Feedback/Firmware update

Hi there Eve,

Not sure where to post this because I may be one of the 1st. So i have received my Eve Spectrum today. I have just finished putting it all on a monitor stand.
Firstly the packaging was excellent and did a great job at protecting the monitor. The box I received had clearly taken a large hit to the top area around the handle in the outer box and had broken the packing tape. The black packaging (that we saw made) did an excellent job of protecting the monitor and didnt have a scratch on it.
So after i installed Eve i decided to boot up my work computer which runs through the displayport it had no problem detecting that and came right on, however when I booted my main pc (connected through HDMI1) when i manually selected HDMI 1 it seems EVE spectrum becomes confused and would not display. When I swatched back to displayport it again wont display. It seems like the firmware for the autodetect might be getting confused with having 2 sources at the same time. I will stress though when set to autodetect with only 1 source it will detect either displayport or HDMI.
I’m very happy with the monitor though and what ive seen so far is amazing!
Hope this will be a simple firmware fix for the future.

Thank you for all your hard work. Happy customer here.

8 Likes

I have a PC and a PS5 connected at the same time and have not faced that problem.
However, I have noticed that switching input sources and recovering from sleep mode is a bit slow.
The Spectrum takes about 6 to 9 seconds.
Other common displays take about 1 to 3 seconds.
I hope this can be improved with a firmware update.

3 Likes

Hi again Eve so I have found out what the issue might be. After a day of testing on my work computer and my main pc … Displayport on Eve is running perfect. Displayport cable is working perfectly to my pc too. If I run my displayport cable from Eve to my dock on my laptop my laptop starts to intermittent black screen because the displayports on my laptop dock are only a 1.1a version or 1.2 version depending on detection.
2 issues that has been hampering the problems which are both firmware related. (@Lore_Wonder)

1. If the signal is not detected on Eve monitor then it tries to go in sleep mode meaning you cannot access the onboard menu.
  2. There is currently no way to change the displayport version on the monitor to a different version for backwards capability. unlike the HDMI which is working perfectly.
4 Likes

I can already tell this is going to drive me nuts. I am using my Spectrum as a KVM switch between my work laptop and gaming desktop. If neither device is on and the last device I used isn’t the one I’m looking to use, I’m not able to switch the Spectrum hub to use the other computer as its upstream device. Can this be rectified with a firmware update? cc: @Lore_Wonder @ReignDespair

2 Likes

Already been discussed in the tester Discord channel as it’s something several of us have requested. It isn’t available as a firmware update as it’s specifically an issue with the scaler as the manufacturer doesn’t support the function.

You can still switch video inputs however without the full OSD menu. Once Spectrum detects a video signal it allows full access to the OSD. It does become an issue however if you have sleep settings on the device as you will not be able to change between USB-C and USB-B without the OSD, but you cannot wake the device without said USB.

4 Likes

Ouch. Thanks for the info. Is that discord public / where can I find it?

I obviously don’t know about the scaler limitations so I’m just spitballing here. The input switcher is accessed via up/down on the control nub when the monitor detects no input. Could the USB hub switcher be set to left/right on the nub, so that we can still change the USB hub upstream device while the monitor has no input?

3 Likes

No. As I said it’s the tester Discord channel.

2 Likes

So 3rd day testing this as I was having issues again with Spectrum detecting a signal and so I had to work with only 1 monitor today and so, after work, I tested this in great detail. The Eve spectrum did not detect any signal when directly connected to my laptop even through the 1.4 HDMI port of the laptop (I gave up using the dock for testing purposes as I was getting the same results with displayport) … it will not detect any signal. Its only until I boot into my main computer (which Eve Spectrum detects) and switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 that it will detect a signal from my laptop and remain connected.

This really needs a fix as I’m not sure this is even related to backward compatibility anymore @Lore_Wonder

1 Like

Please make sure you submit a support request on our website with all the details about your issue so our team can look into it and find a solution.

5 Likes

Just to confirm, you have HDMI 2 selected but it won’t detect signal. You switch PC on, which is on HDMI 1, which you then switch to on OSD, and can suddenly switch back to HDMI 2 which now receives a signal?

2 Likes

Yep thats exactly it. I haven’t tested with the displayport but I suspect its the same. I had to do this exact workaround to get Eve spectrum working this morning. At least I have a workaround though lol Customer support were not really helpful either just generic “have you read the instruction manual”.

2 Likes

It definitely doesn’t occur with DisplayPort, at least on my tester Spectrum. I can get signal to my PC on HDMI and SurfacePro with DisplayPort without the other device being on.

1 Like

So I decided to update the firmware to 102 to see if that would fix my problem (had to wait for a USB B cable to be shipped to me) it did not fix my issue with my HP Probook 640 G4. I did however decide to try to use the displayports on the dock model D9Y32AA to see if that improved things, it actually was worse. Spectrum will not detect a signal over displayport by trying my little workaround of booting into my main computer over HDMI 1 and switching to displayport. Over HDMI 2 directly connected to the laptop my workaround is still working and it currently is the only way to get Spectrum to see the signal. The laptop is recognizing Spectrum on all the display menus its just a case of spectrum not recognizing the signal.

1 Like

So I have found 3 ways to upgrade the EVE Spectrum, soon to be 4 probably.

• EVE Firmware Upgrade Method (successful, dongleless) (required HDMI and USB connection)
  • MSTAR ISP Dongle Method (successful, dongle) (only needs PC USB connection to dongle which then connects only via HDMI to monitor)
  • Linux HDMI method (untested, dongleless) (no USB needed at all. Requires lots of manual command line operations, but probably will work)
  • Future Linux USB(?) method (untested, dongleless)

(old pre-edited text follows)

Blur Busters Commentary (non-NDA)

I made a mistake trying to firmware update one of my units that temporarily b0rked the unit, but repeating it over HDMI instead of DisplayPort solved my problem, as well as making sure my USB cable was connected BEFORE I launched the upgrader software. But in this mistake I made some accidental discoveries.

Precedent; I have MSTAR ISPs (same ISP as used to upgrade BenQ XL2720Z) and those work well with firmware updating too. The firmware upgrade instructions were publicized by BenQ and BenQ also authorized the Blur Busters instructions. I’ve been using the MSTAR ISP method with almost every desktop monitor panel; this firmware upgrade protocol has been defacto supplier-standardized even if not always released to end users.

But now monitors are more complicated today, and firmware upgrades are needed more often, and now end users get to firmware upgrade more brands more often. Which reveals some of these firmware upgrade standardization.

Eve Spectrum Also Successfully Upgraded Via MSTAR ISP

Now, Eve happened to send me the very exact same MSTAR ISP during the Eve Spectrum DVT prototype (before it supported USB firmware upgrade). These are little hardware dongles that go between the computer and the monitor, so that the firmware upgrade can be injected as I2C signals over DDC on the HDMI connector. Windows OS does not support doing this natively, but Linux OS does, so you can skip the dongle for Linux – so a non-USB Linux upgrader can probably be done as a bash shell script today.

Today, even the MP unit seems to still support upgrade via an MSTAR ISP – but that’s completely optional because Eve Spectrums support firmware upgrade via 2 methods (via USB, and via DDC I2C). Which means DIY firmware upgrade installers can be written by a software developer outside of Eve, because of what has been publicly written in Blur Busters Forums.

Just in case you’re an old owner of a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and still have the MSTAR ISP lying around from 2014 or so – the same ISP worked to firmware update the EVE Spectrum, too.

I bet Linux firmware upgrade is possible through the Linux instructions for BenQ Zowie XL2720Z monitors that are posted in the BenQ area of the forums. They are a bit complex but fortunately the Linux method does not require an MSTAR ISP.

Three Ways (Er, Four) to Upgrade An Eve Spectrum

So I have 3 ways to upgrade the EVE Spectrum, soon to be 4 probably.

• EVE Firmware Upgrade Method (successful, dongleless) (required HDMI and USB connection)
  • MSTAR ISP Dongle Method (successful, dongle) (only needs PC USB connection to dongle which then connects only via HDMI to monitor)
  • Linux HDMI method (untested, dongleless) (no USB needed at all. Requires lots of manual command line operations, but probably will work)
  • Future Linux USB(?) method (untested, dongleless)

There is no all-in-one bundled Linux utility to upgrade, so you have to manually run through a series of Linux commands to install a .BIN file on an Eve Spectrum.

How To (Probably) Do Linux Upgrade of Eve Spectrum

(VERY MANUAL METHOD)

There’s a big instructions thread for Linux installation of monitor firmwares onto BenQ monitors on Blur Busters Forums which probably can be followed for Linux users to successfully install firmware on Eve Spectrums, but there is also a bricking-risk (you’ve been forewarned).

ISP Tool Version 3.5 (released for BenQ monitor upgrades) only supports MSTAR ISP dongle, requires ISP Tool Version 3.9 to support both USD-method and MSTAR ISP dongle method (I2C DDC).

Firmware upgrade protocol is typically MSTAR standard on most desktop monitors, even when it’s an AOC or Innolux or LG panel. The industry internally standardized on a DDC I2C protocol that now has an MSTAR-standardized USB equivalent. We know this today because (A) the Eve upgrader installs firmware over USB, and (B) the MSTAR ISP upgrade installs firmware over HDMI.

Eve Spectrums support firmware upgrade via both DDC (via HDMI) and via USB, as successfully tested at Blur Busters Lab, so I am 90% sure the Linux instructions for BenQ-ZOWIE monitors will also work on EVE Spectrums, without needing to purchase an MSTAR ISP dongle (required for non-USB firmware upgrades under Windows 10).

An all-in-one Linux utility will be very useful, but today, an advanced Linux users should be able to figure out how to install a .BIN file onto an Eve Spectrum using similiar shell commands used for other monitors (BenQ ZOWIE) since it’s the same DDC I2C firmware upgrade protocol.

7 Likes

Hey, @nmoon83!

To switch video input source when there is no active signal, you can click Enter using the joystick, and then click Up or Down to cycle among the input sources. Furthermore, if the monitor has entered sleep mode, click Enter can wake it up.

Hey, @zachr!

As I pointed out in the comment above, switching the video input source is possible when there is no active signal. Therefore, there are two possible ways to change the upstream connection of the USB hub of Spectrum ES07D03 in your use case.

• Switch the video input source to the device you intend to use. After getting an active signal, activate the OSD and switch the USB hub upstream connection.

Or

• Set USB hub source to select automatically. In this mode, when the video input source is DisplayPort or HDMI, the USB hub upstream connection is automatically switched to Type-B; when the video input source is Type-C, the USB hub upstream connection is automatically switched to Type-C.

It is possible, given the time, that we can develop the ability for the main OSD menu to be opened and saved when there is no active signal. However, this requires extensive programming for our firmware as our scaler manufacturer does not have an off-the-shelf solution. Therefore, we’ll see what we can do after most new features and changes are settled.

2 Likes

This is a very important control schema and should be added to the manual for easy reference if not already there (I didn’t see it). Thanks for sharing it!

Also please consider applying an OCR pass to the PDF. Being able to search for words within a PDF is incredibly useful for trying to find a specific feature/answer like this.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, @Upstaged! I’ll communicate with the team for mentioning this feature in the manual and add search ability to the PDF.

1 Like

Hi all,

I might be stupid here but something doesn’t look right, I’ve been upgrading the firmware and it send the firmware update to the monitor fine. After the power cycle, it said ‘processing update’ which is fantastic. However within a minute, the screen went grainy and has been like this for the past 10 minutes?

Do I keep waiting? Is this normal? Please advise if anyone else experienced this or not. I don’t want to power cycle it if it’s actually still upgrading…

1 Like

The Spectrum supposedly has the ability to recover from a bad firmware update. If it’s been in that state for several minutes, pull out the power and count slowly to 10 before plugging it back in.

With any luck your Spectrum has either upgraded correctly or will roll back as expected.

3 Likes

Hey @Uknn,

Like @NZgeek stated. Please complete an additional powercycle waiting at least 5 before re-plugging in the AC connecting. Please keep us informed how you get on.

2 Likes