[FAQ] V Charger Specification

faq
v
charger
specification

That charger most likely outputs at 5v, which makes it 5v x 2.4A = 12w (if 100% efficiency)
So yes you can charge with that, but you won’t be able to use the V while charging, and it’ll likely take about 3x longer compared to using V’s charger

oh why isnt it possible to use it while charging while it is said that the Surface can be used? not arguing or anything, real honest question!
Ah maybe bc it is not powerful enough, is that it? Still my qyrestion, can you please elaborate why the Surface has no pb with ot being used? thanks :slight_smile:

You certainly can use the V while its being charged. If you want the % value of the battery to significantly increase, it’d be best to have the V turned off while using that charger.

Altogether, it doesn’t really matter though. Considering this is a portable battery pack, having it plugged into your V will increase the battery life of the V by a certain amount, and that will not change regardless of whether or not the V is on or off.

What I think @hiddenflaw (happy cake day too!) means is that if your V is already dead, you will have to charge it before you can turn it on, because it might not have high enough output to power the V during use. Whether or not this is true, I don’t know.

Yeah I’m just concerned that 12w might not be enough to power the V and charge the battery at the same time, though it really depends on how you use it.

Hiya guys, flying in here real quick!

I just checked the powerbank linked by @adt and I personally doubt that they support USB-PD in any meaningful way.
Meaning: They don’t at all and just write it because it looks nice (which it admittedly does). But I don’t know which port of them would support PD - QC does not support PD and plugging in a PD-device in a QC port could actually harm the device (please don’t ask me for the link - can’t recall it right now)

This is not true. QuickCharge 4+ certified chargers totally support USB-PD

not all USB-PD are equal
for the V, if the USB-PD doesn’t output at 9V/3A, we won’t be able to get the maximum charging speed. Eg RavPower outputs at 30W (5V/3A or 9V/2A or 15V/2A or 20V/1.5A), which the V won’t take, and it ends up only charging at 18W (9V/2A).

at least, that’s what I get after reading up until now, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Yeah, but I think there is no QC4 device out there at this point - it’s just a specification at this point

@hiddenflaw Partially - it depends on what voltages the V or any other device can take. Also, per USB-PD spec the RavPower should output 9V/3A as it’s recommended per spec to support 9V/3A when supporting 30W :slight_smile:

Razer phone is QC4, it’s charger should be too.
Who wants to test interoperability? :smiley:

Razer Phone support QC4+, and pretty much any Snapdragon 835 device if the manufacturer would just licence it from Qualcomm.

Hi All,

found an interesting battery pack, does anyone think it would work with the V? From the specs: Type-C PD2.0 (5V-20V/2.25A, 45W)

It looks like it should work!

But, as must be mentioned, warranty does not cover use of such things.

USB PD that I currently use is Xiaomi Qb820 which output at 45W. Also support QC 3.0 for 2 port. Charge in and out through 1 USB C port.

For Switch fan, it can also power the Switch dock.

Please check below;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072BD98CM/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512611286&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords

Another interesting yet to delivers is the Omnicharge USB-C PD edition which I’m waiting;

Currently they Offer 2 USB-C ports, 2 USB A (QC3.0) ports. It can be used as a power meter. (Useful to know how devices drawing the power.) Also, it can ask as a USB Hub.

Above: Omnicharge Pro AC/DC version power through AC cable to Sp3.

I backed the previous version of the Omnicharge without USB-PD. It’s actually very good. I use it a lot. And it feels very premium. The only downside of my version is the lack of USB-PD, but I think I will by the new version for my V.

tldr:
I use Apple 29w and 87w supplies to charge my Samsung S8+, Moto Z2, Nintendo Switch, MacBookRetina12, my tiny little earbud case, and just the 87w on a Dell Latitude laptop. That’s what the USB-PD spec is all about, which is awesome. Cheap chargers and cables rarely means PD standard-compliant, which is bad, so I urge you to thoroughly research a product before buying.

I believe it’s worth explaining why it’s a good idea to watch out for non-compliant PD chargers and cables.

As far as I know, the USB-C chargers that Apple makes are some of the most USB-PD standards-compliant power supplies out right now. Their Type-C / Thunderbolt cables are very good quality and will reliably communicate between the device (your V, Switch, phone, etc.) and the charger to negotiate proper charging rates. Their price is high but that’s because the chargers and cables are ‘active’, meaning they have little circuit boards on each end which tell the charger and the device how much volts and amps they’re rated for so the supply doesn’t push too much/different rates and the device knows not to request more than the cable or supply can provide.

And that brings us to the bad…

Many chinese manufacturers figure they can save money by selling chargers and cables for cheap that barely meet even one part of the PD and/or Type-C spec. In the best of times they can cause devices to charge at the lowest rate, not to charge at all, or the cables just won’t work for display output or 5/10/20gbps data transfers that they claim to support. In the worst of times they can cause devices to overload their charging circuits, cables to overheat and melt, or cause the charger to try to output more than it’s capable of. We’re talking actual dangerous things happening as a result.

This site is getting old now, but Benson tested a ton of chargers and cables on the market a while ago and the results were demoralizing. I think (someone correct me if I’m wrong) he just posts reviews on amazon product pages these days, so if you see his name on a review, I’d trust it implicitly.

For cables I found that usually 1 thing does the trick: Searching for 56. Why 56? Because for a PD-compliant cable you need a 56k Ω resistor on each end - manufacturers that know their sh*t will usually mention it somewhere which is an indicator that they comply.
At least this works on USB-A to USB-C cables.

Also, he does not seem to post anything anymore recently as seen on his amazon user page:

@iKirin - Just wanted to check a couple of things going riiiiight back to the top of the topic…

My intention was to buy a 2nd charger in the Web Shop on Monday but from what I could see the charger didn’t come with a cable OR the adaptors (I know the one you get with a V does). The cost of these three things added together stopped me buying a 2nd charger. Did I not read it correctly? Is this something that needs changing for the next flash sale?

Hey helios did you get your v yet? If so, have you already tried if the Microsoft hd-500 (lumia 950 (xl) dock) works as hdmi adapter? If not tested yet, can you pls try it. Thanks alot!!
kindly regards pavl

I’m still waiting to receive my V with the rest of the second batch backers. I might get one of the review units sent my way before then to help with troubleshooting and support, though. I’ll definitely try the MS dock once I get my hands on a V though!

Let us know (I have same dock to test - got it free with 950XL, but unfortunately waiting for HEB 1 TB unit).