Force DisplayPort 1.2 mode?

I meant to post this in Development for Spectrum as that is where other tech support type topics seem to be posted, but I don’t have the ability to post there.

I received my Spectrums today and they certainly live up to my expectations, but I am having an issue using them through a DisplayPort KVM switch with one particular PC. Both the monitors and this PC support DisplayPort 1.4, but the KVM switch only supports DisplayPort 1.2, and thus the monitors get no signal for that PC when attached to the KVM. I have to plug them into the Spectrum directly, which defeats the purpose of the switch, which I need for work.

On other monitors there is an option in the OSD to force a lower DisplayPort mode, but on Spectrum it appears this option only exists for HDMI. Is there an option to force DisplayPort 1.2 and I just can’t find it?

4 Likes

Such an option could also potentially help with my “30 Hz maximum at 4K via DP” issue.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same issue with my laptop dock not recognizing the signal as its only using 1.1a or 1.2 versions. Definitely a firmware issue as we need to be able to change for backwards compatibility. Found a workaround by using an HDMI to Displayport adapter on my laptop. Below is my thread if it needs to be linked

1 Like

Hi, not a fix for the monitor but if you need to fix this just for you there’s a DP 1.4 KVM that isn’t insanely expensive KVM Displayport 8K DP 1.4 USB Switch, 8K USB Displayport Switcher with Audio and USB 2.0 HUB, 2 Computers Share Keyboard Mouse Monitor Support 8Kx4K@60Hz 4:4:4, With 2x USB Cable, 1x Switch Cable : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (sorry UK amazon but hopefully it has enough info for you to find it locally if you’re outside of the UK) a friend of mine is using it on an LG 27GP950 at 4k HDR 160htz with no problems so should work with the spectrum.

1 Like

As far as I am aware there are only 2 existing dual-monitor DisplayPort 1.4 KVM switches on the market, one of which is incompatible with the docking station I use for my work laptop, the other of which is out of stock for an indeterminate amount of time.

1 Like

yeh, dual monitor is a lot harder, I’ve got the level one tech dual monitor KVM (1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Dual Monitor - Two Computer — Level 1 Techs) but, assuming that’s the one you mean, you’re right, it is out of stock now. I can vouch for it as far as I’ve tested (although not had a 4k >60htz monitor to try), works with my caldigit thunderbolt dock and pretty much everything else I’ve thrown at it so far. When I finally get my spectrum we’ll see how it handles that, fingers crossed.

1 Like

Level 1 is indeed the one I meant. I am currently signed up for stock notifications for that. The other is from ConnectPro and it appears that would work for the majority of people (and if it would, I recommend working with them as their customer service is excellent), but unfortunately their sales team informed me that the specific dock I use for work has been tested and found incompatible.

1 Like

Can anyone help me with something? I try to make a new topic but I can’t. I’m new to this lol. I received my new spectrum 4K 144hz monitor and I got it to work, but my pc and ps5 settings was 4K 60hz. But my Xbox went up to 4K 120hz since the series x can go up to 120. I need some help plz

1 Like

what is the dock you are using for work??.. mine is the HP ultraslim docking station D9Y32AA and EVE Spectrum is really struggling receiving a signal from it … in fact today im working with only an extra monitor instead of my 2 which is frustrating. I’m hoping to get a workaround for the time being but not finding much luck.
On my primary nvidia 3080 machine I have had no issues at all

1 Like

what is the dock you are using for work??.. mine is the HP ultraslim docking station D9Y32AA

Mine is an HP Thunderbolt dock. I can’t get the exact model number right now but it’s not the same one as you–it’s one of the ones with a Thunderbolt and power cable coming out of a big cube that has all the ports on it. Mine works perfectly fine with Spectrum both directly and through my current KVM (the problem with the current KVM being that it doesn’t work with the 3070 in my desktop and the Spectrum due to the two trying to use a higher bandwidth than the chip in-between in the KVM can handle). If you are having trouble getting your dock to work when plugged into Spectrum directly it may be a similar issue (in that forcing a lower DisplayPort version might be a solution in theory) but it’s not the exact same issue.

2 Likes

I’d not seen the ConnectPro when I was looking last year, looks good (obviously other than it not working for you), suspect it’s no consolation at all, but it also appears to be out of stock now :-(.
If you like (and if I can find this thread again), once my spectrum arrives I’ll jump back on and let you know how the Level 1 tech KVM works with it, only a lowly 2080 super but I suspect they’re close enough to be relevant (standard delivery to the UK though so likely to be a while).

More on topic for the though, if anyone from eve is looking, it does seem like the spectrum needs the option to drop to older Display Port versions, it’s been an option on all the monitors I’ve used so seems to be a bit of a miss and does look like it might solve a lot of peoples problems.

2 Likes