HDMI 2.1, G-Sync Intermittent Black Screen, low refresh rate in-game

System:
GPU - 3080ti - G-Sync enabled
Dual Monitor setup (Spectrum via HDMI 2.1, 1080p via DP)

Spectrum:
Adaptive Sync
RTO - Normal

Connected Spectrum for the first time via HDMI 2.1 (Eve brand) after being exclusively on DP 1.4 and noticed some negative issues.

Black screen occurs intermittently, and also rapidly “flickers” off/on for brief moments at random. This occurs in game Warzone, as well as during desktop browsing. The issue is worse on Input 2 vs Input 1.

In some cases the screen goes compley black after changing the game Render resolution from 50 to 100.
I was able to tab out of the game, return to Win desktop. Then could see the game running in the Thumbnail preview of the Taskbar. How’s selecting the game returned to a black screen.

Fixes were force quiting, or the monitor needed to be power cycled. Or worse, the PC would need to be reset.

When I was able to experience HDMI 2.1 in-game, the experience was noteably less responsive than DP 1.4. It was comparable to what gaming in 60hz feels like when looking left to right in game rapidly. However the monitor was set at 144hz.

Is there something not set properly on my end? The cable is seated properly in the monitor, and GPU.

In-game I do have an FPS limit set of 144hz in matches, and 60hz in the Menu. Also running Reflex+Boost.

2 Likes

Try changing hdmi 2.1 cables. My first hdmi cable I tried wasnt being detected so I bought a certified hdmi 2.1 cable off of amazon and it works. Also make sure you have the latest geforce drivers and get the latest driver from asus, evga, msi, etc on their website based on your gpu brand.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a try and report back!

In the meanwhile, is HDMI 2.1 noteably different from a performance perspective compared to DP1.4? Or should there not be a major difference?

HDMI vs. DisplayPort: Which Should I Use for My PC Monitor? | PCMag

Ok so that article gave me a few things to try to improve the “smoothness” of gameplay over HDMI2.1.

Based on the suggested limits of HDMI 2.1, it sounds like it may be better to run the monitor at 120hz with G-Sync Compatibility disabled.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in “smoothness” of gameplay at 144hz compared to DP1.4?

After simply switching to the cable that came with my Series X everything is working as expected. The weird black screens and poor response to movement in game is back to what was comparable with DP 1.4.

Also gaming at 144hz 4k is totally fine despite it not being called out specifically in specs for HDMI 2.1. G-Sync with Adaptive Sync enabled in the monitor works as well.

I guess my next step is to reach out to support for a replacement cable or refund…shame to receive a DOA cable.

1 Like

Update:
The issue is having G-Sync enabled.Eve cable works fine.

Not sure what exactly the root cause is, but I can now re-create the problem.

When launching Warzone with it enabled, I get the black screens, and also poor performance with refresh rate in-game.

After disabling G-Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel all is fine.

I have switched from Adaptive Sync Enabled in the monitor, as well as Low Latency mode. Both have the problem.

Is this an Nvidia Driver problem? GPU? Or has G-Sync support not been fully implemented for HDMI 2.1? This would explain why I had no problems with GSync over DP1.4

1 Like

Update 10/2/2021:

I have determined the issue is a problem that occurs after quitting the game. It seems there is a process or handshake that occurs from game environment to desktop environment.

When the game quits and the Windows desktop returns, I notice a quick flash of black screen after quitting. Then, the monitor starts behaving poorly with the refresh rate (despite it being set to 144hz still).

The workaround seems to be accomplished a few ways.

Disable G-Sync - screen goes black, Windows device disconnected tone is heard, issue is gone, re-enable G-Sync.

Change the monitor refresh rate in Windows (144hz >120hz). Windows device disconnected tone is heard. Revert the change back to 144hz.

Powering the monitor off/on doesn’t work for some reason, despite Windows playing the device disconnected tone. Also powering off the monitor cause the system to hang for a hit before it realizes the monitor is off. It’s easier and faster to use the workarounds above.

Either workaround option has to be done each time the game is quit. But at least I have a fix for now.

@Lore_Wonder can the team check this out?

1 Like

Have you tried Win+Ctrl+Shift+B? It is the shortcut to restart the graphics driver in windows. Might be a faster way to fix your problems

1 Like

After trying that it seemed to kill a lot of the Color information in the monitor, things looked washed out.
I powered the monitor off/on and it looked normal again. I tried it again and the monitor looked normal after it came back. Not sure why the first time I got the washed out colors.

That seems to work too for fixing the issue after quitting out of Warzone. The issue also so far seems to just be limited to Warzone.
I played RB6 Siege last night and everything was acting as you would expect. Exiting RB6 Siege didn’t show the same problems.

I have noticed this in a lot of instances the screen goes black for extended periods of time when switching in and out of full screen mode in games, then comes back. Although for some reason, if I turn off my second monitor and then exit a full screen game both monitors loose connection and will not come back until I hard reboot the system.

Also getting the random black screens for a few seconds doing any task, very annoying.

Hoping the new Firmware update fixes some of these issues.

Using a 3090 with g-sync enabled,
Running both spectrums in 4k/144hz HDMI 2.1, also getting the same problems with DP1.4.

I tried contacting support about it and their only response was to RMA the monitors, but that’s not going to happen unless they stop working all together.

1 Like

I have noticed the random black screens while in the desktop environment also.

Have you tried to disable G-Sync to see if the issues go away?

I gave this a shot today after running into the problem again. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to resolve the problem despite it working yesterday.

The one thing that seems to work each time is opening the Nvidia Control Panel > Disable G-Sync > Re-Enable G-Sync.

Or also powering the monitor off/on again.

I have also been having random black outs, even when just on the desktop. I’m using a new HDMI 2.1 cable connected to a 3080. Monitor firmware on 104.

I’ve just been assuming it’s Gsync related, but don’t know what to do about it.

It seems that having dual monitor create a lot of problem … pretty sure if you unplug your 2nd monitor the black screen will stop happening … I have dual monitor and got black screen only touching menu in UE4 Editor. I disable the G-Sync of my second monitor by ahving an old HDMI cable so I can’t have G-Sync on that monitor (asus) and G-Sync is enabled on my Spectrum and the black screen almost stop happening … happen randomly when doing nothing

2 Likes

I didn’t think to try this, I’ll try disabling Gsync on my 2nd monitor…not that I need it on there anyway.

1 Like

I am having this frequent black out and crashing as I game dota2 for 1-5 minutes… Are they both related? Every time the game loads and I proceed to a high effects menu tab or during game (if I’m lucky enough to reach that part), it just crashes but the unit does not actually restarts.

Instead, all apps including the game are just terminated (end-tasked). And because of that restart, my monitor has a flickered line after crash and blackout. I am not sure if this is monitor related issue or because of my PC.

I have an XFX 6900 xt black, 5600x Cpu, b550 msi bazooka mobo, 2x8 ballstx 3600mhz ddr4, 1000 watts PSU gold

Monitor: 144 Hz 4K eve spectrum

2 Likes

+1 with the problem.

Having it with DisplayPort, screen suddenly goes black and comes back after a few seconds. Sometimes it’s very sporadic, sometimes quite frequent.

I reckon this should have priority to be fixed, it’s really disruptive, especially when working.

Running firmware 104.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read the latest Nvidia driver 470.74 may have broken GSync.

See NVIDIA 470.74 Breaks Gsync (Compatible) Support (Monitor Modulates between 0 or 144hz and Flickers black) - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Internal Nvidia bug 3382581

Apparently Nvidia says there is a fix on their end but we’ll see what happens.

It seems like this issue occurs because when GSync is on the screen refresh rate is spontaneously going under the refresh rate supported by GSync monitors and causing them to black out.

Hopefully Nvidia’s next driver patch solves this.

Perhaps on Eve’s end maybe the potential of changing the GSync Hz range may also solve the issue to avoid blackouts in the future.

470.74 is Linux only, most of us who are reporting issues are using Windows I believe.