HDR Question, not getting bright?

Everything aside, can you guys stop using HDR?

Maybe you dont know but 99% of all PC Monitors with HDR actually do not support HDR. And all of them will make the picture less accurate.

I always have to laugh when i listen to „reviews“ by ppl who read off of the product sheet „Monitor X has HDR its so nice blabla“ without even knowing what the heck they are talking.

1 Like

A lot don’t really do HDR, but the Spectrum is fully DisplayHDR 600 certified. Which means that it is fully capable of HDR.

HDR 600 is not enough for HDR! In fact, turn off HDR and ramp up the brightness in SDR and you will get the same.

On top of that, its not only about the HDR certification, almost all, if not all PC Monitors lack the needed backlight technology, they have a few zones at best. Thats why the image will get less accurate when using „HDR“ with these Monitors.

If we only argue by looking at the „HDR“ certificates on PC Monitors, then yes, all of them have HDR…

Look at the A90J for example, thats HDR.

2 Likes

thats what i did, i turned off HDR and i put the brightness to 100 and i feel like its brighter like that.

HDR 600 is enough for HDR. You seem to be mixing up a premium experience of HDR1000 with this. The entire point of a certification system to to indicate the level of experience you’ll get, and not be swayed by opinion.

So far not noticed an image being less accurate by using HDR.

Iam not sure if iam the one who is mixing up stuff.

The HDR 400-600 certificates are not HDR! They are there to make you believe its HDR.

Its not „premium experience“ vs „normal experience“. You need some minimum specifications for „true HDR“, as its called in the industry. These 400-600 Monitors dont meet those specs.

If you dont see a less accurate image while using your „HDR“ Monitor then i can pretty much, confidently, say that your eyes arent really seeing the details. You are making you believe your are using true HDR because its written on the box and is a option in thw OSD.

There’s a whooooole lot more to HDR than just maximum brightness and local dimming zones. Those are merely tools that help towards achieving a high dynamic range.

HDR is all about showing the widest range of tonality (levels of brightness) on screen. It’s not just about having the brightest whites and the darkest blacks. You also need to be able to tell the difference between colours that are just 1 or 2 brightness levels away from each other. In other words, for each additional level of brightness in the input signal, the brightness change on screen needs to be enough that you can see the difference but not enough that it’s jarring.

This is why HDR mode on the Spectrum doesn’t make RGB (8 bit per channel) signals all that bright. 8 bits gives you 256 levels of brightness, and if you make whites too bright then the jump between the brightness levels is too high. But if you feed in a 10-bit signal, the brightness levels 1/4 as far apart so you need a brighter panel to make it easier to tell the difference between each brightness level.

Local dimming is good because it helps increase the ratio between the lightest and darkest parts of the image. Smaller local dimming zones mean that you can increase the tonal contrast between nearby parts of the image. But even with larger local dimming zones, you can still get good tonal contrast between parts of the image that are further apart.

The Spectrum’s local dimming is done as 16 vertical bands. It’s fine if the changes in brightness go horizontally across the screen, but doesn’t help if the brightness changes go from top to bottom.

And finally… DisplayHDR certification is not some fake thing. DisplayHDR is a standard and associated certification process that’s run by VESA, who are probably the most important standards body when it comes to video displays. If there’s anyone qualified to define what properties a display has to meet to be considered HDR, it’s them. Not some random schmuck with a tech blog or YouTube channel.

3 Likes
  1. Your post actually proves my point, so thanks for that (Dont use HDR on your Eve Monitor or on 99% of all PC Monitors with „HDR“)
  2. Random schmuck/Youtuber? There are bad youtubers but these are the ones who got mentioned in this community (the ones who got review units). Dare to send a review kit to someone who is not just reading off of the product sheet but instead knows what he is talking.
    Certificates😅 There is a whole business on this world making money with bs certificates but i will not waste my time elaborating.

Btw. Have i ever said that HDR is only about brightness and dimming zones? I just gave an example but anyways, your post proved my point even further so…

I’m not sure how you reached this conclusion.

I re-read what you’ve said in this thread and the only actual points you’ve made are:

• very few monitors can actually do HDR (no detail, just that blanket statement)
  • u need moar brightness!!!1!1!

It seems you missed the part where I said that brightness is good, but only if you’ve got enough tone levels in the signal. If you don’t have enough tone levels then the jumps in brightness are too much and the picture looks worse.

Yes, there are a lot of people out there who’ve read a Wikipedia article or two and consider themselves an expert on something. They then go about spouting a lot of opinion and try to pass that off as fact.

I know I’m not an expert on HDR, but I do know enough to be able to tell if someone else actually has a clue what they’re talking about.

Yes, there are lots of companies with BS certifications. But VESA aren’t one of them.

VESA have been defining standards for more than 30 years. Let’s take a look at some of the things that they’ve created or defined over the years:

• the DisplayPort protocol
  • monitor mounting standards
  • the DDC protocol for adjusting monitor settings
  • standard timings for display signals (height, width, sync and blanking)

They’re not just some company that’s out there to make money of bogus certifications. They’re bona fide experts in the video display field. Their members are companies that make display panels. The people who come up with standards have literally centuries of combined experience in the field.

And, for what it’s worth, DisplayHDR certification is completely optional. You can meet all of the criteria for being DisplayHDR, you just can’t use the logo unless you’ve got the certification.

So yeah, I’l trust VESA’s definition of what HDR is. Definitely more than I’ll trust some definition dreamed up by some rando on the internet.

5 Likes

Have you even read my comment?

Btw, i told you that your comment proves my point! You should think about that ; ).

I remember when i told ppl before the release of Cyberpunk that its shit, they didint trust me and said „iam not going to believe a stranger on the internet, i will believe what the Devs are saying“ :joy: Yeah, cause the Devs arent biased right.

After the release i contacted these guys and they apologised.

You are trusting the company too much here, take your glasses off and pay for a course which educates you about display technology.

You know what? I have a better idea. We send one Spectrum 4k monitor to a professional TV expert or calibrater and ask them. If they say that its no real HDR then i get a free monitor from you. If they say „noo, this is perfectly fine HDR experience“ then iam going to send you 2 Spectrum 4k monitors.

My comment will be on this page, i will stand behind my words ; ). I already know who we can send one for a review, but i dont think you will like the outcome.

This is going to be my last reply to you.

And your comment proves my point. I could tell you how, but why should I bother? You never do.

How about this? Eve can send a Spectrum to an organization run by experienced industry professionals, who can then run tests on it and decide if it can actually do HDR. It’d be even better if those people were knowledgeable enough to come up with some sort of standard on what a monitor needs to do to be considered “HDR”.

Oh, wait, that already happened. Those experts are called VESA, and Eve sent them a Spectrum to test. It passed that test, and that’s why it’s DisplayHDR 600 certified.

HDR. Certified. Trusted industry standards organization. What part of that are you not getting?

Wow. This explains everything. You were right once about this one thing, which means you’re always right about everything. I had no idea. I apologize profusely! </sarcasm>

You know what? Stop with the endless complaining and speculation and wait until you have a Spectrum in your hands. Look at images on screen and then make a call about whether you think it’s “true” HDR or not.

In the mean time, I’m going to enjoy the Spectrum that’s sitting right in front of me. I’ll be watching HDR content on it (which looks amazing, by the way), and when my i1Display comes through I’ll do a calibration and see how accurate the panel is. And then I’ll put up some info, backed up by actual facts and data, not just a load of hot air.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

8 Likes

This is comedy right here. I agree with NZgeek about what he’s saying. “ICEMAN” just sounds like an idiot.

3 Likes