Feature Request Dynamic Backlight strobe using eye tracking

So based on the information here
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=4596

I have a tobii eye tracker that I use for VERY specific games but IF we could broker a deal with tobii, we could in theory possibly add a feature to the blur buster tuning utility that can take advantage of the eye tracker to make adjustments to the backlight strobing (changing the strobe phase for example) depending on where your eyes are looking on the screen. Generally when we use backlight strobing, we can manually adjust the position of clarity (on blur buster approved monitors usually) to the bottom, center or top but with eye tracking we could in theory dynamically change that based on where your eyes are looking.

It could be set up with a timeout possibly where if you are playing valorant for example and only watching the center but you look to the bottom or top of the screen for less than 1 second, no changes need to be made. Just an idea.

Edit: JUST TO CLARIFY this SHOULDN’T require additional hardware from eve’s part. Simply software that can hook into tobii eye tracker that customers can buy and the software to send the DDC commands to change the strobe phase (like blur busters tuning utility).

5 Likes

Hi @Liquidshadowfox,

This is quite an interesting one. I will bring it to the team.

2 Likes

LOL! It’s a very good idea. You mean depending on the region where you look. The screen dynamically adjusts for that particular region. At that time, you would see very low crosstalk. Tell me more about that electronic device: tobii eye tracker. I have never heard anything like that. In an OLED panel luckily it is not necessary because your GtG is the fastest unlike LCD.

1 Like

Not much else to say except it’s a bar you put under your monitor to track your eye movements. Very few games use the feature to look around instead of using your mouse or controller like star citizen, assassin’s creed, microsoft flight simulator, etc. The tracking seems almost instant in my eyes as I see the bubble tracking where my eyes are looking so I would think it would be really nice to use this information to dynamically change the variables of the backlight strobing (VRR + strobing or fixed strobe) to change where the strobing will look clearest. I don’t think a single monitor on the planet does this (unless it’s VR headset for FOV rendering).

2 Likes

Hmmm I wonder if there is some more technique or algorithm so optimized that there is zero crosstalk on the screen altogether. I have no doubt that Eve Strobe Utility is very good tool (I hope it will be easy to set up because I have never used that application). I wonder how the Oculus Quest 2 has zero crosstalk. I can easily tolerate the red band that Spectrum will present, but that does not prevent there from being regions with more crosstalk. Not because of the red stripe, I say because of the GtG because it is not the same speed in all regions of the screen. I assumed it was because the Oculus lenses are so tiny, but I don’t think that’s the only reason. I really like the idea about Dynamic Backlight strobe using eye tracking :smiley: It is an interesting proposal. Anything to reduce crosstalk to zero across the entire screen ^^

I mean blur buster chief himself said that he could reduce crosstalk across the whole screen by increasing the Large Vertical total but it sacrifices freesync range in exchange for less crosstalk towards the bottom of the screen.

Long story short, you could limit the freesync range of the 280 hz model to say 144 hz and get close to no crosstalk across the screen but then you are missing out on the top refresh rate. He mentioned he could do VRR + strobe with a lower freesync/gsync range of 200 hz max and it would reduce some crosstalk. Using the above solution however, could help mitigate the crosstalk dynamically and you might not have to sacrifice any refresh headroom to achieve it. It would also be the first in the industry to do/try this if it’s implemented.

Eve I want compensation for my ideas with my screen name in gold letter on the box and you HEAR! lol

2 Likes

I would rather if my games allow me to play at 60hz < 120hz < 240hz without sacrificing anything and getting as low crosstalk as possible across the entire screen. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was very good xd For these kind of ideas you have provided. Frankly it’s great, my most deserved respect Liquidshadowfox. If that would be possible. Eve would have to contact and collaborate with the Tobii company Simulation | The Next Generation of Head Tracking and Eye Tracking | Tobii Gaming

I am really looking forward to trying out my Spectrum ^^ still very excited since I fully paid for the monitor. I’ve been waiting a long time and it’s coming true :star_struck: :sparkles:

I don’t know if it make sense as a firmware feature, but I can definitely see it being an application controlling the monitor through DDC.

1 Like

Yes as an application (namely I think it should be part of the blur busters tuning utility since this is a backlight strobe feature).

1 Like

Hi @Liquidshadowfox,

Having discussed this with the team, it is highly unlikely that we can implement this into our current lineup. As you may have guessed, this will require hardware changes which the current Spectrum lineup cannot accommodate.

However, we are definitely interested in the feature, and it is definitely something that we will consider for future iterations!

1 Like

Hmm yes that is possible in the future (not in the current development). Eve can contact and collaborate with the Tobii company? It’s an excellent idea. I wish the Blur Busters boss would develop more ideas to completely avoid crosstalk in general from the screen without sacrifices. You can always improve but I do not have basic knowledge or fundamentals, with which to think for myself and contribute ideas or solutions :pensive:

Can you please explain what hardware changes? To my understanding, it would simply be a software feature added to the software companion app (like blur busters app or maybe if eve spectrum has it’s own app) and it would simply send DDC commands to change the strobe phase (the position of clarity from top, middle or bottom). The app would simply work with a tobii eye tracker hooked up through USB that customers can buy themselves (no hardware needed from eve, this is an optional feature they can add). Then the application takes the eye tracking input from the tobii eye tracker and using that it can send DDC commands to the monitor to change the strobe phase to either top, middle or bottom to change the location of clarity based on where the user is looking in order for them to get the whole screen appear crosstalk free since the application is tracking where their eyes are looking. Please let me know if the above makes sense and if there are hardware changes that need to be made please explain which one?

1 Like