[FAQ] I ordered Windows 10 Pro but my V came with Windows 10

v
faq
windows
pro

This article applies to:

IndieGoGo Limited Bird backers who ordered the Windows 10 Pro perk but received Windows 10

The situation

Some Limited Bird backers who ordered the Windows 10 Pro Upgrade perk on IndieGoGo, received Windows 10 (not-Pro) pre-installed on their V. This happened if they did not re-add the upgrade in BackerKit when they finalized their order.

The bad news is, that these backers in effect did not order Windows 10 Pro when they finalized their order.
The good news is, that these backers also did not pay extra for this upgrade.

How this came to be

During the IndieGoGo campaign, we offered separate perks to add a sleeve to your order or to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro. As it turned out, the specifics of these added perks were lost during the BackerKit stage where we offered the opportunity to change, upgrade or add to your order.

During this stage of the pre-order campaign, any ordered perks other than the V itself were removed from your order by the BackerKit system. As these perks were paid for, the value of these perks was still available as store credit. We have communicated that those who wanted a sleeve or Windows 10 Pro ugprade had to re-add it before finalizing their order but we realize now that some people have missed this notice and did not do so.

As a result, backers who did not re-add the Windows 10 Pro perk before finalizing the order in BackerKit, no longer had the upgrade tied to their order and received their V with Windows 10 instead.

We realize that this was not a well-designed process, but it was the only process that was available to us during the pre-order campaign.

What about my money?

Though the accessory and upgrade perks were removed by the BackerKit system, all payments made to IndieGoGo were registered and used to pay the total cost of your order in BackerKit.

If you forgot to re-add the Windows 10 Pro upgrade before finalizing your order, the money you paid for it was instead used to pay some of the outstanding balance for your V. In total, you will have paid the same amount as if you had never added the upgrade on IndieGoGo. No backers over- or under-paid for the goods they received, and no further action needs to be taken.

So how do I get Windows 10 Pro now?

You can upgrade your license directly in Windows. Payment for the upgrade is made directly to Microsoft in this case.

To do this, right-click the Start-button, and pick System. Under the Windows specifications header, you will find Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows. Click this, and follow the instructions on-screen.

This article was updated:

16-01-2018 Added situation summary, clarified what happened with payments
16-01-2018 (First version)