Eve V Wear and Review After ~7 Months

Hi all. I’m a Hyper Early Bird i7 V owner. I’ll start this little review by first stating that I am still very happy with my Eve V. I use it every day at university and it has made life significantly easier (coming from having no laptop).

My university degree is physics, so I write with the V Pen for long periods of time, every day. In general, the writing experience is great. It would be better to have more pressure sensitivity - despite 1024 levels I think there may still be an issue with the drivers causing the pen input to be recognised below a certain level of pressure. The pen input latency (which is very little) is easy to get used to, so I don’t notice it anymore. There is an issue with OneNote (where I write all my notes) where after scrolling quickly through long pages of notes, the OneNote page turns white and OneNote must be restarted for the notes to reappear on the page. This doesn’t appear to be exclusive to the V, however, I have seen reports of this bug from SP4 users. There is also sometimes an issue with the V Pen where after using the eraser button for 7+ seconds, the eraser won’t deactivate after the button is unpressed. This can be fixed by pressing the eraser button a few times - though annoying, it is an easy fix. I’ve also noticed that on occasion the pen input simply isn’t detected, though I suspect this is just a V Pen battery life issue - twisting the pen top to disconnect the V Pen battery and then twisting it back on (essentially a hard restart of the V Pen) fixes this issue.

After about 6 months, the first V Pen nib became very loose and actually fell out of the pen. Replacing it with one of the provided replacement nibs was no problem and it fits very tightly. There is quite a bit of paint scuffing on the V Pen, especially around the tip, likely due to the high amount of use it gets:

I might replace the V Pen with one of the new Surface Pens soon. Since the Surface pen also has the flat side, I imagine it would stick to the V much stronger with the magnets - the V Pen is held rather weakly.

The V itself is wonderful, I haven’t had any problems at all with it. Other than university work, I do a lot of web development, design, and programming in general (PhP, Matlab, Python, C) and it powers through those tasks without a hiccup. Obviously Word documents have no problem - though if there are like 100+ equations in the document it does start to slow down when scrolling. Adobe Illustrator runs quite well and is nice to use with the pen. Adobe Photoshop gets a bit slow for large projects, but otherwise has no issues.

Since I use the V with the magnetic sleeve on a daily basis, there is a fair bit of paint scuffing on the edges but also on the back in two very distinct places:

This must be an issue with the design of the sleeve - there isn’t any other way that those scuffs in the back corners of the kickstand could have happened. Also, I recommend removing the pen before the V from the sleeve so that the Pen’s clip doesn’t scratch down the side of the V (this also means the pen must be put in the sleeve so that the clip is turned away from the V).

The keyboard is generally very nice to type with - the keys have great travel (especially compared to the new MacBook Pros), and have a nice clickiness to them. Occasionally the ‘M’, ‘N’, ‘B’, and the ‘F’ key when pressed feels like it is snapping back into place, which is a bit strange but doesn’t actually affect the input. The touchpad is pretty good, all the gestures you could want work. I have noticed that sometimes when using the touchpad without a solid surface behind it, the bottom edge of the touchpad refuses to click down (but tap to click still obviously works).

I have some issues with the pogo pins on the keyboard. Sometimes I notice that one or two of the pins are bent a significant amount forwards - the first time I saw it I kind of freaked out. The bent pins can just be pushed back in line with the others and they almost click back into place. I’m not sure if this is by design, but it was a bit freaky. Sometimes the touchpad can also be a bit inaccurate when trying to very finely click on things - it might click on the thing very slightly next to it.

The great thing about a device like this is that perhaps in the future, Eve-tech can release an upgrade to the keyboard that fixes these issues.

Otherwise, I’m still happy with my i7 Eve V. I might get the white carbon-fibre dbrand back skin to cover up the scuffs and protect the device from the sleeve (that is a weird thing to say). Who’s tried one of the dbrand skins? How did they turn out?

Really insightful review, I hope more people come back to give their long-term reviews on the device!

Thank you! I hope to see more too!

There were V’s delivered in November?

Yes, the first Eve backers.

I put a dbrand on mine immediately - black carbon on the back, white carbon the trackpad. Easy to fit and I just like the added protection. Nice feel to it too. So definitely recommended from me.

I’m mega careful with my devices but even then I know minor scuffs, marks can’t be avoided so always put dbrand, cases or screen protectors on when I can.

Agreed with everything, the material quality is top-notch. The chassis is significantly stiffer than my Yoga 720, considerably stiffer than SP3/SP4, on the same level as MBP, but the paint isn’t exactly spectacular. To be fair, my SP3 and SP4 also had the same problem, but they have similar paint color as the raw material of the chassis, so its not so apparent.

Keyboard was problematic, but I got a replacement from warranty. I can tell that the newer keyboard has been revised, at least in term of the key prints (less kerning, super apparent in the “oops!” text). If I had to complain about the touchpad, its the click thats super stiff. its stiffer than the second click (Force Touch) on the MBP! And the size of course, but thats to be expected

Its not the pen clip, its the pen body, deeper in the sleeve. if you gently put your finger on the pen through the sleeve as you insert the V, you can feel them rubbing against each other. there’s no way to avoid this.

the two spots on the leg plate is a mystery though. i have a skin on the V so i cant comment if my sleeve is causing friction in that area like yours is.

That sounds great, I’ll definitely invest in a skin then! :slight_smile:

That is very interesting. Hopefully Eve will allow separate keyboard purchases in the future so old backers can try the revised keyboard.

I’ve noticed scratching from both of those areas. Perhaps there will be a sleeve design revision soon enough.

I have exactly this with mine, soon as flat again, no problem. I thought it was to do with angle of touchpad, but you might be right about it being with no solid surface underneath.

Same with my keyboard.

I hadn’t noticed the loop for the pen in the magnetic sleeve until just before I read this thread. I just put the pen in the nook between the sleeve itself and the lid. It seems to hold it alright.

i also have those wanky pogo pins.
My delete button falls off on a daily basis(happened within one month of use, so March, and it’s not broken, cuz i can snap it back) and one or two of the connection pins has been wanky since May… I suspect that the magnetic snap is too strong when you connect the V with V keyboard, tearing it sideways.

Don’t think it’d be covered by warranty :smiley: ? But does the surface pro keyboard fit? If so, anyone knows if there’s a non- Alcantara option?

Did you contact support already?

I just did, couldn’t hurt asking…still traumatised by the v delivery experience though😅
But the crooked pin does sometimes cause connection issues.

I’m not too attached to the keyboard, secretly hoping there’d be a version without the fancy material.

Btw, is it normal to feel a bit of a buzz when using while it’s charging? I added a dbrand skin, hoping it’d help but meh, it was “electrifying” everytime I draw with v plugged in.

Thank you for this review! Your usage is similar to what I’m anticipating when I get my V, so your review is really helpful.

When was the delivery?

Perhaps you should see your family doctor, because such a trauma should not usually last more than a few hours or more. (Maybe get a DNA test, it could be hereditary or cultural)

Yes the buzzing is normal because the power plugs are not earthed and just lets you know that it’s plugged in and turned on as well as letting you know you’re still alive and well.

In fact I got a real buzz when I unpacked my V first the first time. (A different kind of buzz, of course)

And I still get that kind of Buzz every time I use it.
I just love my V!

BTW It’s a pity that you let the secret out about the Alcantara, and now it’s no longer a secret.

I’m glad to have helped! :slight_smile:

I hope you were joking

I’m staggered that you even had to ask or suggest such a question.