Hi, I'm Paul :) - a student from Lithuania

Some of you might already recognize me from my rather radical appearance at the specs and feature suggestion threads.
However, I hope it’s not too late to introduce myself :slight_smile:
So, my name is Paul, and I’m a school student from Lithuania. I’m in the last year of high school and have pretty good academic results, especially in IT. Going to study Informatics at the university starting September.
Why I came here, you’re wondering? Well, as you might have guessed, a student needs a laptop. I have an Acer Iconia W700, a nice tablet, with i3-2365M CPU, 4GB of RAM, but it’s not enough. Firstly, it doesn’t have any accessories - I could only find a leather stand for it (which I’m satisfied with), but I need to use a generic USB keyboard with it, which is clunky. Then comes the performance - this 2nd gen i3 with 4GB RAM is just damn slow! And the battery life is only 3-4 hours. Also, it only has 64GB storage. Not the best device for a programmer, eh? So, that’s why I came here. I was looking for a replacement device, but all I could find with equal or better specs were 360 degree convertible laptops - and they’re way too bulky to be used as a tablet. I absolutely fell in love with the Surface Book when I first saw it, but the price is just about 300% too much for me :slight_smile:
The Pyramid Flipper seems like the perfect candidate, because people here seem to be looking for an affordable and slim, yet powerful device, with decent battery life. That’s exactly what I want.
I only regret getting here too late. I found you totally by accident, and I’m unsure of how you are going to sell thousands of devices if it’s so hard to find out about your existence…
Anyway, maybe I should tell you more about myself? But I’m pretty bad at describing myself, so I’d rather you asked me some questions :slight_smile: I’ll be more than happy to answer them.

I think you might have gotten the part here wrong.

From what I’ve seen, Eve wants to have a device with decent power and outstanding battery.

Ah, isn’t that the same thing? :slight_smile: You know, it’s very subjective. IMO, i5 is powerful, and not just “decent”, for a tablet. And I think there can never be too much battery life - so 12h can be considered “decent” :slight_smile:

What do you think we should do to get more coverage?

Put a reward program for the number of people we invite, maybe an EVE gift voucher ? Telling major news outlets (WindowsCentral, etc.) to keep posting articles about us. Spread it by word of mouth. Got two classmates here.

Nice having you here @pauliunas .

Yeah, something like that. Having more news articles would help for sure :slight_smile:

Without any marketing its very difficult to reach for the masses :smile:

@pauliunas [quote=“pauliunas, post:1, topic:805”]
The Pyramid Flipper seems like the perfect candidate, because people here seem to be looking for an affordable and slim, yet powerful device, with decent battery life. That’s exactly what I want…

…I’m unsure of how you are going to sell thousands of devices if it’s so hard to find out about your existence…
[/quote]

Hello and wholeheartedly welcome to the community. Firstly; Yes we are small but that is because at this stage of the community development we only want people like you here. People who are really motivated enough to spend their time to create something better together with us :slight_smile: Most of people are just interested in new devices, not so much how they were created and especially not about what decisions need to be taken.

Let’s be honest, this is an extra burden to any company. It takes resources (that could be spent elsewhere) to share everything, monitor discussions, store & analyze information provided and generated not to mention just facilitate the activity here. But its not the returns we are after.

At eve.community, we believe that something truly outstanding can be created by a global group of enthusiasts.

To really shine, we need to grow. That’s true. Don’t worry though as just as said, you found your way here because we wanted you here. The time to grow the community is in later stages = when the product is ready.

By that time everybody here can be really proud that they were a part of something truly special. We’re all part of a larger “cyber organism” that’s goal is to show the rest of the world that dedicated people can do better. We’re here to challenge the ancient structures of hardware business and most of all, to get the voice of the people out there!

Sincerely welcome to the community, once again :slight_smile:

You’re both right. We feel that the current generation of Core m (if the whole device is designed to take the full advantage of the chipset) can perform as well as Core i in 95% (or more) situations while using almost 300% less power. That’s something.

I think you should take a look at the CPU threads and see how the community arrived to the conclusion.

I understand the urge to get Skylake U (Core i) - that’s the mainstream one, the marketed one, the known one. But that doesn’t mean its the better one. Guys the CPUs cost the same for us. We would not put one we know is worse in the Pyramid Flipper!

But have you really tested a device with Core M5 and a similar one with Core i5? Personally, I haven’t seen a single review giving cudos to Core M for its performance. Sure, they’re giving cudos for power consumption, and for efficiency, but nobody ever said they were powerful processors. I mean it’s usually described from the positive side, so maybe you may have gotten the wrong impression? Because I see the other side of it. Even if the reviews say it’s a good processor, they never mention any CPU heavy usage. And most of them even mention that if you need a good CPu, you should definitely go for a more high-end CPU like Core i5.