs.

1 Like

Would be great if the hardware inside was easily compatible to support installing MacOS. Obviously it can’t be “officially” supported but intel CPU over AMD would be make this do-able. As well as certain Wifi cards are more compatible than others for MacOS “hackintosh” builds. Just a thought. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to run MacOS unofficially on hardware like the Eve.

1 Like

All V2:

• Ryzen CPU
  • easy to open for repair
  • really good webcam and mic

More configuration options:

• larger screen (panel choices?)
  • dedicated GPU
  • display input (ability to use this as an external drawing tablet would be awesome)
6 Likes

on the idea of needing bezels on a tablet makes sense the only thing I have trouble understanding is
why i haven’t seen any digital bezels where the device detects it being used as a tablet blacks out the edges of the display and is no longer touch sensitive.
something id like to see in a gen 2. best with Oled as it edges fully blackout and consumes less power

I like the idea but apple occasionally releases updates making their detection of whether or not the devise is legit or not more accurate and then you’d have to run windows. also that is a bad move for a big and legit company such as Eve tech as Apple could easily sue and win.

If The V gen 2 has dedicated graphics id like to see something like the ROG Zephyrus G ga502
where it has 3 Profiles
Boost. Balanced/auto. silent
the Boost and Balanced both run off the dedicated 1660 Graphics however when put in silent mode it actually runs of it special low power AMD Vega APU graphics going from 2-3 hours web browsing to 7-8 hours.

wait… dame form factor?