Google and data

You raise some valid points which brings me to my hypothetical question. What if in 2-5 years down the track, there is a new government, all Anti-Transgender zeolots who decide to round up all the transgenders in your country and were able to do that because of the very data-collection that is going on presently? The problem is that no matter how benevolent your government is, it’s always changing like the tides. Political winds shift and bigotry, racism, chauvinism, religiocentrism, homophobia, cultural imperialism, discrimination, etc become a predominant theme in leadership in which some cruel-corrupted politicians can eventually get at the data collected today to do some nasty damage not only to your way of life but undo everything that people have in the past century have fought for.

They have set a precedent from which there is no going back by breaking dozens of laws, illegally gather information which sadly, people are becoming desensitized to. The very idea of being spied on 20 years ago would have sparked a Vive la révolution back then but because people are slowly accepting it even if they don’t like it means that the government and the big corporations can keep doing worse. We are standing on the edge of a precipice, from which there is no going back.

Let’s be clear, the government, big companies and even santa, do not have the legal right nor the moral standing to spy on you, period! It is not their business to know anyone’s personal life. One day, that information they have on you, can be used against you at any time. That’s a daunting prospect.

3 Likes

You’re talking about (more or less) democratic government with reasonable free press coverage.
There are many countries where it is quite different though :zipper_mouth_face:

Unfortunatly, more and more the governments are getting the “legal” rights for it, by scaring the population into believing its for our security. That is for example “de sleepwet” which i mentioned earlier, it would legalise spying on large scale without needing to justify it.

As much as I would love to live in a world where spying was not that, that world is not this one. I don’t have the answers, but I do not that becoming a recluse and not participating on the internet, email, phones, etc, is not the way I would want to live.

So yes, I accept that it happens, and when the time comes that they are chasing me and mine, i’ll be in some sort of resistance or hidden or whatever. For now I’ll just try and influence people in my community to prevent it happening on a local scale.

Have the courage to change what you can, the strength to accept what you can’t, and the wisdom to know the difference. A cliche perhaps, but it feels fitting in this dilemma.

1 Like

For anyone really concerned about Google’s data collection habits, one small thing you can do is try Duck Duck Go (https://duckduckgo.com/). It’s a search engine that doesn’t track you or personalize there search (because they don’t have any data to do it with. Pair with a browser like Firefox that’s open source and has Tracking Protection.

As a bonus, if you ever do SEO, Duck Duck Go can be helpful to test how your site is performing since it won’t get artificially put to the top of the list by you going there all the time as it will with Google.

2 Likes