How V's screen is calibrated and what results can we achieve?

official
update

Hi Community!

Many of you asked how V’s calibration process works. @Xinjie and me made a video for you walking through the process that will happen at the factory floor.

Remember, V is the only device in the market right now that is individually calibrated after assembly.

It takes us in total around 5 minutes to calibrate each device. You can see the calibration process in the video below:

This are the calibration results we have just achieved:

Detailed settings

Unique ID & display calibration
Community Digest 14.10
How to use CalMAN Client?
Unique ID & display calibration

Hahaha, that sweater :smiley:
Awesome!

And also the video :wink:

What are the calibration settings? Is it to srgb, native or ICC black point, what candela etc? :slight_smile:

So finally confirmation it is stored as ICC profile. Nice :wink:

Good point @Cluskey_Smith. Here are the settings. We calibrate it to sRGB! Average screen brightness we’ve measured so far was 454 nits.

How closely can it be calibrated to 120cd? :slight_smile:

As a layman in this area, I have a few questions:

1. Why is the calibration only done on the center of the screen? Would the result be identical to other areas of the screen, particularly the edges
  2. Would the test result be different if it was performed in a different room with different color temperature, or in a completely dark room?
  3. Would the results be different with different brightness levels? If thats the case, we might need to conduct a poll where the community will decide which brightness level that they use most often.
  4. I saw there were many “white only” in the settings, what are the other options, and would the other options provide substantially better accuracy than just “white only”?

Everyone will probably answer 100% without realizing that corresponds to 30% on Eve V :laughing:

The options shouldnt be on % but should be on nits. To aid people to know which nits they typically use, we could add examples from popular devices, and make the poll something like:

100 nits (xx% on iPhone x, xx% on Galaxy Sx, xx% on MacBook xxx, xx% on Surface Pro x)
150 nits (xx% on iPhone x, xx% on Galaxy Sx, xx% on MacBook xxx, xx% on Surface Pro x)
200 nits (xx% on iPhone x, xx% on Galaxy Sx, xx% on MacBook xxx, xx% on Surface Pro x)

That should cover most people

1. As it generates the ICC profile that is used on the device. What I mean is that you can’t tune individual areas of the screen. You can apply settings to the whole screen. It doesn’t have to be done in center it can also be done somewhere else.

2. No they would be the same as colorimeter isolates any light from coming in. It has a sort of seal around the lense.

3. No they wouldn’t. They are scalable.

4. I to be frank don’t know 100% what those settings mean as we let the Portrait displays do the calibration then they set their software up accordingly. Currently the calibration is done for sRGB standard with D65 white point. This is how any professional calibration would be performed.

nah this is not needed. Also that would require that they could easily measure the nits from the screen in every different device. But as said it is not needed

This doesn’t mean though that each device will have fingerprints from all the QC and calibration when it ships, right?

Definitely not. Don’t worry about that :slight_smile:

That would indeed be awesome.

Thanks for the information and the video!

But seeing “differences” in the calibration filmed by a Camera with white balance set to Automatic and on an uncalibrated screen can only tell us one thing: “Before and after Calibration is different.”

But thanks for the super cool service of calibrating all displays :smiley:

Did you test the results with the glass screen protector yet? Or better with coating plus protector? Basically, if it changes the results much?

@konstantinos screen brightness is often calibrated to reflect paper brightness amongst other things

For instance 120cdm is roughly equivalent to how the image will look when printed on bright white paper stock and is a happy medium

I presume the brightness on the V is stepped? Just wanted to know if one of the steps is close to or can be configured to be close to 120cd :slight_smile:

Essentially from an editing point of view it’s a little useless editing at say 160-200cd when it’s to be printed at something that is 120cd equivalent :slight_smile:

As a reference I have a bad laptop that stepping wise is either 90 or 140cd between steps, hope that makes some sense! Haha

Gotta say, other than the exposure going in and out a lot, this felt like one of the more professional videos yet, definitely better organized and to the point than the live stream. Nice work!

On the screen side, I agree with @Alexander_Halbarth, hard to tell specifics about the different calibrations, but could certainly tell that standard was warmer. Actually when I watched it it almost looked to warm haha. I’m sure it looks great in person.

Why has every video I see of eve hard focusing problems?