How sustainable is EVE V?

Coming from a Nordic company, I would have expected a bit more thought in sustainability of the product! How well or easily can the product be recycled at the end of the life cycle. Materials used, anything coming from recycled material, the use of material that can be easily recycled and have little impact on the environment. Aluminum is all nice in terms of its propensities but an ugly material in terms of environmental and climate impact unless it comes from recycled aluminum.
Seems like you completely have forgotten about sustainability in the design of the product. Take inspiration from the House of Marley.

How is recycled aluminium that much better ?
it needs to be melted again, which is the most uneconomical step in the refinement of aluminium?

Actually the majority of the energy goes into separating it from the chemical bonds of the ore form (most commonly bauxite). When it was first discovered, it was worth more than gold just because of the heat required to release it from the ore. Refined aluminum, on the other hand, is very easy to melt and reform. This is why recycling aluminum cans is such a large industry.

That said, I find it unlikely that any successful computer manufacturer goes out of their way to ensure recycled resources when buying in bulk. There’s a good chance some of the aluminum in the Eve V was recycled at one point or another, but it would just slow things down to require reused material for all the cases.

Ty for filling in.
I think the recycling industry is quite big not only aluminium stuff.

Does Apple count as a “successful computer manufacturer”?

Apple is separate from all others xD

They’re using aluminium which can be recycled. Not recycled aluminium. Big difference there.

“Recycleable” not “made from recycled materials”

Yes, Apple is very successful at using consumer assumptions to make buyers mistake products for something that is “better” or “nicer” without actually promising to do things like recycle the cases, or get materials from recycled sources.

All aluminum is recycleable as long as it isn’t put into a composite structure (which basically no device shell is).

Well, you won’t need to use new aluminium, which otherwise you would…

Ok I try not to get riled up, but I really need to correct you. I’m not an Apple fanboy, I don’t even own an Apple product (nor do I plan on buying one) and regularly argue against many of the choices Apple makes. In other words I make reasoned, thought out arguments and decisions. I’m not saying I’m always right, but I don’t just say things to hear myself speak.

You on the other hand, seem to have a personal vendetta against Apple. Anyone who has read the forums for a significant chunk of time knows this to be true. You have many insightful posts but your own credibility is diminished by the how often you write posts that have the tone of a rude college sophomore.

And while yes, “recycled” is different than “recyclable”, the point of this thread is talking about sustainability in electronics, and I was simply pointing out that Apple puts a focus on this where other manufacturers (to my knowledge) never even tend to mention the topic.

I have no desire for this thread to descend into an argument, so it would probably be wise to get back on topic, the sustainability of the V.

Other manufacturers use the very same aluminium, just as recyclable. They just don’t base some bullshit marketing on it.

It comes from a block of aluminum. They buy it from a guy that sells such blocks. I don’t think that this blocks are complete of recycled aluminum. Normally it’s a mix between recycled and new resources. Every aluminum block you buy will have more or less recycled aluminum in it. But if you want to be better for the environment, the case should have been of magnesium like Microsoft did. It’s as good to recycle like aluminum but you don’t make it from bauxite with lots of heat and chemicals but from about 1qm of water from the dead see you get 34kg of magnesium.

As @dunkeroni pointed out, pretty much any piece of aluminium is easily recyclable. There’s nothing special about that. If I’m not mistaking even the V could be advertised like that. :slight_smile:

The annoying part is just that Apple’s marketing would suggest to people that they put a focus on recyclability for something that is not exceptional at all. There’s nothing special to recyclable aluminium. :wink:

It’s a magnesium alloy, and AFAIK there isn’t that much of magnesium in it. It’s a mixture of different materials, one of which is magnesium…

Probably the only thing other manufacturers do, when you look at the list on the picture linked, which is sad.

It’s not sad… I don’t even know what either of them means lol…

Just something to read about environmental friendliness and recycling electronics - web page isn’t from Apple, but Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/Environment/what-you-can-do/what-you-can-do.aspx

Having taken the V apart, there probably isn’t that much more that would make the V more environmentally friendly. Some consideration could have been put towards the environmental friendliness of some components on the main PCB, but that’s about all that a small electronics company like Eve can do.

The modern electronics component industry strives to reduce toxic and harmful materials in their products. And everyone making assemblies of these components benefits too.

The main point of V’s environmental friendliness and recyclability is that the V is very easy to disassemble for recycling. And also, there are not that many different materials involved.

When I get mine I’ll use it along with my phone and thats it. No more need to get a laptop or desktop (ill use an egpu). It’ll mean a cut down in number of devices i need which overall is more sustainable imo.

“that the V is very easy to disassemble”

Individually - maybe, but not in industrial reuse (use of materials).

Granted.

The V design can be criticised for the use of screws, as the attached screws (steel) separate poorly from the aluminium, brass and plastic in initial shredding, where there is no manual disassembly.

For industrial recycling purposes it is better to clip or glue everything together.

For serviceability the V design is good, but at least the prototype V used too many different sized screws. Ideally the number of screws is limited and they all have the same type and head size (the length and diameter can vary to an extent).

The electronics recycling process

It can be a challenge to recycle electronics because discarded electronics devices are sophisticated devices manufactured from varying proportions of glass, metals and plastics.

The process of recycling can vary, depending upon materials being recycled and the technologies employed, but here is an example (concise) overview.

Collection and Transportation:
Collection and transportation are two of the initial stages of the recycling process, including for electronics waste. Recycling companies place electronics collection bins or other such facility in specific locations and transport the collected electronics waste from these sites to recycling plants and facilities.

Shredding, Sorting, and Separation:
After collection and transportation to recycling facilities, materials in the electronics waste stream must be processed and separated into clean commodities that can be used to make new products. Efficient separation of materials is the foundation of electronics recycling.

Initial shredding of electronics waste stream facilitates sorting and separation of plastics from metals and internal circuitry. So, electronics waste items are shredded into pieces as small as 100mm to prepare for further sorting.

These sorted pieces can then be shredded further to improve material separation. But it is better to limit the shredding as shredding always produces dust, which can be difficult to collect and may be harmful.

An overhead magnet separates iron and steel from the waste stream on the conveyor.

Further mechanical processing separates aluminum, copper and circuit boards from the material stream which now is mostly plastic.

Then, a water separation technology is used to separate glass from plastics.

Visual inspection and hand sorting improve the quality of extracted materials.

The separated streams of aluminum, copper and circuit boards are collected and prepared for sale as recycled commodity materials.

The final step in the separation process locates and extracts any remaining metal remnants from the plastics to further purify the stream.

Preparation For Sale as Recycled Materials:
After the shredding, sorting and separation stages have been executed, the separated materials are prepared for sale as usable raw materials for the production of new electronics or other products.