For you Naysayers, the ComputeCard is announced for PCs at Computex

For those of you who thought the ComputeCard was only for small things, the Compute Card with a Kaby Lake i5 and 4 GB of onboard storage is being announced at Computex this year as a joint announcement of Intel, HP and Dell.

It is for real!!!

Link to headline below

INTEL DEBUTS COMPUTE CARD AT COMPUTEX 2017 WITH DELL AND HP AS PARTNERS https://youtu.be/Wv8ETAA1_6Y

The cost estimate for high end Compute Cards is $500 with onboard storage and memory. Of course this is an evolving thing and the specs for early entry cards is going to change rapidly as PC manufacturers get on the bandwagon.

Another technology has been released, which to me is even more exciting, it is a battery pack that goes from zero to full charge (first release is charging a phone because of the form factor) in 5 minutes. It also has a higher capacity and is not prone to ignition or explosion. The compute card provides insurance from obsolescence, but this changes everything in my opinion.

Imagine a V that recharges in 5 minutes and doesn’t need a charge for a week after heavy usage and a reduction in weight because the battery could shrink in size to provide a week of power.

As a “naysayer”, I never said they wouldn’t do it. It just said it makes no sense :slight_smile: And my opinion hasn’t changed :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to that fancy battery?

storedot - They are an Israel based company

As far as I’m concerned, unless you really buy into the “One Device for Everything” (The fact that right now, the only accessories for it are tablets and laptops, I doubt you’ll buy more than one ‘shell’ and ever take it out, although upgradable hardware is tempting), a company that lets workers use their compute card at work and at home, or a student who shares devices often, I don’t see a reason to get this. As far as I’m concerned, this probably changes nothing for consumers.

I’d rather take an ARM based device for a fraction of the cost.

500$? Just no.

I think the Compute Card is an amazing idea. Just… not for all use cases.

I see it doing wonders in industrial applications, where you want to embed a computing device inside a box with very specific connectivity and sensors.
It would also be amazing inside Smart TVs or inside NAS systems.
I don’t think it would be useful at all for mobility, on the other hand.

As for the battery… well, I’m still waiting for the next revolution, which I’m starting to hope it will happen sooner rather than later: batteries are largely inadequate at this stage.

Absolutely Agreed, this one shows promise within a year or so

It might make sense for small companies to, say upgrade their “dumb TVs” so that they can use it for, say live demos, conferences, etc.

But $500 is a bit steep,
(especially because with a couple hundred more, you’d get a shiny new state-of-the-art Eve V m3 :joy:)