Graphics card question

Reading the specs, it seems that the Eve V does not have a dedicated graphics card but that it is instead integrated into the motherboard (I think I’m using the correct terms). Therefore, I assume then that the Eve might not be the best choice for doing video editing and production, using programs like Adobe Premiere Pro or Corel VideoStudio Ultimate. Is that about it?

Best, D.

2 Likes

The V uses an “integrated gpu” or iGPU which essentially just means it’s using the processing power of the CPU to handle the graphics.

There are 2 different CPU options when buying a V:
i7 : Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7Y75 (2 cores, 4 threads)
i5 : Intel 7th Gen Core i5-7Y54 (2 cores, 4 threads)

Both are dual-core mobile chips and not really the best for extended processing. Usually you want as many cores as possible when video editing. They should be able to handle quick operations and 1080p HD video edits easily, but I wouldn’t expect full post processing for a 90 minute raw 4K UHD movie to go by without waiting significantly longer than a desktop i7 workstation can handle.

Part of the problem is how this chip handles temperature and power consumption. It’s optimized for mobile computing and battery life, and therefore is more prone to slowing down its speed during long, intense tasks like video rendering.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit

EDIT: Maybe someone else can clarify this, but I think it’s possible to use an external GPU with the V through Thunderbolt 3 to allow for intense gaming and faster video editing. It adds an additional cost, but when you sit down with the device at home or at work you can plug in the GPU and use it just as well as a normal workstation.

4 Likes

This has been my experience so far.

An eGPU could help but only if the software can make use of it. My understanding is that the newer Adobe products can leverage a GPU to take a lot of workload. I’m still running CS5 so it won’t help me.

3 Likes