Explorer.exe crashes and windows issues

My eve started misbehaving badly today. It looked like windows stopped responding entirely, I found out that pressing ctrl+alt+delete “fixed” it temporarily until my mouse cursor came anywhere near the taskbar or some yet to be fully understood trigger(seems anything that is built in windows functionality). I have since found that windows actually responds, but the screen is not updated until i hit ctrl+alt+del and hits cancel to go back. Well, it seems the hover state on lists works if you somehow manage to hover the invisible mouse cursor over something.

The event log had quite a lot of errors in it, but the one that seemed to be the most likely suspect was this one that there were a lot of in the time before I managed to get myself to the event viewer.

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: explorer.exe
P2: 10.0.16299.192
P3: 494a4408
P4: twinui.dll
P5: 10.0.16299.125
P6: cd931036
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000c2852
P9: 
P10: 

sfc /scannow came out telling me

Cannot repair member file [l:24]'WindowsInkWorkspace.admx'

and

Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\en-US

Then I tried

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

But it only complained source files could not be found.

One thing I have noticed and been kind of worried about is that windows seems to report that my disk needs checking very often and has done so since day 1. chkdsk reports no faults by the way. I also had to jump through hoops forwards and backwards and around again to get windows store to work when I got it, maybe something is funky about my device and/or windows install?

Any tips will be appreciated, as right now it is borderline useless…

Use the following commands first (in order), and it should correct this.

chkdsk /offlinescanandfix

Restart here and let it do it’s thing (I know you did it already, but it doesn’t hurt to do it again)

dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Shouldn’t complain about source files any more.

Chkdsk was done before I had a chance to see its output this time, and now my windows works again. I only did an online chkdsk the first time just for the heck of it, didn’t really think it would do any good. Boy do I feel like a fool after all the time spent trying when the simplest thing did it… :blush:

Thanks guys!