GPU to Spectrum and Dell monitor

I’m planning to get the next gen Nvidia GPUs and I’ve preordered the 1440p 240Hz Spectrum monitor. I currently have the Dell P2416D (DP 1.2 & HDMI 2.0). Would I be able to use both monitors with the same GPU at the same time? Spectrum would obviously be for gaming and the Dell just on the side for browsing etc.

4 Likes

Yes. The GPU you will get is expected to have more than one Display Port, HDMI, and possibly Type-C. It can support more than one monitor at the same time.

4 Likes

Daisy chaining should also be possible right?

GPU DP -> (DP In) Spectrum (DP Out) -> Dell Monitor (DP In)

edit: oops, thought OP had the 144Hz Spectrum pre-ordered.

2 Likes

The 1440p@144Hz Spectrum model supports daisy-chaining; it is not available for the 1440p@240Hz and 4K@144Hz models because they do not have a DP video output. In exchange, they have a second HDMI video input.

1 Like

oh right!

I’m not sure if this was asked exactly before, but would this config work for Daisy Chaining?

Laptop TB3 USB C -> (USB C) Spectrum (DP Out) -> Spectrum (DP In)

or would it have to be Laptop TB3 USB C to DP -> (DP In) Spectrum (DP Out) -> Spectrum (DP In)

3 Likes

If the daisy-chaining starts from a TB port, it only supports daisy-chaining through TB ports on the follow-up devices (if they are monitors, they need to be arranged at the end of the chain). Proper versions of DP and miniDP ports, cables, and adaptors are compatible with daisy-chaining the 1440p@144Hz Spectrum. Ports, cables, and adaptors with a different form factor such as USB-C and HDMI are not compatible with DP daisy-chaining.

Update: Because one of the Type-C ports support DP 1.4 Alt Mode, it can also serve as the DP daisy-chaining input.

4 Likes

I am still learning all of this here - so appreciate the patience.
Would this combo work - with just one cable from the computer to the first monitor (Model 1)
TB USB C–> Model 1 DisplayPort 1.4 video input; Model 1 DisplayPort 1.4 video output for daisy-chaining --> Model 3 DisplayPort 1.4 video input
I am considering one Model 1 and one Model 3.
Thoughts?

3 Likes

:smiley: You have found the place! Our community would love to help.

Because this chain starts from a TB port, it is not compatible with daisy-chaining on Model 1 (1440p@144Hz) Spectrum, although TB ports are compatible with daisy-chaining TB devices.

Update: Because one of the Type-C ports support DP 1.4 Alt Mode, it can also serve as the DP daisy-chaining input.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.
What if my starting point is a USB-C on a MacBook Pro 2019 or a Lenovo X1 Yoga 4th Gen?

3 Likes

Starting with a USB Type-C port will not work either, because only if you start with a proper version DP or miniDP port, and use cables and adaptors that only contain DP and miniDP connectors, it will function on Model 1.

3 Likes

Thanks again Lore_Wonder.
Is there a diagram with daisy chaining and with the right connection types? So essentially, I can’t do a one cable rules all solution, right? Or if you can help me understand how I can do a one cable setup with two monitors pls.

3 Likes

Keep in mind though that daisy chaining can limit the capacities of the monitor. This is due to a bandwidth limit in the cable itself, so if you were able to daisy chain 4k@144Hz, you won’t get 144Hz on both.

I don’t know the precise limits from the top of my head. Running multiple cables will always be the better in terms of performance.

3 Likes

If a laptop, probably miniDP, if a desktop, use DP –> miniDP to DP cable for laptop, DP to DP cable for desktop –> Model 1 DisplayPort 1.4 video input; Model 1 DisplayPort 1.4 video output for daisy-chaining --> DP to DP cable --> Model 3 DisplayPort 1.4 video input.

The refresh rate of all models will be limited to 60Hz in this case.

2 Likes

The daisy chaining thing is really confusing to me as well. I have a Model 2 on pre-order - originally it was stated that it supported daisy chaining via display port but my understanding is that is no longer true (since they removed one DisplayPort connector and added another HDMI 2.1). That said, the product specs page still lists daisy-chaining as a capability of one of the USB Type-C ports (oddly the same port that is listed as an input), and has 2 USB-C ports listed

So the important question for me is: is it possible to daisy-chain with USB-C (DisplayPort alt mode) to the Model 2, then from the second USB-C port on the model 2 to the USB-C input on a second monitor (in my case a Dell S2719DC) again via DisplayPort alt mode. I really want to get 2 monitors + power out of my single DisplayPort cable from my laptops and it seems like it should be possible (certainly is with the ports, but maybe not with their chipset?). I really can’t understand why both the DisplayPort alt mode input and DisplayPort alt mode output are listed on the same usb-c port on the spec sheet.

A last ditch workaround is what I’m currently doing (USB-C Display Port Alt Mode + USB host -> Dell monitor, USB host -> DisplayLink adapter -> HDMI -> Monitor 2), but that introduces a bunch of overhead and reduced performance so I’d really prefer to avoid it (or alternatively, see if I can use that to support a 3rd monitor over that single cable :thinking:)

3 Likes

So, then, there is really no one cable solution, right? If I use the DP ports on the laptop, that does not provide charging capability coming from the Monitor, right?

2 Likes

The ‘one cable solution’ is supposed to be for DP 1.4 over USB-C going into the monitor, which would still provide power.
If you use DP from your laptop, then that doesn’t remove the ‘one cable solution’, it just means that you’re not utilizing it.

The whole thing is confusing. It’s got two different descriptions of the USB-C, and HDMI 2.1 is still listed.

2 Likes

Contribute to the discussion about the difference between the two USB Type-C ports on Spectrum.

One of the Type-C ports (let’s name it Port 1) is capable of 100W USB Power Delivery, supports DP 1.4 Alt Mode video input (i.e., can accept video signal), and has USB 3.1 upstream connection to the computer (i.e., can send data back to the host device).

On the other hand, the other port (let’s name it Port 2) cannot do anything listed above, but 15W USB Power Delivery and USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) downstream (i.e., can accept data from connected USB devices). Meanwhile, Port 1 can do everything of which Port 2 is capable.

Neither Port 1 or Port 2 supports DP 1.4 Alt Mode video output for daisy-chaining. I have reported the listing error on the website spec sheet.

If you intend to use one cable to daisy-chain Model 1 while charging the host device, there is no solution available.

Update: We confirmed that because the Port 1 on Model 1 supports DP 1.4 Alt Mode video input, it can serve as the DP daisy-chaining input. Therefore, there is a one-cable solution in this case.

It is because both 1440p@240Hz and 4K@144Hz Spectrum support HDMI 2.1 video input.

1 Like

I thought that was also listed as something they may not be able to include.

So, was it just the edge the edge glass and DP 2.0, then?

2 Likes

Yes. Spectrum does not feature edge-to-edge cover glass and DP 2.0. More detailed information can be found in the following quotes.

1 Like

So the scenario for model 2/3 is laptop -> USB type c -> spectrum -> display port -> 2nd monitor?

2 Likes