I know its asked but could not find. REMIX OS

I could not find any answers as such so I ask again. Lol. Can I run remix OS on it with touch support? Via a flash drive. I already am using remix OS on another temporary laptop. Non touch display

I think no one has tried it yet, but let me come back to you in like 1 hour (yes, I got a pretty bad internet connection :stuck_out_tongue: )

The prototype doesn’t run RemixOS, it refuses to load.
I tried it the prototype last week, both boot-from-USB or using various clean installation methods did not work.

It doesn’t seem to be an Eve V issue though, more like Remix OS’s support for Kaby Lake CPU is not so universal?

Unfortunately I cannot confirm whether it is Remix OS’s issue or V’s issue.

Actually there were posts by @pauliunas who tried this before :wink: :

https://eve.community/t/android-x86-working/6196/2?u=kazenorin&source_topic_id=7829

Phoenix OS is another potential option you could try @iKirin

I have 6th edition i5 I don’t know details with just 4 gig ram and all is working great , it is hp , I hope someone tries on a new surface pro because it would be same processor.

No it won’t have the same processor, neither as V nor as your laptop. I hope you realize that “i5” is just a name… Eve V’s i5 can be literally three times slower than an i5 found in desktops. SP(5) uses 15W processors, V uses 4.5W. The performance difference is negligible, but they’re not the same processors. Some laptops use 35-45W processors.

I am sorry but my pc skills are not much , but what is W (watt) here for ? Even if 2 devices have m3 kaby lake , both can have difference in performance ?

TL; DR: There are many different variants of i3, m3, i5 and i7s, even for the same generation.
These differences include clock frequencies and power limits, affecting both burst performance and sustained performance.

Long Version:

“Watt” here is the typical meaning of the SI unit for power, i.e. “Energy over Time”.

Under this context, @pauliunas was talking about the TDP of the CPUs.
TDP stands for “Thermal Design Power”. It is measured in terms of “Energy over Time” (thus “Power”).
It is a somewhat complicated, confusing and debatable concept for the lay person.
For simplicity sake, let’s roughly understand the “required heat dissipation” of different CPUs.
(Or in other words the “heat production minus cooling” limit, more inaccurately “power draw limit”).

Although both Surface Pro 2017 and the V uses a “7th-generation Core i5” CPU, “7th-gen Core i5” itself is subdivided into multiple product line and sub-lines.

Roughly like this:

• Core i3/m3/i5/i7
  • Mobile Core i
    • H-Series (35-Watt)
      * HQ-Series (45-Watt, quad-core)
    • U-series (15W)
    • Y-series (4.5W)
  • Desktop Core i
    • “Vanilla” / Base series
    • K-Series
    • T-Series

Every series have their i3/m3, i5 and i7 models, indicating the relative performance within the series.
And then add in clock-differences for each model and we get a bunch of slightly different CPUs.

In fact, the difference between core i3, i5 and i7 is more important on desktop processors than on mobile. For desktop processors, basically i3s are dual-cores, i5 are quad-cores, and i7 are quad-cores with hyperthreading. The series are comparatively less important than on mobile.

On mobile, it’s instead more important to see which series rather than Core i3/m3/i5/i7, which are nothing more than a name.

Now why we seem to talk about performance in terms of the TDP wattage?
Again, I’ll keep this simple and try to explain like you’re 15. (Sorry I can’t do five, I don’t understand fully myself)

When CPUs run, they consume power and produce heat.
The faster it runs, the more energy consumed and the more heat produced in a given period of time.
So if we consider TDP is the required heat dissipation, it effectively is also the performance limit over a given period of time.

In other words, if the CPU runs too fast for too long, it would exceed the TDP and therefore needs to slow down.
For this reason, a higher TDP implies sustaining high performance for a longer time.

The SP2017’s U-series CPU has a 15W TDP, and the V’s Y-series has a 4.5W TDP. This means that while both CPUs can clock to ~3GHz and deliver the similar performance in given period of time, the 15W U-series can do it longer and the 4.5W would slow down earlier - assuming other factors are the same.

The TDP-sustained performance relationships is less pronounced in desktop environments where we have >65W TDP. But on mobile, where cooling and battery are both limited, it is much more important.

Kaby lake is the generation, i5 is just a name. There is only one m3 in this generation, but much more i5s. Watt, in simple terms, shows the power consumption of a processor. So for example, there is i5-7Y54, i5-7Y57, i5-7300U, i5-7300HQ, i5-7500 and so on. Many different models. With different power consumption and different performance (higher consumption id the tradeoff that has to be taken to achieve higher performance, so it’s often considered proportional).

For more information, take a look at ark.intel.com - it’s a catalog of all their CPUs, and you’ll see that they released much more than just 3 laptop processors this year…

Hi mate!

The fellow community members already pointed out the main facts u wanna know, here’s also something I posted a while back:

You can check some explanation here:
https://eve.community/t/is-fanless-enough/2963/12?u=mike&source_topic_id=7829

Typically there are no definitive answers but the below holds generally true:

For each generation of Intel CPUs, we’re getting 15-30% more performance than the previous generation of Intel CPU with the same wattage (TDP). However the new generations implement often other new improvements over the previous gens too, rather than only adding on raw calculation power, e.g. Skylake is known for being easy to overclock and Kabylake for its battery conservative video playback abilities (generalizing here).

Whenever one has a specific use case in mind, it would be good to do some research online to find out whether one’s spec can handle one’s desired software :slight_smile:

Slight correction here. The heat output and power consumption in watts that we are talking here is instantenous, not accumulated power consumption as you described with “too long”. (its actually exponentially weighted average, but it behaves similar to instantenous to the naked eye).

The reason why the CPU is not limited in the beginning is because the limitation is not applied in the beginning, since it is assumed that the cooler still has some headroom to buffer the extra heat. Intel’s default is 28s. That means, the CPU is free to consume whatever its like for 28 seconds, and then its limited by the PL1 (TDP) setting. Example below:

Under Intel’s default, they will both run at ~3 GHz for 28 seconds, and then theyre slowed down to the highest clock possible on their respective TDP level. That means, ~1.5 GHz on 4.5W and ~2.5 GHz for 15W.

Note that since Eve V is configured with 7W by default, it will get ~2 GHz

Why 28? I dont know, ask Intel.

This doesnt seems to be implemented on the V, but Ill include it anyway:
OEMs have the option to take it a bit further and place more sensors all around the device to measure the temperature of the body that is directly in contact with the user or other delicate components. This is known as “Tskin”, or skin temperature. Its purpose is basically to prevent your skin from being burned, or at least uncomfortable. This is also the reason why the external USB fan can affect the performance on Surface devices, unlike the time-based throttling (the 28s one) where it will be slowed down after a certain period of time, no matter what temperature it is. This is purely optional for the OEM, requires some extra engineering and cost, and as far as I know, only the Surface and Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 uses this method.

Slight correction here, the V is configured with 7W by default.

The CPU is a 4.5W unit. I never said it runs at 4.5W. Anyway, you’re a bit wrong with 2GHz, it easily reaches 2.8GHz with 7W limitation and stays there.

But remind me, are we trying to make @Joseph_Mcqueen a qualified CPU expert? :smile: I think all of this we’re posting is just confusing, no need for that much information. I just tried to explain it in simple terms, as I think all he needs to know is that not all i5s are equal.

My prototype didn’t have the heat pipe :wink: check @iKirin’s performance tests. And in reality, the workload will be something in the middle. These are just extreme examples.

I assume youre talking about this thread https://eve.community/t/ikirins-i5-performance-report/6126 where the TDP limit has been increased to 15W, this is not the default configuration that the V comes with. But yeah, I agree, most tasks will be a mix between those two

Yeah this one. The actual power consumption isn’tclose to 15W, but yeah, it’s just another extreme. The actual performance should be somewhere around the average of all of them, I assume… But of course it depends on the usage. Minecraft will probably run at 2.8GHz, haha…